Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Was that released as a pseudo-tiein to the the Billy Zane led live action Phantom film by chance? The live action film wasn't till '96 so....
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Was that released as a pseudo-tiein to the the Billy Zane led live action Phantom film by chance? The live action film wasn't till '96 so....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_2040

BANNED

Tons of odd cartoons like one on Rubik's cube, and another rare animated show if Ranma 1/2, Kight Rider, and David Cronenberg had a bazaar child called Turbo Team. I'm not joking about Ranma 1/2, when the teen is hit with hot water he turns into a car and back to the teenage boy with cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    same. when i was really young battle of the planets was a favorite too.

i was much more of a before and after school cartoon watcher. if i didn't have to get up for school i was trying to sleep in.

Yeah, my top Saturday morning cartoons were:

Thundarr the Barbarian
    Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

I didn't like the Hulk as much as Spidey, because he never seemed to fight other characters comparable to him in strength. The only time I remember that happening was with Quasimodo, which was my favorite episode.

I liked Battle of the Planets/G-Force and Superfriends, but both were after-school shows when I was a kid (late 70s/early 80s)......Although I think Superfriends became a Saturday morning show during my childhood when they did a revamped version of the show with Cyborg & Firestorm being introduced.

Some more comic ads--

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyplace View Post

Ok, I think I'm done for now.
    Believe it or not, last I checked this show is on Crunchyroll.

Yeah, while not really anime, it has some sort of close connection to anime, specifically Urusei Yatsura. As well as a connection to writer/director Chris Columbus. I can't remember the exact details, but Toy Galaxy did an episode about it.

Of the shows I can remember being on Saturday morning when I was a kid, I can remember liking X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers: UTS, Muppet Babies, Smurfs, The Real Ghostbusters, Garfield (heck, that one was better than the comic strip it was based on), Alvin and the Chipmunks, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and probably a few others.

The funny thing about Saturday morning cartoons is that looking at the them with a fresh, grown-up perspective, most of the shows weren't really all that good even as kids' shows went. Just one or two season, mediocre, flash-in-the-pan cartoons. But what was great was the ritual itself of waking up on Saturday morning and enjoying a four hour block of TV that was just for kids every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Although I think Superfriends became a Saturday morning show during my childhood when they did a revamped version of the show with Cyborg & Firestorm being introduced.
    Yeah! I remember that revamped version with Cyborg & Firestorm!! Definitely, a childhood classic (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Some more comic ads--

[IMG][/IMG]
    Hulk Hogan is drawn by Gil Kane here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

There was a Peanuts affiliated Saturday morning cartoon called Charlie Brown and Snoopy??
    I must look harder into this. I love Peanuts and wonder if I know of it but recall it as something else?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Been meaning to post here for a while but it's taken a long time. Bro, I was a fan of way, WAY too many cartoons. If it had action, lasers, and martial arts, I was probably watching it.

Thinking it over, I've boiled down to three main cartoons:

1) Spider-Man: The Animated Series

2) X-Men: The Animated Series

3) Batman/Superman Adventures

Very little surprise here. As a comic book fan who wasn't close to a comic book shop, these shows were the only ways I could experience my heroes. I remember geeking out over the final episode of the Phoenix Saga when the X-Men and Shi'ar Imperial Guard took on Da'Ken. Or when Batman and Superman teamed up during "World's Finest." But Spider-Man was my main, main show. I geeked out over the seemingly endless parade of guest stars. The Punisher, Morbius, Blade, Dr. Strange, Captain America, I was amped to see what would happen in those episodes. I distinctly remember jumping up and down on my parents' bed as I saw Vulture, Scorpion, and the Lizard all show up in one episode. Secret Wars was amazing because it featured Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, and Storm, all of whom had their own shows.

Just great memories there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Been meaning to post here for a while but it's taken a long time. Bro, I was a fan of way, WAY too many cartoons. If it had action, lasers, and martial arts, I was probably watching it.

Thinking it over, I've boiled down to three main cartoons:

1) Spider-Man: The Animated Series

2) X-Men: The Animated Series

3) Batman/Superman Adventures

Very little surprise here. As a comic book fan who wasn't close to a comic book shop, these shows were the only ways I could experience my heroes. I remember geeking out over the final episode of the Phoenix Saga when the X-Men and Shi'ar Imperial Guard took on Da'Ken. Or when Batman and Superman teamed up during "World's Finest." But Spider-Man was my main, main show. I geeked out over the seemingly endless parade of guest stars. The Punisher, Morbius, Blade, Dr. Strange, Captain America, I was amped to see what would happen in those episodes. I distinctly remember jumping up and down on my parents' bed as I saw Vulture, Scorpion, and the Lizard all show up in one episode. Secret Wars was amazing because it featured Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, and Storm, all of whom had their own shows.

Just great memories there.
    Indeed, and Spider-Man even made a stealth cameo in that final episode of the Phoenix Saga, with him shooting a web to save some civilians who would have been hurt or worse in the chaos unleashed by the mad Emperor D'Ken with the M'Kraan Crystal.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

There was a Peanuts affiliated Saturday morning cartoon called Charlie Brown and Snoopy??
    I must look harder into this. I love Peanuts and wonder if I know of it but recall it as something else?
    Yup. Lasted two seasons. Later rerun on nickelodeon in the 90s as "you're on nickelodeon charlie brown" with the specials.

Both seasons are on dvd in a boxset.

Last edited by Gaastra; 08-20-2022 at 06:53 AM.