Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    ONe could say the same about Bruce. Him being abused as a child was added to make him a victim of abuse to support the writer's own vision and decisions on why Bruce was so full of rage.
    True. But Banner was always fucked up, Mantlo just gave an explanation.

To be frank, at this point not has Aaron shoved Jen back into Bruce's shadow for the first time in decades, he's also shoved her into Betty's as well.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

This is all Pak's plan to make Cho the Fun Hulk. smh.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It also doesn't make sense to me since Jen generally enjoys being a bombshell and getting attention. If it's unwarranted she won't put up with it and she'll turn it around into something that empowers her because, well, she's She-Hulk. Not discount Hulk.

I'm almost wondering if this Hulk overload form is messing with her mind and perspective to try and keep her in that form by making her think less of her old self.
    I think you are right there have been hints towards something not quite right with this Hulk form kind a feels like Dark Phoenix or should that be Dark She-Hulk we'll see how it plays out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    The JMS comparison is fine, but if your going to insist on similar lengths of run, look back at the numbers for Walt, as for marketplace, well that's just the rub of the green

And how popular is it, what do the numbers of Thor's book show, is it consistently top five, top ten, top twenty,

And with regard to market place, no other writer had an MCU raising their character profile

The underlying truth is, that is spite of all the fanfare, it doesn't sell much better than prior runs in any period relatively to the current market place

Is talked about sure, but the numbers aren't there to show it stand out in the current market, even the event isn't doing especially well,
    People can cry about this and that and try and attach various qualifiers to it because its success irks them for whatever reason but, at the end of the day, it's a very successful Thor run, period.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    True. But Banner was always fucked up, Mantlo just gave an explanation.
    Banner was never as messed up as Mantlo revealed him to be.

He was tortured by the curse of being the Hulk but Mantlo got into the psychology of Banner in a way that was unprecedented.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Thor's most "successful" run ever by Aaron has been debunked recently in Thor thread.
    I'm going to bet it actually hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Banner was never as messed up as Mantlo revealed him to be.

He was tortured by the curse of being the Hulk but Mantlo got into the psychology of Banner in a way that was unprecedented.
    What are you talking about? Banner's been messed up since issue 1. He thinks he's a least two people at the best of times.

It's on the cover of the first issue even.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm going to bet it actually hasn't.
    I mean, there's 3 defining Thor runs, right? Lee/Kirby, Simonson, and now Aaron. I bought the Simonson omnibus and I'm in the process of working through it. In my opinion, God of Thunder 1-12 is the greatest 12 consecutive issues in the Thor mythos that I've come across. But I'll have more of an opinion after I finish Simonson

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to that.
    Well, I finished writing it and sent it to my female colleague for a good look over. I'll refer to her thoughts since she has a good, calm head about things and I'll proceed.

Once it is done, I'll let the article stand as its own to sum up my final thoughts on the matter for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    I mean, there's 3 defining Thor runs, right? Lee/Kirby, Simonson, and now Aaron. I bought the Simonson omnibus and I'm in the process of working through it. In my opinion, God of Thunder 1-12 is the greatest 12 consecutive issues in the Thor mythos that I've come across. But I'll have more of an opinion after I finish Simonson
    JMS and Coipel, Oeming and Di Vito's Ragnarok arc, and Langridge and Samnee's run could all join those three runs as peak Thor. But they're short.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 06-27-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I miss Thor the Mighty Avenger. It's $2 on Kindle tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

As awesome as getting a She-Hulk focused issue in a teambook is, I could not enjoy it. Courtroom She-Hulk talking like an angry fan instead you know, She-Hulk, the person who so empathic she became a lawyer and likes to talk things out before punching, immediately pulled me out of the comic. Being in this new Hulk form does not stop the "crass jokes even when I was taking them down" as Ulik and the other trolls in the beginning War of the Realms issues have done the same. Carol calling Jen "Darling" was weird as I imagine the Captain as a tougher talker than that. Ulik commenting on the Thor name v legacy thing also brought me out the comic as why would he even care about that. Jen, again someone who is very empathic of others, telling Bruce that being that scary monster "didn't sound so bad sometimes" is, frankly, ridiculous. Jen knows firsthand what it is like to be that "big, scary monster" when she lost control and destroyed part of a town, ripped Vision in half, the general disapproving looks and comments of people who found her green skin, broad shoulders, and deep voice grotesque. She-Hulk has personally felt that immense guilt that comes with that destructive power. That shame Bruce often has to deal with alone. Its hard for me to believe that Jen is happy being a monster that people should "Scream and run the other way" especially when despite her monstrous appearance, an appearance I actually like, she has been heroic, "I'm an Avenger. I'm out here saving the world."

My ultimate problem of this is issue is why should Jen believe she has to change for bad people? Why does Jen blame herself, the victim? It disturbed me to see Jen believe that she has to change, she's the one that's wrong for being made fun of, of worse being assaulted of, that she is the one who has to make sacrifices especially with her intellect, something she worked a good part of her life for, in order to be free of other people's $#%#*& opinions and actions. I can only hope that the ultimate plan is for Jen to reject that reasoning.

Its not all bad. Art was stellar. I loved She-Hulk standing over Ulik, screaming triumphantly as some of Thor's storm's lighting descended. Very epic! Props to Black Panther, Daredevil and Deadpool trying to help Miss Walters out through this hard time. Nice callbacks to Jen's previous personas, although the Thorified She-Hulk was just a story She-Hulk was reading and didn't actually happen so she wouldn't be part of the Mind Court, the Class strengths when Carol was hyping up Ulik, and Jen breaking the fourth-wall during her monologue.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    As awesome as getting a She-Hulk focused issue in a teambook is, I could not enjoy it. Courtroom She-Hulk talking like an angry fan instead you know, She-Hulk, the person who so empathic she became a lawyer and likes to talk things out before punching, immediately pulled me out of the comic. Being in this new Hulk form does not stop the "crass jokes even when I was taking them down" as Ulik and the other trolls in the beginning War of the Realms issues have done the same. Carol calling Jen "Darling" was weird as I imagine the Captain as a tougher talker than that. Ulik commenting on the Thor name v legacy thing also brought me out the comic as why would he even care about that. Jen, again someone who is very empathic of others, telling Bruce that being that scary monster "didn't sound so bad sometimes" is, frankly, ridiculous. Jen knows firsthand what it is like to be that "big, scary monster" when she lost control and destroyed part of a town, ripped Vision in half, the general disapproving looks and comments of people who found her green skin, broad shoulders, and deep voice grotesque. She-Hulk has personally felt that immense guilt that comes with that destructive power. That shame Bruce often has to deal with alone. Its hard for me to believe that Jen is happy being a monster that people should "Scream and run the other way" especially when despite her monstrous appearance, an appearance I actually like, she has been heroic, "I'm an Avenger. I'm out here saving the world."

My ultimate problem of this is issue is why should Jen believe she has to change for bad people? Why does Jen blame herself, the victim? It disturbed me to see Jen believe that she has to change, she's the one that's wrong for being made fun of, of worse being assaulted of, that she is the one who has to make sacrifices especially with her intellect, something she worked a good part of her life for, in order to be free of other people's $#%#*& opinions and actions. I can only hope that the ultimate plan is for Jen to reject that reasoning.

Its not all bad. Art was stellar. I loved She-Hulk standing over Ulik, screaming triumphantly as some of Thor's storm's lighting descended. Very epic! Props to Black Panther, Daredevil and Deadpool trying to help Miss Walters out through this hard time. Nice callbacks to Jen's previous personas, although the Thorified She-Hulk was just a story She-Hulk was reading and didn't actually happen so she wouldn't be part of the Mind Court, the Class strengths when Carol was hyping up Ulik, and Jen breaking the fourth-wall during her monologue.
    That... is a different angle that I didn't think about in my criticism of this comic. Victim blaming... that's not a good look either. I gotta consider mentioning that in my article if there's room or find a good place for it.

Also, thank god someone else caught Carol calling Jen "Darling". That was weird.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    What are you talking about? Banner's been messed up since issue 1. He thinks he's a least two people at the best of times.

It's on the cover of the first issue even.
    Banner's always had a plate full of shit to deal with.

But until Mantlo delved into Bruce's childhood, we didn't realize how messed up Bruce was even before he became the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post

Good point, I hadn't thought of that either.