Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Red Sonja: is really possible to translate this character to live action.

Without turning it into something unrecognizable?

Extraordinary Member

It already has been about 30yrs ago. But an updated version could work but WW probably already stole her thunder.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    It already has been about 30yrs ago. But an updated version could work but WW probably already stole her thunder.
    Don't think so. She's not as PC as WW.

Guess we'll find out.

Personally I'd like at least one attempt at Red Sonya first.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Don't think so. She's not as PC as WW.
    Well that's the thing we're in a very pc climate right now in terms of hollywood movies anyway. Without that edge ga are most likely to see her as a WW clone.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I stopped reading at "Courtney Solomon."

Sure, you could do a good film version of Red Sonja, but you'd have to give her more of a vocabulary and less of a self-important attitude than she's always had in the comics. "Conan in a bikini" won't cut it.

Hire Jessica Biel.

Ultimate Member

Why not? They did it with Conan, and that was back in the 80's. I doubt that it'd be that hard really. I wonder if they'd give her the chainmail bikini (they didn't in the old film)?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Without turning it into something unrecognizable?
    Define unrecognisable, because the bikini is not happening.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Well that's the thing we're in a very pc climate right now in terms of hollywood movies anyway. Without that edge ga are most likely to see her as a WW clone.
    You wouldn't need a big budget and I could see something like a glorified B-movie happening here. More like Blade/Dredd/Deadpool less like hundreds of millions WB blockbuster. Sorry, I just dropped in spontaneously and have no idea what kind of movie is happening.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Define unrecognisable, because the bikini is not happening.
    A mean a film that most people who are familiar with the franchise would recognizable as Red Sonya. Rather then some generic action film that will be called Red Sonya, but otherwise will have nothing else in common with the source material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    A mean a film that most people who are familiar with the franchise would recognizable as Red Sonya. Rather then some generic action film that will be called Red Sonya, but otherwise will have nothing else in common with the source material.
    I don't know... she's pretty generic to start with.

Female Conan Red Sonja with a J is kinda generic. Original Red Sonya of Rogatino with a Y could be fun.

Though come to find out the production company behind bringing back Red Sonja is the same one who tried (and failed) to bring back Conan with Jason Mamoa back in 2011. Not sure if that's good or bad.

It would have to be a really out of the box concept... just sticking her in a generic fantasy movie with craploads of gaudy CGI behind her would result in failure. Especially if there's no chainmail bikini to at least bring the horndogs into the theater.

But I'm fairly certain what we're going to get is ... a generic fantasy movie with craploads of gaudy CGI.

BANNED

I'm not familiar with the source material, tbh. Does she have a chainmail bikini in the original text?

Regardless, if this is done as an R-rated show, it could be bigger than Deadpool if done in the same vein as Schwarzeneggar Conan

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm not familiar with the source material, tbh. Does she have a chainmail bikini in the original text?
    As a comics character, she has always had some variation of the chainmail bikini. (Robert E. Howard's original "Red Sonya" had no real connection to this character apart from the name.) Some writers, like Gail Simone have tried to tone that down and have her dress more logically for her environment, but the cover art at least has usually featured the CMB. I don't know whether that's at the behest of the Lieberman family (which owns the character) or Dynamite Comics.