Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why do modern writers keep using sword and shield over lasso and bracelets?

Is the former just easier to write fight scenes for, or something?

Spectacular Member

I think it’s because they (and probably DC and WB) think the sword makes her look “cooler” and they believe the sword and shield look appeals more to the male audience than the lasso and bracelets.

I don't think one can point to one single big reason, rather there are plenty of small reasons.

One reason is that for a lot of writers I think the heroine wielding a sword and shield is safer and easier to relate to than the rope- and bracelet-using one. The sword—as a masculine symbol—signals that she is unlike other women. See also for how the lasso went from being a lasso of control to a lasso of truth, and now even the lasso of truth seems tricky for a lot of writers to handle.

I also think artists find it simpler to pose Diana dramatically with a sword in her hands. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of artists have trouble finding good dramatic powerful poses for Diana (and other superheroines) that aren't bringing too much male gaze or sexualise her.

Another reason is the increased focus on Diana's relation to mythology and ancient cultures. The sword and shield serve to strengthen that connection.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Is the former just easier to write fight scenes for, or something?
    One word, and this is serious......Xena

It just makes her look more heroic, though I’d argue that it’s too generic. The lasso and bracelets are at least unique to Diana.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Idk but I HATE it. Like what's the point honestly? She isn't going to be shown cutting off Despero's hand in a JL comic or decapitating a villain.

If you ask me the lasso and bracelets show off her fighting skills way better. I'm sick of the sword and shield.

In part, for the same reason why Hollywood uses swords instead of more practical or historically-correct weapons like spears: swords are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I don't think one can point to one single big reason, rather there are plenty of small reasons.

One reason is that for a lot of writers I think the heroine wielding a sword and shield is safer and easier to relate to than the rope- and bracelet-using one. The sword—as a masculine symbol—signals that she is unlike other women. See also for how the lasso went from being a lasso of control to a lasso of truth, and now even the lasso of truth seems tricky for a lot of writers to handle.

I also think artists find it simpler to pose Diana dramatically with a sword in her hands. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of artists have trouble finding good dramatic powerful poses for Diana (and other superheroines) that aren't bringing too much male gaze or sexualise her.

Another reason is the increased focus on Diana's relation to mythology and ancient cultures. The sword and shield serve to strengthen that connection.
    I find it odd that Diana wielding a sword is considered problematic by certain fans who think her using a weapon that makes her a living violation of people's free will is acceptable. At least swords have a long association with heroic character, a lasso of control just brings to mind characters like Kilgrave.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-04-2019 at 09:13 PM.

The sword and shield are just kind of goofy to me sometimes because she tends to bring them out of nowhere or they just vanish into the ether.

I mean, more often then not she just goes to hand-to-hand anyways. Can anyone name a single fight, outside maybe the movies, where they were really relevant?

Not really. I often thing the best way if she needs a sword or shield would be make her bracelets be pocket dimension. She can storage things in her bracelets. She can even make weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The sword and shield are just kind of goofy to me sometimes because she tends to bring them out of nowhere or they just vanish into the ether.

I mean, more often then not she just goes to hand-to-hand anyways. Can anyone name a single fight, outside maybe the movies, where they were really relevant?
    Well she did use the sword to blind Darkseid in the New 52 League's first battle with Darkseid.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Because the first thing people think of when they hear the word Amazon is a sword welding female warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    One word, and this is serious......Xena
    While Xenafication is a handy word to describe some of the development around Diana, I doubt one can attribute it to Xena. The increased association with mythology started with Pérez, and there are plenty of other models of sword-wielding women in fiction, both before and after Xena. Marvel's Red Sonja comes to mind, but Robert E Howard had plenty of models too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find it odd that Diana wielding a sword is considered problematic by certain fans who think her using a weapon that makes her a living violation of people's free will is acceptable. At least swords have a long association with heroic character, a lasso of control just brings to mind characters like Kilgrave.
    I think plenty of us think that one of the points about superheroes should be about responsible use of their powers.

Meanwhile, the sword and shield combo is much more generic, and arguably is part of a process that simplifies and dilutes Diana's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her final fight against Superman in DCeased.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think plenty of us think that one of the points about superheroes should be about responsible use of their powers.
    Yes but a smart writer should also realize the implications of the lasso of control especially in a time when people are a lot more sensitive to the idea of heroic characters having the ability to supersede people's consent.

Meanwhile, the sword and shield combo is much more generic, and arguably is part of a process that simplifies and dilutes Diana's character.
    Arguably, but after seeing how Diana was depicted in the DCAU vs the DCEU I feel confident in saying the sword and shield are just a convenient scapegoat.

Spectacular Member

This is why I prefer the truth aspect of the lasso.I have this ideia that works more like a conversarion than a interrogation.the lasso only reveals the truth of the person if diana reveals hers.

People already have problems associating wonder woman with her core values of love and peace.Have her walk around with tradional instruments of violence doesn't help