Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I know some of the stuff with the code authority wasn't factual but what exactly wasn't fact based?
    The most notable inaccuracies as I recall:

1. The idea for the new superhero to be a woman wasn't contested/dissed by Elizabeth and Olive but rather suggested by Elizabeth in the first place.

2. There was no sexual relationship between Elizabeth and Olive.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The most notable inaccuracies as I recall:

1. The idea for the new superhero to be a woman wasn't contested/dissed by Elizabeth and Olive but rather suggested by Elizabeth in the first place.

2. There was no sexual relationship between Elizabeth and Olive.
    Ok I recall number one now from bits I read in different biographies and retelling of the story but how do we know #2 isn't true? From what I recall the details of their dynamic was always vague or unknown

Ok I recall number one now from bits I read in different biographies and retelling of the story but how do we know #2 isn't true? From what I recall the details of their dynamic was always vague or unknown
    Not according to Christie Marston who made it very clear that no such relationship existed.

I'll take the word of someone who actually knew the people over someone who refused to interview any friends or family before making the movie.

Mighty Member

Not according to Christie Marston who made it very clear that no such relationship existed.

I'll take the word of someone who actually knew the people over someone who refused to interview any friends or family before making the movie.
    I don't mind if they didn't interview friends or family or anything like that I think that it was just meant to be based off the lives of those three and with the facts that we have it seems to be a valid interpretation and any of the lies seemed to be superfluous so they can move the plot along which I don't think is wrong either.

Incredible Member

He had 4 sons. 2 each from each woman.

It was also a crime to have a woman you were not married or related to live with you. Co-hibation laws those were called.

I don't mind if they didn't interview friends or family or anything like that I think that it was just meant to be based off the lives of those three and with the facts that we have it seems to be a valid interpretation and any of the lies seemed to be superfluous so they can move the plot along which I don't think is wrong either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    He had 4 sons. 2 each from each woman.

It was also a crime to have a woman you were not married or related to live with you. Co-hibation laws those were called.
    The 2 sons each really is a minor detail given the focus of the story and I cant imagine laws like that were heavily enforced or that every state had them even.

Looks cool.

On the subject, I think it's time Harry G Peter also received credit for co-creating Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Most states had them. And up to the 1970’s there were enforced by the local law daily. Actually they are still on books. Because it hard to get old laws repelled totally.

The 2 sons each really is a minor detail given the focus of the story and I cant imagine laws like that were heavily enforced or that every state had them even.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Most states had them. And up to the 1970’s there were enforced by the local law daily. Actually they are still on books. Because it hard to get old laws repelled totally.
    This is really irrelevant because its documented that she lived with them and that they lied about the nature of their relationship even if it wasn't a sexual one. So the movie didn't lie about any of this.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-18-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Incredible Member

Here the best book I ever read on WW and her creator:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/won...ley/1117168315

I imagine you might feel differently if someone did the same to your family. It wouldn't have to be a movie about your family either, it could just be rumors and gossip, that everyone took as fact. I'm with Christie. And she said that it's not just "interpretation" or loosely based. It's outright fiction and lies... about her family. And the filmmaker didn't bother to talk to anyone who actually knew them. She just decided to lie about them instead.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I imagine you might feel differently if someone did the same to your family. It wouldn't have to be a movie about your family either, it could just be rumors and gossip, that everyone took as fact. I'm with Christie. And she said that it's not just "interpretation" or loosely based. It's outright fiction and lies... about her family. And the filmmaker didn't bother to talk to anyone who actually knew them. She just decided to lie about them instead.
    That's kind of the vibe I got from reading several interviews too.

A bit sad IMO, considering the lives of Marston, Holloway, Byrne, and the creation of Wonder Woman are fascinating in and of themselves based on what we actually know about them.

I did not see the movie and am still unsure if I'll watch it when it comes to any service I have a subscription for. I like Luke Evans as an actor and enjoy watching him do his thing, but I have a feeling the inaccuracies that fly in the face of the family's accounts will bug me while watching.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-28-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I don't think I'd feel any differently, but if I didn't like it I would just not watch the movie. The movie doesn't lie about anything of value that you wouldn't expect a biopic to lie about. Christie wasn't alive during the time frame of the movie so her opinions about this really doesn't matter.

I don't think I'd feel any differently, but if I didn't like it I would just not watch the movie. The movie doesn't lie about anything of value that you wouldn't expect a biopic to lie about. Christie wasn't alive during the time frame of the movie so her opinions about this really doesn't matter.
    No, but she did know both of the women and the director stated that she intentionally avoided talking to any of the family so she could interpret things as she wished.

No, but she did know both of the women and the director stated that she intentionally avoided talking to any of the family so she could interpret things as she wished.
    Bingo.

10char