Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It could of been better but it wasnt bAd. Cable giving him a grenade is just.... --__--. Anyway Im glad Apocalypse showed up. Hickman writes a great Apocalypse.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Scott took his children to investigate the new island as Krakoa is making a beeline for it. Loads of family banter between the Summers.
    Scott loves a single person and Krakoa mates with Arakko.
    The child of war meets up with Apocalypse as he promised to keep all of his children safe both from Krakoa and Arakko.
    I have to admit, I felt pretty let down by Hickman on this issue.
    What was the purpose of the Summers going on that island beyond seeing it ...reconcile… with Krakoa, I Don't know.
    I mean, I understand it was a way for Hickman to introduce us to this new character, the Summonner, to War his mother, and to their struggle fighting hellish hordes I Believe? But I would have expected some panache in doing so, Something smart and elaborate.
    Not the Cable kid moronically inciting an incident.
    Nor his "sister" not shutting down the opposition immediately, but have to be reminded (!!!) that, in fact, she had the means to do so by her father. It was her "you're a witch, figure it out!" moment I guess, ala Hermione Granger in the Sorcerer' Stone...
    That was stupidity on top of stupidity, encased into really cringy dialogues. I suppose if we consider Rachel and Cable kid were written as bland western-type teenagers here, and Summers as the stand-in for the cool, sarcastic Dad personage, the dialogues could make a modicum of sense - but those archétypes are so far away from the way they have been portrayed in recent years that their voices here felt very contrived and cringey.
    And I'm starting to understand why the Kraked were so exposed on their island back in X-Force #1 if their best warriors are just written as incompetent buffons by sir Hickman himself...
    Speaking of which: I know mutant cannot die and Xavier will be brought back to life somewhere down the line, but there was a jarring clash of tone between the introduction and the light-heartedness from everyone in the book. Cyclops was unfazed throughout the issue and was bantering and speaking to go on holiday in another galaxy the day after his mentor and the leader of his new nation was shot on X-Men Watch (at least some of them). Such a Great Captain… Bleh.
    Only interesting part for me was this Summoner and the link between him, Apocalypse and Arrako itself.
    The rest was the definition of forgettable.

1/5. Next next next.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I'm so surprised that the Arakko angle is being touched on so quickly. I'm glad we're not spinning our wheels on the big problems, though.

And Proud Poppa Apocalypse was very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I’m team “Cyclops is in his mid-30s, Rachel’s early to mid-20s, and Cable is late teens”

Anyway glad Okkara is together already. Cypher and Summoner’s convo when the former comes back from space is gonna be good.

Amazing Member

This is a disaster. I wonder if Hickman even lasts a year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Cypher and Summoner’s convo when the former comes back from space is gonna be good.
    Let them ****

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post
    The books are selling very well, sooooo.......

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The books are selling very well, sooooo.......
    We'll see if that holds up. It will be interesting to see the drop off from #1 to #2 to #3. I picked up all the #1 out of curiosity and only like Mauraders and X-force but not enough to keep purchasing month-to-month.

We'll see if that holds up. It will be interesting to see the drop off from #1 to #2 to #3. I picked up all the #1 out of curiosity and only like Mauraders and X-force but not enough to keep purchasing month-to-month.
    I want to see that, both issues are underwhelming. So big drops can happen, if anyhting HOXPOX hype can keep this book selling a bit better, but it goes away too

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    I suppose if we consider Rachel and Cable kid were written as bland western-type teenagers here, and Summers as the stand-in for the cool, sarcastic Dad personage, the dialogues could make a modicum of sense - but those archétypes are so far away from the way they have been portrayed in recent years that their voices here felt very contrived and cringey.
    Here’s what I don’t understand: why are the old archetypes of these characters so important?

This is not the Cable we’ve read for decades. He is a young kid. He displayed some of that vulnerability and immaturity in several books before HOX.

And as for the Summers clan finally chilling out and being retrofitted into an iteration of the F4 - I am all for it. It’s been decades. They all know and love each other. Scott and Jean raised this Nathan. Rachel has been home a long time. I don’t see a reason for them not to become a functional family unit as opposed to tripping over angst and grimdark exposition dialogue all the time. They spent so many years being the Very Important Summers-Grey Clan that bored the piss out of me in the 90s. I am happy to see them just lean into being The Incredibles instead.

With Hickman you have to play the long game. I'm sure when more issues are read or collected together they will be even better than just the single issues. Hickman may not be everyone's taste, but at least we have other books which are all different. Should be something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ya'll are gonna need to stop being so fixated on age. Hickman made that very irrelevant with the whole resurrection protocols and people being able to be aged physically and mentally to whatever they feel optimal. Its kinda moot now. Scott can be mid 20s and 30s and that technically not contradict anything
    I just want to know more or less the age difference between Scott and Rachel to better understand the father-daughter relationship that exist between them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I want to see that, both issues are underwhelming. So big drops can happen, if anyhting HOXPOX hype can keep this book selling a bit better, but it goes away too
    Okay, but why do you want it to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I just want to know more or less the age difference between Scott and Rachel to better understand the father-daughter relationship that exist between them.
    Id say 6-10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It doesn’t matter as a Hickman writes Cyclops like your standard dad stereotype and Rachel like some teen daughter. Knowing their ages does nothing but exacerbate how bad Hickman writes them (including kid cable)like typical dad/daughter/son dynamic when it is anything but.

When Hickman isnt wrtiting biblical sounding speeches or antiheroes, everyone else sounds horrible.