Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

As much as they try to make the flagsmashers sympathetic, I still couldn't care less about them.

Today it's "how dare you talk about me and my bf and our respective age difference', a couple of years from now it will be a viral tweet thread and a Vogue article about 'the dangers of toxic masculinity, grooming and how young girls are naive and shouldn't fall for the sway of older men'.

Incredible Member

I've just seen the latest episode and took one thing from the episode which delights me...

spoilers:
    I LOVE seeing Isiah Bradley in the MCU and the introduction of Patriot is cool too (with the Flag Smashers getting these super soldier drugs I wonder if Eli will get involved for his grandfather, if the series ends with both Joaquin Torres as an active new Falcon and Eli taking on the Patriot identity I will be delighted.

John Walker is portrayed exactly as I would expect but I have to be honest, the way the show is depicting Lemar/Battlestar seems off to me. I can't put my finger on what's off though, maybe how he acts around Walker? Not sure.

I know we are meant to feel a little sorry for the Flag Smashers in this episode but I don't at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sharon Carter (its a shame to think we are halfway through the series next week though and I thought we'd see her before now)

Bucky and Sam's talk with Zemo should be intriguing next week.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by James Hunter; 03-26-2021 at 05:25 AM.

They have almost every member of the Young Avengers now.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Just waiting on Teddy, Jonas, and Nate.
    Last edited by Journey; 03-26-2021 at 06:05 AM.

I'm so here for Eli!! I am so excited to see if this show puts some respect on my boys name hopefully I can get more of him in my comics going forward.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Almost (by my count there are 3 missing although one has a casting call and I'm not sure how the other 2 would work in the MCU

BANNED

I like how Wyatt Russell actually comes across as a lifelong military guy. He's got this demeanor that seems like one of those guys trying to be Captain America. It's hard to explain. He leads with "friendly" because he knows he's supposed to, but if that fails, he's got that military assertiveness-- That, "I've earned this" sort of confidence. He's unapologetically a soldier and a patriot at his core, which has a lot more potential for conflict. His humility seems "trained" or practiced, but not in a military way-- More like, he's trying to live up to Steve's exemplary way of treating people.

Black Widow and Hawkeye showed us what baseline humans are capable of, and this episode shows us what separates baseline soldiers from super soldiers in the MCU. Good translation from the comics.

We also get to see how Cap's shield can be an effective weapon even when it's not being wielded by supers, which is good for Sam. I thought he'd have to end up getting powered up to live up to the shield-throwing mantle in this universe.

Going forward, I don't see why characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye can't be considered for the mantle, since it appears to be defined as both a patriotic symbol and as an actual soldier.

I wonder if the U.S. government wants to form its own Avengers or if it wants Walker on the team.

I'm also curious as to how long normies can hold the title before the physical toll forces them to give it up.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 03-26-2021 at 07:03 AM.

BANNED

The guy playing Lemar Hoskins/Battlestar has excellent screen presence and a cool look. Seems like he could be a real Hollywood star down the line. He's able to do a lot with a little.

I can definitely see the Young Avengers taking off, but it'll take time travel to make some of the ages line up-- Not hard when your origin involves Kang.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I mean even mentally. He's in his late 30s and she seems at most early 20s. I'd prefer they date in their own age groups if at all
    In canon, Steve was physiologically 25 in CA:TWS. We saw that on the Hydra screen. Makes sense, since he probably signed up with the military in his early 20s and had a few years-worth of missions in WW2. I think Black Widow was physiologically 28 in CA: TWS, and Yelena should be somewhere around her age.

I think Bucky and Steve are the same age, so Buck should be late 20s or early 30s mentally and physiologically, depending on the MCU's current year and how often Buck operated as the Winter Soldier. I doubt those missions lasted long enough for him to be out of hibernation for long periods of time.

BANNED

Walker's Georgia high school was named after George Custer, a Union cavalryman who fought in the Civil War. (Same guy romanticized for his last stand in the Indian Wars)

It's an interesting juxtaposition. A lot of military personnel are from the South, so that makes sense for Walker, but he's not repping the Confederacy at all. I wonder if his family participated in reenactments by playing Union soldiers. That's not something you commonly hear about. It's like a hint that despite the surface, he's a good guy at heart. He's a Union man, not a Confederate traitor.

I think Walker's legacy will mirror George Custer's. From Custer's Wikipedia page:

"Custer graduated from West Point in 1861 at the bottom of his class, but as the Civil War was just starting, trained officers were in immediate demand. He worked closely with General George B. McClellan and the future General Alfred Pleasonton, both of whom recognized his qualities as a cavalry leader, and he was brevetted brigadier general of volunteers at age 23. Only a few days after his promotion, he fought at the Battle of Gettysburg, where he commanded the Michigan Cavalry Brigade and despite being outnumbered, defeated J. E. B. Stuart's attack at what is now known as the East Cavalry Field. In 1864, Custer served in the Overland Campaign and in Sheridan's army in the Shenandoah Valley, defeating Jubal Early at Cedar Creek. His division blocked the Army of Northern Virginia's final retreat and received the first flag of truce from the Confederates, and Custer was present at Robert E. Lee's surrender to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox.

After the war, Custer was appointed a lieutenant colonel in the Regular Army and was sent west to fight in the Indian Wars. On June 25, 1876, while leading the 7th Cavalry Regiment at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in Montana Territory against a coalition of Native American tribes, he was killed along with all of the five companies he led after splitting the regiment into three battalions. This action became romanticized as 'Custer's Last Stand'. His dramatic end was as controversial as the rest of his career, and reaction to his life and career remains deeply divided. Custer's legend was partly of his own fabrication through his extensive journalism, and perhaps more through the energetic lobbying of his wife Elizabeth Bacon 'Libbie' Custer throughout her long widowhood."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Armstrong_Custer

BANNED

Someone mentioned that Hoskins seemed off. I wonder why he wasn't selected as Captain America-- I also wonder why the Government isn't trying to launch multiple Captains America in case one guy fails either physically or morally. I mean, can you imagine how bad it would be for them if Captain America got me too'd or had racist/sexist/homophobic tweets resurface? PR nightmare.

Ultimate Member

Haha, that's her choice but I still don't want in it any MCU project. I've had enough of Hollywood trying to sell me younger women generally fall for older women, when it's not true IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Walker's Georgia high school was named after George Custer, a Union cavalryman who fought in the Civil War. (Same guy romanticized for his last stand in the Indian Wars)

It's an interesting juxtaposition. A lot of military personnel are from the South, so that makes sense for Walker, but he's not repping the Confederacy at all. I wonder if his family participated in reenactments by playing Union soldiers. That's not something you commonly hear about. It's like a hint that despite the surface, he's a good guy at heart. He's a Union man, not a Confederate traitor.

I think Walker's legacy will mirror George Custer's. From Custer's Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Armstrong_Custer
    I hope Walker doesn't become a vicious bigot intent on killing Native American families

BANNED

Haha, that's her choice but I still don't want in it any MCU project. I've had enough of Hollywood trying to sell me younger women generally fall for older women, when it's not true IMO0
    Women tend to marry men 2-8 years older. My parents had a 12 year gap. Men are seen as safer bets once they're older and financially "established." I don't think anyone threatened Pugh into a long-term relationship. She's an adult and should be held accountable for her own decisions.

In the MCU, Yelena and Bucky should have that 2-8 year physiological age difference, despite the ages of their respective performers. Sebastian Stan could still play a convincing early 30-something dating a mid-to-late 20-something.

I hope Walker doesn't become a vicious bigot intent on killing Native American families
    I doubt that's going to happen, but it's not hard to see parallels between the military's marketing machine and Custer's wife.

I wonder about how much of Walker's background is true and how much is made up. I also wonder why the military would risk putting out another Captain America when it could so easily blow up in their faces, making them all look bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker were killed off in some "heroic" last stand.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 03-26-2021 at 07:39 AM.