View Poll Results: How Would You Rate It?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • O - Outstanding

1 4.17%
  • E - Exceeds Expectations

4 16.67%
  • A - Acceptable

8 33.33%
  • P - Poor

1 4.17%
  • D - Dreadful

2 8.33%
  • T - Troll

0 0%
  • Did Not Watch

8 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This whole scene sums up my problems with the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKRY1U5AMs
    What's the problem? I'd kill for stuff like this in modern shows

Nostalgia goggles can block a lot of things.
    Or maybe an appreciation of the intention behind the writing makes you appreciate the show more

Nostalgia bashing is such a cliche. Why can't people still enjoy what they loved as a child? Why do we have to turn against this stuff? To look "edgy" and "sophisticated?". How boring.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-27-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Or maybe an appreciation of the intention behind the writing makes you appreciate the show more

Nostalgia bashing is such a cliche. Why can't people still enjoy what they loved as a child? Why do we have to turn against this stuff? To look "edgy" and "sophisticated?". How boring.
    *sigh* I never said we can't enjoy what we loved as a child. I wasn't nostalgia bashing. And it's most definitely not about looking "edgy" or "sophisticated".

But just because we loved something as a child, doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to it's flaws, especially when we haven't watched that stuff in a long time(talking about myself specifically). And I'm sorry, intention doesn't mean a thing if it's not executed well.

Because nostalgia goggles do block a lot of things. I just had that experience watching that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Neither did I. I heard that and I was like, "Wow, that... really doesn't sound good."

Nostalgia goggles can block a lot of things.
    Yeah, though the dub I watched originaly was another one, and I'm pretty sure in that one MJ sounded like her age, but still, I did watch the english dub some years ago, and I didn't notice MJ's voice somehow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Dude, she bridged herself, a Gwen Stacy 2.0 could easily happen, and she did that to prove that Peter would be always there for her? She risked her life for that? Not only she sounds like a teenager, she acted like one, a really dumb one...

I also don't like Spidey swinging around the city without his mask, really don't likie when he starts to risk his secret identity being revealed just like that.

"Let's make MJ jump from a fucking building because she wants to prove to herself that Spider-Man will always be there for her despite the risks of her being injured"

Yeah, dumb intention, it's one of those purely romantic scenes which don't have much thought on it.

Well, people who are nostalgic often outright ignore flaws something may have, I've seen people saying that 90's Spidey has a better animation than Spectacular, that's how delusional someone can be.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, people who are nostalgic often outright ignore flaws something may have, I've seen people saying that 90's Spidey has a better animation than Spectacular, that's how delusional someone can be.
    Usually when they say that, they mean they like the style better. Even that’s debatable, though, as I prefer Spectacular’s animation style.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I've not seen it so I voted ''did not see it''. Not because I'm not interested, just haven't had the opportunity.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

With TAS vs. Spectacular, it's not animation style that's being compared, it's art style. TAS's character designs looked a lot like they belonged more in an actual comic book than an animated series, while Spectacular's were more . . . cartoony. The former was more visually appealing, but didn't flow well in terms of actually being animated, while the latter's simpler, more cartoony designs allowed for greater fluidity and smoothness when actually animated.

That aside, I concur with everyone who enjoyed the first season of the newest Spider-Man cartoon. While the hyper-emphasis on science could get grating at times, and at least some of the characters were a bit annoying, I did like how the series and all the characters developed over time, particularly with Harry spoilers:
    finally realizing his dad was a malignant @$$hole more concerned with power and dominance than his or anyone else's well-being and rejecting him in favor of his friendship with Peter.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Usually when they say that, they mean they like the style better. Even that’s debatable, though, as I prefer Spectacular’s animation style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    With TAS vs. Spectacular, it's not animation style that's being compared, it's art style. TAS's character designs looked a lot like they belonged more in an actual comic book than an animated series, while Spectacular's were more . . . cartoony. The former was more visually appealing, but didn't flow well in terms of actually being animated, while the latter's simpler, more cartoony designs allowed for greater fluidity and smoothness when actually animated.
    Problem though is that I saw at least one person talking about the animation itself, not the art style...

I loved TAS as a kid and I still love the show, and some of that love for the show today comes from how hilarious it is. The pacing, the awkwardness, the choppy animation- sometimes it just all is so cheesy that I laugh but the intentions behind the show are pure and it still is fun to watch.

Mighty Member

It's been....just okay. I appreciate that it's a more plot-focused series and there's some actual development with the characters. But the writing for them is so sloppy, particularly for Harry and the whole conflict with Peter. It's supposed to be the heart of the show, but it's really weak. The pacing for it is also just too fast. We barely know Miles before he gets powers (and uses them faster than Peter), and not too long after, Spider-Island! Otto's transformation into a villain is going nicely...nope, now a villain. It really needed to slow down a bit.

I actually like the art style a lot, but the animation could be better. The coloring and lack of shade also affect the art style a lot.

I also like that Peter's portrayed as smart, instead of the group idiot that USM had him as early on, but often. Though they do emphasize too much on science.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 02-28-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Mighty Member

Regarding the Spiderman TAS scene with MJ: That made me laugh so hard.

ANYWAY, this show is... okay. I mean it was a show that one will tend to forget exists. So it's while it's not HORRENDOUSLY bad, it isn't all that great either. There are some things that are great, but then it is offset by things like Harry's irrational hate of Spider-Man that would even have J. Jonah Jameson scratching his head. I'd say there are a few episodes worth watching, but I'd say a majority can be forgotten. It's no Spectacular, or S:TAS...but It beats most other modern Spidey cartoons

Is it as good as Spectacular? No. But as a return to a more traditional and proper Spider-Man cartoon after Ultimate Spider-Man, I think it's turned out to be a fairly solid and fun Spider-man cartoon, even if I do have some issues with it.

The voice cast is pretty solid, especially with some of the more surprising casting choices, like Josh Keaton as Norman Osborn or Scott Menville as Dr. Octopus. I think Robbie Daymond's Peter started a little rough but he really grew into the role as the show went on and has proven to be a pretty solid Spidey overall.

The animation isn't really anything to write home about, not that that's new for the current Marvel cartoons, though once you get used to it the animation is serviceable and the action looks okay when they're not constantly using slo-mo.

The character designs are...interesting. I can't say I'm in love with all of them, but some them are kind of fun takes on classic characters.

I get what they're going for with all the emphasis on Peter's smarts and love of science, even if I think they do go overboard with it to some degree. I also don't think all of Peter's main friends need to be scientists.

I do appreciate that Peter develops his own tech and isn't reliant or focused on Iron Man. And Uncle Ben is actually important to him.

I don't enjoy the fact that Spider-Man constantly needs to get bailed out or saved by his supporting cast, even when they're just civilians, but I can't say I'm surprised given who's consulting on this show.

I'm also worried that the other Spiders are going to make Peter either feel redundant, or Peter will make them seem redundant.

It's nice to see a little more traditional Spider-Man supporting cast, even if not everyone in it is part of Peter's traditional supporting cast, though it's yet another show that falls into the trap of having the main cast be comprised mostly of people who will all inevitably put costumes on.

I also don't think the supporting cast is used as effectively as they could be or compared to Spec, and they don't seem to develop them much beyond putting them in costumes (Harry aside).

I guess it's nice to see Miles and Anya in a cartoon, especially the latter given she's still in limbo in the comics, even if they hardly resemble themselves from the comics at all and don't naturally fit into a Year One Peter Parker Spider-Man cartoon. And poor Miles is just relegated to the sidekick role once again and doesn't even get to have a proper codename.

It's a bummer Peter still can't have a love life in animation, but it's not too surprising for a modern Marvel cartoon. It's an even bigger bummer that this is the first Spider-Man cartoon in a long time where Mary Jane isn't a main character (at least in USM she started as important before she started appearing less and less in subsequent seasons).

I think Peter and Harry's friendship as portrayed on the show is very believable and genuine (especially since their VA's are best friends in real life) even if the show's constant contriving of Harry's hatred of Spider-Man got increasingly more ridiculous and annoying over time.

I like having a developing Rogues Gallery and classic Rogues portrayed prominently in a Spider-Man cartoon again, and even the guest villains don't feel that egregious. I also think it's cool that we finally have the Jackal as a proper villain in a Spider-Man cartoon. Though there are certain villains (Vulture, Scorpion, the Smythes) who I feel like the show could do more with.

I love that the show brings back story arcs and sub-plots even if I feel like they rush through them at certain points. I feel like the Venom arc and Otto becoming Doc Ock deserved a lot more focus and time to develop then they ended up having. That being said, I think the build-up to and the whole Spider-Island five-parter was pretty good.

I think the overall season is alright at best. The origin mini isn't great mainly cause Peter is obnoxious in the first part of it, he's also obnoxious in the entirety of the first obnoxious episode. From episode 2 until the fourteenth episode I thought it was basically forgettable stuff, and it made me miss Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Episode 15 and onward are pretty good, but they have flaws that hold them back from being better packages of entertainment.

Oh, and the 90s cartoon is an overrated mess, entertaining for sure, but boy is it a mess, and I don't just meant the overly fast paced storytelling most episodes suffer from, there are more missteps with that show like being Kingpin's personal squeezy toy, and needing to be saved every time he teams up with another character be it a superhero or someone like Flash Thompson and J. Jonah Jameson.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't enjoy the fact that Spider-Man constantly needs to get bailed out or saved by his supporting cast, even when they're just civilians, but I can't say I'm surprised given who's consulting on this show.
    It's Slott isn't it? Geez lol.

I'm also worried that the other Spiders are going to make Peter either feel redundant, or Peter will make them seem redundant.
    They could make shit like putting emphasis one each Spider's particular talents and power to separate them, but it doesn't seem like they'd think that far.

I'm curious how a team of characters with the same powers would work, didn't DC's Captain Marvel family worked together and they had all the same powers?

I barely got through the first episode. I'm not a fan of the animation, but mostly I was really put off by Peter's portrayal. Most of his dialogue was as cringe worthy as his dialogue in the 70's. TAS could have some corny lines, but this was too much for one episode imo.

To clarify, I liked TAS and Spectacular. Could not get into Ultimate constantly emulating Deadpool's fourth wall breaking. I like fourth wall breaks, but Spider-Man isn't the right character for that.

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    I barely got through the first episode. I'm not a fan of the animation, but mostly I was really put off by Peter's portrayal. Most of his dialogue was as cringe worthy as his dialogue in the 70's. TAS could have some corny lines, but this was too much for one episode imo.

To clarify, I liked TAS and Spectacular. Could not get into Ultimate constantly emulating Deadpool's fourth wall breaking. I like fourth wall breaks, but Spider-Man isn't the right character for that.
    Oh god. You had to mention Deadpool. that episode where Deadpool guests stars was so bad that I think the writers intended to physically hurt me with it.