Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hench for Hire: Taskmaster & Ant-Man Appreciation 2019

Glad to see that their working relationship outlasted Secret Empire.

The characters are noticeably absent from the current Bagalia-centric Punisher storyline; probably for the best. But Taskmaster is supposed to be the sheriff around those parts. I wonder when Zemo and Mandarin took over.

As if we needed more proof that Spencer is Marvel's God King, this wholesome comedy relief ship of his actually started over a decade ago in Avengers Initiative. Nick just revived it.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, back then, Eric O'Grady was the Irredeemable Ant-Man. Even had a solo book. After Scott Lang came back, Eric became Black Ant.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I like Spencer's take better. Both were great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, back then, Eric O'Grady was the Irredeemable Ant-Man. Even had a solo book. After Scott Lang came back, Eric became Black Ant.
    Well, technically, first Eric died, and then the LMD programmed with his brain patterns to infiltrate the Secret Avengers became Black Ant. For all intents and purposes, Black Ant is now the same character that Eric O'Grady was though, since he has his personality and memories, and doesn't appear to still have any loyalty to the Father who created him.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I like Spencer's take better. Both were great.
    The only problem I have with Spencer's take is that it seems to drag Taskmaster down to O'Grady's level rather than elevate O'Grady. In the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN appearances they were referred to as "a couple of washout hired guns". Taskmaster should never be considered a washout--he is supposed to be one of the most highly skilled combatants in the MU and highly regarded as a trainer. He has been used to train villains and heroes alike, as well as his various schools of henchmen for hire. But since forming this buddy partnership with O'Grady--who is a bit of a goofball--it seems like Taskmaster is getting tarred with the same goofball brush and is getting less respect.

Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy the partnership between the two. I'd just prefer it to not result in Taskmaster getting regarded as a joke or a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The only problem I have with Spencer's take is that it seems to drag Taskmaster down to O'Grady's level rather than elevate O'Grady. In the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN appearances they were referred to as "a couple of washout hired guns". Taskmaster should never be considered a washout--he is supposed to be one of the most highly skilled combatants in the MU and highly regarded as a trainer. He has been used to train villains and heroes alike, as well as his various schools of henchmen for hire. But since forming this buddy partnership with O'Grady--who is a bit of a goofball--it seems like Taskmaster is getting tarred with the same goofball brush and is getting less respect.

Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy the partnership between the two. I'd just prefer it to not result in Taskmaster getting regarded as a joke or a loser.
    Agreed. I think they are hilarious together, but I really love Taskmaster and I don't think this is gonna be a good look for him in the long run. Hopefully I'm wrong or maybe Spencer is going to start them low and then build them up. That would be cool I think.

Taskmaster is too old and has lost too many times, often in humiliating fashion, to be treated seriously at this point. Being in a charming buddy-comedy relationship is about the best he can hope for at this point.

Nick has written Taskmaster as uber-competent before in Secret Avengers and Ant-Man. But he's said that one of the reasons he likes him is that he's pretty unpredictable in how he can be portrayed with his working class villain status. He's really a great character because he can very easily do both. And even in ASM, the Vulture capture went off without a problem.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

My big problem with Black Ant is that Eric should never have become a super villain, he’s much better and interesting as a jerk who secretly wants to be better as a hero. Scott’s need to be the sole heroic Ant Man essentially forced Eric into that role via the whole evil LMD stick. I still someday hope that the real Irredeemable Ant Man will return and beat the crap out of his dark twin, who for example joined HYDRA in Secret Empire when even the real Eric would never do that, given the organisation murdered his best friend in front of him...

I don’t mind him having super villains like Taskmaster and Black Fox for friends, but making him a super villain himself just made him uninteresting.

Extraordinary Member

I like Taskmaster and Black-Ant. I don't think Taskmaster comes off as incompetent so much as he comes off as sort of out of the times. It feels like he's slumming it with Eric and having a fine time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I like Taskmaster and Black-Ant. I don't think Taskmaster comes off as incompetent so much as he comes off as sort of out of the times. It feels like he's slumming it with Eric and having a fine time.
    well, when Eric is around, we're generally seeing him inbetween jobs. I don't think that Taskmaster has lost his edge. he took out Vulture w/o breaking a sweat. he's just a guy who, generally, doesn't want to work very hard. it's why he opened those schools instead of going around building a rep as a mercenary or henchman. Eric's the same way (probably why they get along so well).