Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Apparently he's mad DeSantis is getting so much praise from the right for bussing immigrants because it's something that he wanted to do.

Inside Trump’s Plot to Send Rapists and Killers To ‘Destabilize’ Liberal Cities

Donald Trump is privately fuming over Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis flying migrants from the Texas border to Martha’s Vineyard, telling confidants the potential 2024 rival stole “my idea” for weaponizing immigrants. Turns out, Trump was right — but his plans were more extreme than anything DeSantis has come up with to date.

In early 2019, three people familiar with the matter tell Rolling Stone, the then-president workshopped a plan to bus migrants suspected of violent crime from the border to liberal metropolitan areas. The plan, two of the sources say Trump explicitly told staff, was to “punish” his political rivals in Democratic controlled areas.

They're both such sociopathic hate filled monsters.
    But DeSantis is the smarter politician, and that’s what makes him more dangerous because he wouldn’t do a fraction of the stupid **** Trump had done that got him into trouble.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If you know you're innocent, you plea bargain to avoid being railroaded. But in that case, you CANNOT get a pardon because the person giving out pardons is the same person who's railroading you, or is the person who appointed the person who's railroading you.
    Wouldn’t the pardon be the most extreme form of plea bargaining?

You are innocent, but in danger of being railroaded…but have something the other person wants (usually info on some one else)…if what you offer is good enough you might get a pardon.

I don’t think (in some circumstances) seeking a pardon is any more indicative of guilt than any other form of plea bargaining. Though I’d guess people plea bargaining are seldom completely innocent!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That's something else I don't get. Abbott did the same thing desantis did with migrants first but the right didn't get as gushy with abbot as they did with desantis.
    Because apparently Abbott only did a generic version while DeSantis copied what that idiot Tucker Carlson suggested word for word and went after MV specifically.

And in general the right-wing lunatics like DeSantis better because he's a bigger scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That's something else I don't get. Abbott did the same thing desantis did with migrants first but the right didn't get as gushy with abbot as they did with desantis.
    I think maybe they are making a bigger deal with Desantis because he is looking at a run in 2024. So the Liberal media is trying to vilify him while the Right Wing like Fox news are looking at him like a hero to boost him on a national level.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

No need to vilify somebody who is actually a villain. It's called reporting what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    No need to vilify somebody who is actually a villain. It's called reporting what he does.
    Vilify may have been a poor choice of words. But the main point was the media is more willing to talk bad and bash him for doing the same thing Abbot is doing because Abbot is not in the talk to be a front runner in 2024.

On a national level DeSantis is the bigger story then Abbot so he is getting more play.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Italy is about to elect its most right wing leader since Mussolini.

If his reposts on “Truth” Social are any indication Trump believes that he’s neck and neck with Jesus as the most important being ever to exist and DeSantis is a threat to his ego.
    Considering African migrants have been attacked (and in one case a Nigerian actually murdered in broad daylight), I definitely won't be visiting Italy anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What messes me up about all this is that up until about 10 months ago, no body including conservative cared about drag. Drag has been part of pop culture for generations. From vaudeville, to Bugs Bunny, to Milton Berle, to Monty Python, to Mrs Doubtfire...hell, it's thought of as corny old folks humor. But now some people want to conflate it with strip shows and then with trans issues, and that's why we get folks wanting to fight people at "Drag Bingo" and what not. Those same people don't want to go the Catholic Church or have anything to say about Matt Gentz or R Kelly...
    There's a difference between vaudeville-style drag (which has diminished as of late) and modern drag shows. That said, I'm sure there are performers who are capable of both.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I guess I dont understand how there is doubt on the man's guilt after he did ask for a pardon. I can understand someone saying "Well its circumstantial evidence so maybe he didnt do it." But you have that evidence with him begging for a pardon.

That speaks so much to me that he did it. It shows he feels he committed a crime and he scared that they are going to come after him for it. No "Oh this is a witch hunt They may come after me." Noe it is a "I did some illegal stuff and they are coming after me."

When I was in jail waiting for my case to be hear there were tons of guys that went the im innocent route when we were in the cell block talking to each other. But the first thing they did when they talked to their lawyer wasnt "Lets fight this because i didnt do it." it was "What kind of deal can you get me if I plead." Gaetz smacks of that. If he is ever charged he will plea so fast.
    The specific question is whether the testimony of a Trump administration official should be enough for us to be certain he is guilty of this specific crime.

If the official is telling the truth, he could still be mistaken about a quick conversation, even if Gaetz was asking for a pardon for another crime. It's possible that Gaetz is concerned that the process of demonstrating his innocence of this crime would leave him exposed in other ways, so a pardon is easier. If he hasn't committed any crimes, he would have reason to be paranoid that his enemies are out there trying to get him. He seems like an intense guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If you know how to count cards, then you would have a reasonable opinion on what the next card to be drawn in a poker game would be. But of course, it's a faulty argument, because you have a lot of actual evidence in the Gaetz case. Granted, most of it is circumstantial, but we're not talking about how you would vote on a jury, but rather about what it probably looks like. And, BTW, innocent people generally don't ask for pardons. They go to court, or plea bargain, if they think they'd get railroaded in court.
    Innocent people might try different legal strategies if they were on a first name basis with the President.

Going with the card-counting analogy, even an expert won't know every card all the time. They'll be able to make educated guesses pretty quickly, although they'll usually be aware of both possibilities at the same time (IE- a 60% chance they'll get a useful card is a 40% chance they won't get it.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Considering African migrants have been attacked (and in one case a Nigerian actually murdered in broad daylight), I definitely won't be visiting Italy anytime soon.
    I guess few (any??) countries are free from the taint of racism, with some extremists in the mix….so if you wait for complete absence of that evil you won’t be visiting many places.

But I do smile at times when leaving EU is cited as proof that UK is becoming far right when countries like Hungary, Poland, Italy, France remain in EU…however misguided leaving EU may have been, perceived economic advantage was main driving force in exit, rather than some bizarre wish to become an ultra right wing state.

This seems like it could be important.

Meadows texts reveal direct White House communications with pro-Trump operative behind plans to seize voting machines

As allies of then-President Donald Trump made a final push to overturn the election in late-December 2020, one of the key operatives behind the effort briefed then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows about his attempts to gain access to voting systems in key battleground states, starting with Arizona and Georgia, according to text messages obtained by CNN.

Phil Waldron, an early proponent of various election-related conspiracy theories, texted Meadows on December 23 that an Arizona judge had dismissed a lawsuit filed by friendly GOP lawmakers there. The suit demanded state election officials hand over voting machines and other election equipment, as part of the hunt for evidence to support Trump’s baseless claims of voter fraud.

In relaying the news to Meadows, Waldron said the decision would allow opponents to engage in “delay tactics” preventing Waldron and his associates from immediately accessing machines. Waldron also characterized Arizona as “our lead domino we were counting on to start the cascade,” referring to similar efforts in other states like Georgia.

“Pathetic,” Meadows responded.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's a difference between vaudeville-style drag (which has diminished as of late) and modern drag shows. That said, I'm sure there are performers who are capable of both.
    What is the difference between old drag and new drag shows, specifically the ones that are child friendly where kids are encouraged to come? Have you studied them?

The specific question is whether the testimony of a Trump administration official should be enough for us to be certain he is guilty of this specific crime.

If the official is telling the truth, he could still be mistaken about a quick conversation, even if Gaetz was asking for a pardon for another crime. It's possible that Gaetz is concerned that the process of demonstrating his innocence of this crime would leave him exposed in other ways, so a pardon is easier. If he hasn't committed any crimes, he would have reason to be paranoid that his enemies are out there trying to get him. He seems like an intense guy.

Innocent people might try different legal strategies if they were on a first name basis with the President.

Going with the card-counting analogy, even an expert won't know every card all the time. They'll be able to make educated guesses pretty quickly, although they'll usually be aware of both possibilities at the same time (IE- a 60% chance they'll get a useful card is a 40% chance they won't get it.)
    No, the specific question was whether you thought he was guilty, specifically not whether he would be found guilty by a Jury and you sidestepped it in the most kind interpretation. The story you are using to throw out the 2 witnesses we the public know of to frame it like this is the only issue left out why one of them wouldn't pass a Jury, but we don't know that there aren't any more nor does it invalidate the literal Venmo evidence either. This is what we are talking about when you say that you are defending these sorts of reprehensible people/acts.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I guess few (any??) countries are free from the taint of racism, with some extremists in the mix….so if you wait for complete absence of that evil you won’t be visiting many places.

But I do smile at times when leaving EU is cited as proof that UK is becoming far right when countries like Hungary, Poland, Italy, France remain in EU…however misguided leaving EU may have been, perceived economic advantage was main driving force in exit, rather than some bizarre wish to become an ultra right wing state.
    Keep on telling that to yourself if you want to feel better. Of course, racism and exceptionalism had a big part in the Brexit vote

Fantastic Member

I saw Italy just elected the next Mussolini! F'n Fascists!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/giorg...3d8f6#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    What is the difference between old drag and new drag shows, specifically the ones that are child friendly where kids are encouraged to come? Have you studied them?

My dad's uncle was in Vaudeville, and Vaudeville could be extremely sexual. People like Mae West came from Vaudeville!

It's conservatives like Mets who have this weird idea of a kid-friendly that never existed. They want to go back to a time that is a theocracy fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    My dad's uncle was in Vaudeville, and Vaudeville could be extremely sexual. People like Mae West came from Vaudeville!

It's conservatives like Mets who have this weird idea of a kid-friendly that never existed. They want to go back to a time that is a theocracy fantasy.
    To be fair there are oddly adult and sexual things that pop up in 'kid' stuff all the time. Animaniacs was famous for it:

Still, you have a point.