Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired

Carol Danvers always seemed to me like the Supergirl of Marvel Comics. For Wonder Woman, a better match would be Storm or Valkyrie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Carol Danvers always seemed to me like the Supergirl of Marvel Comics. For Wonder Woman, a better match would be Storm or Valkyrie.
    A better match? We are not talking about a battle here. Although Wonder Woman outclasses carol danvers in power based on their respective feats from the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel do want/need a No. 1 female hero. Everyone knew who Wonder Woman was before the movies.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    A better match? We are not talking about a battle here. Although Wonder Woman outclasses carol danvers in power based on their respective feats from the comics.
    Not in their respective movies though.

Yes it is a businesses. Marvel is trying to steal away every DC fan it can to put more money in their pockets. Both company will do things to try appeal to comic fans loyal to the other brand. Sentry,Nighthawk at Marvel for example. DC with Sideways, Damage, The Terrifics, Brimstone,etc. Nothing insidious here just standard business practice every burger restaurant has their version of the whopper or Big Mac. Yes Jane Thor or Captain Marvel are attempts to attract Wonder Woman fans. And yes if it choice between the two they want you to pick their character.

It's a good thing there's not a competition between the two because according to the box office the phrase "further, faster, higher" suddenly has new meaning.

Retired

It's more about Disney and less about Marvel. In theory, capitalism is supposed to promote competition, but left unchecked it leads to the kind of monopolies we see where one company owns everything and they destroy all their competition (either by outspending them or taking them over or outright stealing from them). Disney can buy up every intellectual property (and might in time), but as long as someone else owns DC, they're just going to use their money to push forward the narrative that all the Marvel characters supercede any and all DC characters.

Fantastic Member

I feel like DC is not being pro-active enough (aside from kiddie cartoons) to make WW more attractive to the younger generation. WW is just a comics to me but in the end i would like a huge mass of the world's population to remember her when her main demographics from the time she was created to now) be still as popular when we are no longer around. With today's generation people don't remember much a lot...I now meet so many people who don't even know the Mutant Turtles, Sailor Moon, or even He-Man! Ironically, Barbie seemed to have survived, even without an active cartoon, I think.

Hence, I think an eternally young Wonder Girl and Wonder Woman needs to be always around to say the least and DC should be making them more contemporary with a bit of balance in her history.

TT

People can like more than one thing. I can't though. I'm glad though that Captain Marvel is universally considered worse than the WW film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Since they don't have an iconic female character like WW (well, at least as old as WW), maybe with the Phoenix being the most popular from X-men, so their best bet is to recreate one.

Do you think DC should create a new superhero or gloss up an existing one that has the potential to rival Capt. Marvel for the much younger generation, like Supergirl?

I often Wonder Woman will be still as popular once its main demographics are no longer in this planet, and if it will follow the likes of Zorro and other superheroes or famous characters that many people now don't even remember.

You may find this interesting:

http://whatculture.com/film/captain-...better?page=13
    The whole premise of this thread is problematic. First, I am not sure what your position is on the subject. Second, Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel, aka Ms. Marvel) has been around a long time, she's not a new young character. Third, what, in your mind, are Wonder Woman's demographics or the demographics of her fan base (which is what I assume you meant)? Are they all on the verge of death?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alatheus View Post
    The whole premise of this thread is problematic. First, I am not sure what your position is on the subject. Second, Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel, aka Ms. Marvel) has been around a long time, she's not a new young character. Third, what, in your mind, are Wonder Woman's demographics or the demographics of her fan base (which is what I assume you meant)? Are they all on the verge of death?
    What makes you assume Wonder Woman fans are on the verge of death? Should we assume the same for danvers fans? After all, her character is more thsan half a century old. Wonder Woman has been an icon for decades. And based on the success of her film in 2017. It's safe to say that a very good deal of people that went to see it were not elderly people.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    What makes you assume Wonder Woman fans are on the verge of death? Should we assume the same for danvers fans? After all, her character is more thsan half a century old. Wonder Woman has been an icon for decades. And based on the success of her film in 2017. It's safe to say that a very good deal of people that went to see it were not elderly people.
    They're not saying Wonder Woman fans are on the verge of death. They're asking if that's what the OP thinks.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They're not saying Wonder Woman fans are on the verge of death. They're asking if that's what the OP thinks.
    Yes. Thank you. That's what I was asking.

Retired

Well, there's this thing called recentism where people privilege whatever is recent in their experience over anything in the past. It seems pretty insidious, with people thinking that things in the past never happened because that isn't something they experienced recently. And Disney has been very good at retconning their own history. To a lot of people, comic books are not in their experience and they rely on other people to tell them what happened in those comic books. It's easy to make people think that something has always been what it is now.

Of course, the movie WONDER WOMAN is recent enough that people might believe she's more important. However, I already see some folks putting it out there that WONDER WOMAN was ultimately a flop as a movie. And that narrative could take over, the more that audiences are inundated with this idea that Marvel has always been better than DC and their characters are better exemplars of human values.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, there's this thing called recentism where people privilege whatever is recent in their experience over anything in the past. It seems pretty insidious, with people thinking that things in the past never happened because that isn't something they experienced recently. And Disney has been very good at retconning their own history. To a lot of people, comic books are not in their experience and they rely on other people to tell them what happened in those comic books. It's easy to make people think that something has always been what it is now.

Of course, the movie WONDER WOMAN is recent enough that people might believe she's more important. However, I already see some folks putting it out there that WONDER WOMAN was ultimately a flop as a movie. And that narrative could take over, the more that audiences are inundated with this idea that Marvel has always been better than DC and their characters are better exemplars of human values.
    The thing Captain Marvel did was condense Wonder Woman's "girl power" theme in way that seemed more modern and relatable. It also showed it without telling, thereby avoiding Wonder Woman's propensity for preachiness. In the end that last part didn't matter because people who hate the theme still hate it regardless in how it's presented.