Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think it was intentional but I'm not sure if it was meant to be saying anything particularly; I had some ideas what it cooould be saying tho.
    Ok. I’m interested. Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Ok. I’m interested. Do tell.
    how I see it, it's reflective of the difference in what the impossible and wish-fulfillment mean in relation to a black superhero vs a white superhero. in Action Comics, Superman's lifting a car over his head, smashing it, (an impossible thing) to protect the weaker beings; for Black Lightning, however, the car is crashing into him head-on and, impossibly, demolishing against him. I think it's an interesting flip, the wish-fulfillment is expressed through the white Superman as an all-powerful being choosing to use his power to protect others weaker than he, but for BL (in a way DC's black Superman) that same wish-fulfillment is expressed as a being that's powerful enough to face adversity head-on in a way that's impossible in the real world.

Like I said, iunno if it was meant to be saying in particular, but there is something to be said about how a white hero's conflict in a similar scene tends to be proactive/active and are meant to invoking something awe-inspiring, whereas the black "urban" hero (as Black Lightning in this era was definitely firmly in the urban hero" category in this era of his character) is typically more reactive and the scenes are more confrontational.

Admittedly, it could just be me looking too hard into the parallels and coding, but I still think it's a sound insight
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-13-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Do you guys think Black Lightning will be aged up to his Pre-FP status as the new timeline approaches?
    I always found it weird DC kept him younger at the same time his show aired. I always liked him more experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Do you guys think Black Lightning will be aged up to his Pre-FP status as the new timeline approaches?
    I always found it weird DC kept him younger at the same time his show aired. I always liked him more experienced.
    I certainly hope not. He started out a relatively young man and out of nowhere he was aged up to be older than his peers. Having that be the case, there was so much to his character that we were denied. I want to see his story unfold in the same manner as many other classic characters. I want to see his experience.

I still appreciate them having an older take on Jefferson in the CW show. (Old Man Lightning) It allowed for a built-in “Lightning Family”. That then allows for a fresh, younger take on BL to be made in a film such as The Outsiders.

Same here....

One way or another I'm betting Anissa and Jennifer are going to be his biological kids again.
    I certainly hope not. He started out a relatively young man and out of nowhere he was aged up to be older than his peers. Having that be the case, there was so much to his character that we were denied. I want to see his story unfold in the same manner as many other classic characters. I want to see his experience.

I still appreciate them having an older take on Jefferson in the CW show. (Old Man Lightning) It allowed for a built-in “Lightning Family”. That then allows for a fresh, younger take on BL to be made in a film such as The Outsiders.
    He never really seemed that old to me even though he had adult kids. At least they didn't really depict him that differently from a man in his prime.

Although for a given definition of old I'd say TV Jeff isn't all that past his prime compared to most "Old Man" versions.

Not that I don't understand wanting to see a fully-fleshed out and long lived history for Jefferson as Black Lightning, but I don't think that's something that can really be afforded by the current comics climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not that I don't understand wanting to see a fully-fleshed out and long lived history for Jefferson as Black Lightning, but I don't think that's something that can really be afforded by the current comics climate.
    I feel like Batman and The Outsiders is doing a fantastic job of that. I love what I see of this younger Black Lightning under Bryan Hill’s pen. I appreciate the character’s journey.

Astonishing Member

I think it comes down to characterization. I don't have a problem with a Black Lightning in his early 40's with millennial daughters as long as a writer doesn't focus too much on how he's "been around the block" or "getting too old for this". As great as the family aspect is, it's important for him to not be depicted as outside the age range of his peers.

Give the character history but not so much so that he begins to feel like he's past his prime in comparison to Batman and other heroes. For the most part previous writers have been able to find that balance so I'm not too concerned when DC inevitably decides to reinstate Jennifer and Anissa as his kids.

I feel like Batman and The Outsiders is doing a fantastic job of that. I love what I see of this younger Black Lightning under Bryan Hill’s pen. I appreciate the character’s journey.
    It's a good book, and a good book for Jeff, although I'd prefer solo Black Lightning content.

Mighty Member

I much prefer a younger unmarried childless Jefferson and I hope he remains that way for the foreseeable future. I think his current portrayal in Outsiders is great for his character, he is very much in the spotlight after years of practically being in limbo. To suddenly age him up and saddle him with a family would be like strapping an anchor to him, it would only drag him down; and most likely the story would start to shift to his daughters. I think Jeff is in a great place right now and I see no reason to change anything. I particularly like his dynamic with Tatsu, they are great together.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think it comes down to characterization. I don't have a problem with a Black Lightning in his early 40's with millennial daughters as long as a writer doesn't focus too much on how he's "been around the block" or "getting too old for this". As great as the family aspect is, it's important for him to not be depicted as outside the age range of his peers.

Give the character history but not so much so that he begins to feel like he's past his prime in comparison to Batman and other heroes. For the most part previous writers have been able to find that balance so I'm not too concerned when DC inevitably decides to reinstate Jennifer and Anissa as his kids.
    I'd imagine the best compromise would be to have his daughters be adolescent when/if they reintroduce them, like Teen Titan age or a little younger (Young Justice age at oldest); that sweet spot Batman's been in with Damian. However I do like the idea of watching Jefferson develop into the older "dad" iteration of his hero career more than I care about Thunder and Lightning being reintroduced; I'd like to see him meeting Lynn, moving to Freeland, having career defining adventures, just really build a mythos around him. I think there needs to be a way to develop characters over an extended period of time in DC so we could have Jeff grow into his fatherhood, as it stands at DC you can only exclude them entirely or suddenly introduce them at the age where they can be useful.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'd imagine the best compromise would be to have his daughters be adolescent when/if they reintroduce them, like Teen Titan age or a little younger (Young Justice age at oldest); that sweet spot Batman's been in with Damian. However I do like the idea of watching Jefferson develop into the older "dad" iteration of his hero career more than I care about Thunder and Lightning being reintroduced; I'd like to see him meeting Lynn, moving to Freeland, having career defining adventures, just really build a mythos around him. I think there needs to be a way to develop characters over an extended period of time in DC so we could have Jeff grow into his fatherhood, as it stands at DC you can only exclude them entirely or suddenly introduce them at the age where they can be useful.
    Thunder and Lightning were both young heroes in those DC Nation shorts:

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thunder and Lightning were both young heroes in those DC Nation shorts:

It's a me-- Gambi!

I think that's an ideal age for having Thunder and Lightning if you want to keep Jefferson as a hero in his prime for a while.

I'd rather he be aged up but not "too old for this sh*t" like the poster above me said. Only because I want his daughters to be of age in universe. Thunder should be 19 at the very least and Lightning could be in the YJ/TT age group. I also want Lynn to be explored more in the comics due to her possible relation to John but that would require another solo. I want to see John and Jefferson react to each other if that is indeed his sister.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

He also needs more formidable villains than the Whale, I suggest Dr. Polaris.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8