Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Ment second page, first two should be Laura talking but, the word box have psylock saying then you shared your thoughts with me insted of laura
    Oh, that's true. I guess since it's a closeup of Kwannon's face they didn't have Laura there to point. But it shouldn't be pointing at her either lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Oh, that's true. I guess since it's a closeup of Kwannon's face they didn't have Laura there to point. But it shouldn't be pointing at her either lol.
    Or he drew psylock by mistake...

Or he drew psylock by mistake...
    I dont think so. It shows Laura speaking with a closeup on her mouth and then a closeup on Kwannon's eyes as her reaction to what she's hearing. That's most likely on the letterer.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This forced angst to prop Psylocke is brutal. Why is Laura and Cable kissing her ass and following her by the nose? She has done nothing. Poor Laura is like a submissive pet here. She is the one helping Psylocke out, yet she doesn’t even think she has any right to ask her something. Wtf?
    This is so forced.

complete regression of Laura character. also she is really small here

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    This is so forced.

complete regression of Laura character. also she is really small here
    Well she is only 5'6 but has to be drawn as 5'1 because cant be taller then Logan? Also if you have to regress characters and have them bend over backwards to make kiwi have a personality then maybe kiwi has alot more problems that needs fixing or isnt that good of a character

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    On panel yes but Kwannon has had more life experience then both of them.
    If you are talking in terms of literal years of living, yes that is correct. Kwannon is in her late 20's (likely) and therefore has lived longer than Wi-Fi and Laura. But life experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Has she though? She was a trained assassin yes, she was also the partner of the Hand leader yes. Much killing probably, but she had also much power in that position. Then she died and stayed dead. It was bad, but she was still dead.

Laura has been used as a weapon and assassin since she was a kid. Torture, chemical manipulation and psychological abuse first, then she got free and lived a life of killings, huge mutant crisis after the other and seeing her friends being killed in front of her eyes, and more killing.

Cable has lived in a post apocaliptic future with a techno organic infection and he's been a time travelling mutant warrior too.

Kwannon cannot really compete with them when it comes to life experiences. Or skills either probably.
    Yes, all of this. Kwannon has definitely had different life experiences that the two of them, and may be wiser in some respects, but I don't think the statement of her having more life experiences is true. All of them have had their body's and minds manipulated by others. They are all warriors. They crave more than an idyllic island paradise life. All of those things make a more compelling argument on why they would team up with Kwannon than the idea of that she's older and wiser and therefore the mentor figure they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Except she's NOT. She's not only legally an adult, she's been through far more **** than people THREE TIMES her age.
    Seriously. Same with Cable.

Well she is only 5'6 but has to be drawn as 5'1 because cant be taller then Logan? Also if you have to regress characters and have them bend over backwards to make kiwi have a personality then maybe kiwi has alot more problems that needs fixing or isnt that good of a character
    i don't think anyone has a problem with her having the same size or just a bit smaller than Logan. But Kwannon look like a adult close to 10 yers old.
    I think this book should have been written by a asian woman like the the books marvel is releasing. There is something very stereotipical about the writing of kwannon and she needs more work than just a mentor-trainee to be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    If you are talking in terms of literal years of living, yes that is correct. Kwannon is in her late 20's (likely) and therefore has lived longer than Wi-Fi and Laura. But life experience?

Yes, all of this. Kwannon has definitely had different life experiences that the two of them, and may be wiser in some respects, but I don't think the statement of her having more life experiences is true. All of them have had their body's and minds manipulated by others. They are all warriors. They crave more than an idyllic island paradise life. All of those things make a more compelling argument on why they would team up with Kwannon than the idea of that she's older and wiser and therefore the mentor figure they need.
    Yes. it'd make more sense for all of them to be in this as equals due to their past and similar fighting nature, not them needing training from Psylocke because they're unexperienced...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    i don't think anyone has a problem with her having the same size or just a bit smaller than Logan. But Kwannon look like a adult close to 10 yers old.
    I think this book should have been written by a asian woman like the the books marvel is releasing. There is something very stereotipical about the writing of kwannon and she needs more work than just a mentor-trainee to be interesting
    I don't see how a female Asian author would help since they would've been in the same position as Hill: they'd barely have anything to work with.
    "Cable was right!"

Hmm... benefit of the doubt waning here.

Bonding over a shared darkness is one thing, but asking Kwannon to mentor her on something she's always had thoroughly under control to the point on it being a defining trait... no.

This will only work if this is Laura playing into Kwannon's expectations to keep an eye on her; Kwannon's whole mentorship kick only really works if it is pretension on her part. You don't have the effectively new character walk in and be the wise mentor to the thoroughly established veteran character, (venerable teacher archetype excluded).
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post

Seriously. Same with Cable.
    They could have had them bonding over the appatent peace on Krakoa and/or not trusting the whole thing. No need in making Kwannon a mentor, also considering her editorial history is very very lacking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Except she's NOT. She's not only legally an adult, she's been through far more **** than people THREE TIMES her age.
    Being legally adult doesn’t change the fact that she’s young, and if you’d read my post instead of knee jerk reacting, you’d notice that I acknowledged how much more she’s been through. That’s more of a reason why she should still be struggling with her traumas not less.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Hmm... benefit of the doubt waning here.

Bonding over a shared darkness is one thing, but asking Kwannon to mentor her on something she's always had thoroughly under control to the point on it being a defining trait... no.

This will only work if this is Laura playing into Kwannon's expectations to keep an eye on her; Kwannon's whole mentorship kick only really works if it is pretension on her part. You don't have the effectively new character walk in and be the wise mentor to the thoroughly established veteran character, (venerable teacher archetype excluded).
    Kwannon is an older character than Laura. Also, just because Laura has managed a way to deal with her inner turmoil it does not mean there are not other ways that could work better, or that she would at least want to try.

Yes, this is done to try to establish Kwannon, but that is because has not been explored.

Besides, Old Man Cable was a brand new character who was thrown into a leadership/mentorship role of characters that had been around years already and that was fine.

Anyway, all this to say that I never bothered to read the first issue but this preview has me intrigued enough I might go back and check it out.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I have no problem with how Laura was portrayed when she was a more positive character but I honestly like a darked Laura more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Kwannon's whole mentorship kick only really works if it is pretension on her part.
    This goes well beyond pretension, this is outright patronizing.

And frankly, you're right. The only way this works without completely ignoring all of Laura's history is for it all to be a play on Laura's part. But it STILL makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Kwannon is an older character than Laura.
    Kwannon is AT BEST only about 6-7 years older than Laura in-universe, allowing for the time she spent dead. Maybe if Laura was still a 15 year-old kid like she was in NYX the difference would mean something, but not now that she's legally old enough now to buy her own booze.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 11-22-2019 at 08:34 AM.