Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Nu52 Superman: Would it have been better if...

He would have been presented as an Ultimate Marvel-esque version from the beginning? so while there is the Post-Crisis Superman in Action Comics Vol 1 and Superman Vol 2, Nu52 Superman is the star of the Action Comics: Ultimate and Superman: Ultimate (or some play on those titles) books?

Would he have endured that way?
    Last edited by Netherman14; 01-26-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The weird thing about that is that is basically what Earth One was. So in less than a year you had two twenty year old Supermen only one of them had underwear and the other didn't. I think one of the strikes working against New 52 was that he almost seemed redundant in a way.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The weird thing about that is that is basically what Earth One was. So in less than a year you had two twenty year old Supermen only one of them had underwear and the other didn't. I think one of the strikes working against New 52 was that he almost seemed redundant in a way.
    They had two completely different personalities, Earth 1 Supes was colder in someways, more logical like a Vulcan. His idea of blending in was being so painfully average he stood out. When finally allowed to be himself he excelled at anything he put his mind too. He was One of the reasons I said Supes shouldn't have one alter ego but multiple so he can persue all his wants and desires with abandon. He the man who has everything right?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Actually,the New 52 Superman should have been the Earth One version. Grant Morrison's ACTION run would have worked great as a series of Earth One volumes.

To answer the OP, yes. I think doing it as an Ultimate style Superman as opposed to THE Superman would have done wonders to his longevity.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

That's still what they should do. Just distinguish the the OGN from the comics by making Earth One/Earth 1, two different places. Comics Earth 1 is the place for the young heroes, the "Ultimate" universe.

You want Legacy? You want all the history and all the growth? You Want DC-0. You want a fresh start? You want to follow the classic heroes on a new world with a blank slate and watch them grow anew, and where things can and often do happen differently? You want DC-1.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's still what they should do. Just distinguish the the OGN from the comics by making Earth One/Earth 1, two different places. Comics Earth 1 is the place for the young heroes, the "Ultimate" universe.

You want Legacy? You want all the history and all the growth? You Want DC-0. You want a fresh start? You want to follow the classic heroes on a new world with a blank slate and watch them grow anew, and where things can and often do happen differently? You want DC-1.
    Sounds good to me.

I'd be down for it.

Maybe we'll get a digital first series along these lines someday.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yes, absolutely yes!

And I also agree that they should still do it now. I love the idea.

That would also allow some more play within the New52 universe - even more of the "real world" consequence and line of thinking that drew fans to that specific version of the character.

Call them "the shared center of the multiverse" and even do team-ups every now and again.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I still believe they should have a New 52 Earth. Where everyone has their New 52 history. WW is still in a relationship with Superman and has the Azzarello history. Superman has the Morrison/Pak origin. Batman has the Zero Year history. etc. They wouldn't necessarily get their own ongoings but maybe a few OGNs every year or so.
    Assassinate Putin!

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

And I mean blank-slate DC, even for Batman and Green Lantern.

I wish I could tag Adekis like on Reddit, like u/Adekis and he'd get notified.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 01-25-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    He would have been presented as an Ultimate Marvel-esque version from the beginning? so while there is the Post-Crisis Superman in Action Comics Vol 1 and Superman Vol 2, Nu52 Superman is the star of the Action Comics: Ultimate and Superman: Ultimate (or some play on those titles) books?

Would he have endured that way?
    With poor writing, it wouldn't have mattered. But I would have been OK with him being part of an "Ultimate", Earth-X universe.

BANNED

If they are letting him be a new take on Superman,but still the same guy,then I think after his parents death,and his childhood "faking" like he is average,he would move to Metropolis and be the reporter Clark Kent,but also multiple different alisas around the world,and even the galaxy.i would make him more,just more of who he is in the regular comics,taken to another level.thst goes for every part of his life and stories.

And NO saying we can't do that because it's not part of the 80 some years of his history,or he would be more complex and less simple farm boy turned pure hero.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My thoughts exactly. The entire New 52 was redundant in light of the Earth One line. There was a better alternative to what happened with both initiatives that I'm surprised has never been done.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Actually,the New 52 Superman should have been the Earth One version. Grant Morrison's ACTION run would have worked great as a series of Earth One volumes.

To answer the OP, yes. I think doing it as an Ultimate style Superman as opposed to THE Superman would have done wonders to his longevity.
    Agreed. This fits into a premise I had years ago before Convergence...

What I wanted to see around the time rumors were surfacing about Convergence was what a friend of mine on Facebook called a "Multiversal Publishing Paradigm." Instead of one or two books set on just a few Earths, entire families of books would be set on their own Earths to allow just about everyone to enjoy their favorite era/iteration of a character.

This is from my friend's post on Facebook:

Earth-Zero is the New 52 Earth, "ground zero" for new readers that are put off by decades of continuity. The titles set on this Earth could be done as finite seasons like Marvel's doing, making the entire family of titles more appealing for new fans.

Earth-Zero titles would have featured Superman: Man of Steel, Batman: The Dark Knight, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Justice League. Using titles similar to movies would make these books more recognizable to non-comic readers and differentiate them from the books that would make up the "core" DCU.

Earth-One would continue to be explored in OGNs, as that format has done very well for DC.

Earth-Two would be home to Golden Age titles like Justice Society and World's Finest.

Earth-Three would be home to a title simply called Injustice, dealing with Lex Luthor's never-ending battle against the evil of the Crime Syndicate.

Earth-Four would be home to the pre-Flashpoint, "core" DCU. This is where the classic iterations of the DCU would live on. Here, titles would include Superman, Action, TEC, and Batman, all returned to their original, pre-Flashpoint numbering. Other titles would include Hal Jordan: Green Lantern (or HJ and the Green Lantern Corps), Wally West: Flash, JLA, JSA, DC Comics Presents, Brave And The Bold, and Super and Bat family titles.

Earth-Five would be home to Captain Marvel and his adventures and eventual Marvel family.

And so forth. Books in each family of titles would bear a small logo in the masthead indicating the Earth the book is set on. The inner cover of every comic would contain a simple legend denoting the designations of the Earths and the titles set on each.

Earths outside of the core 6 could explore specific genres; one Earth would be home to Vertigo, another sci-fi titles like Adam Strange and Challengers of The Unknown, and even Earths featuring movie/TV versions of characters.
    This would have solved a lot of DC's problems. DiDio seemed to want to avoid any numerical designations after Multiplicity ended, which I never quite understood.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man's Facebook friend
    Earth-Zero is the New 52 Earth, "ground zero" for new readers that are put off by decades of continuity. The titles set on this Earth could be done as finite seasons like Marvel's doing, making the entire family of titles more appealing for new fans.

Earth-Zero titles would have featured Superman: Man of Steel, Batman: The Dark Knight, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Justice League. Using titles similar to movies would make these books more recognizable to non-comic readers and differentiate them from the books that would make up the "core" DCU.

Earth-One would continue to be explored in OGNs, as that format has done very well for DC.

Earth-Two would be home to Golden Age titles like Justice Society and World's Finest.

Earth-Three would be home to a title simply called Injustice, dealing with Lex Luthor's never-ending battle against the evil of the Crime Syndicate.

Earth-Four would be home to the pre-Flashpoint, "core" DCU. This is where the classic iterations of the DCU would live on. Here, titles would include Superman, Action, TEC, and Batman, all returned to their original, pre-Flashpoint numbering. Other titles would include Hal Jordan: Green Lantern (or HJ and the Green Lantern Corps), Wally West: Flash, JLA, JSA, DC Comics Presents, Brave And The Bold, and Super and Bat family titles.

Earth-Five would be home to Captain Marvel and his adventures and eventual Marvel family.

And so forth. Books in each family of titles would bear a small logo in the masthead indicating the Earth the book is set on. The inner cover of every comic would contain a simple legend denoting the designations of the Earths and the titles set on each.

Earths outside of the core 6 could explore specific genres; one Earth would be home to Vertigo, another sci-fi titles like Adam Strange and Challengers of The Unknown, and even Earths featuring movie/TV versions of characters.
    Oh, this would have been just great. Also, it would have prevented the frequent rebooting.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Whats a mystery to me is that it seems so obvious a fix. We argue here about a lot, but this multi earths solution seems to be the common ground where we stand...And yet what does DC do? Insist on one universe and one version of their characters and if you don't like it, tough.

I know you can't please everyone and literally can't publish a book for every possible illeration,but why not have , like, Superman and ACTION continue with the more mainstream Supes and another Supes title set in an alternative universe or in a ' ground zero' like setting ? I mean, why not give it a shot? What's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't sell well enough to justify it after ,say a six months trial run , then cancel it. At least fans wouldn't be able to make the case they didn't give it an honest go.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.