Page 1 of 83 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Default Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Now that the post-RotJ EU has been removed from canon, Star Wars has a bold, new future ahead of itself. We've recently seen the cast list of Star Wars VII, which includes several old school faves and a bunch of up-and-comers. We do not yet know the roles all of the new cast members will play but, if rumors are to be believed, VII will have a "Star Wars: The Next Generation" vibe to it (i.e. the principle movers-and-shakers of the past generation step aside to let their children take the reigns of destiny). Following the newest trilogy, Disney will begin a process of pumping out a new Star Wars film practically every year. Beyond the movies, Disney will also be pushing out comics and TV shows, as well as (presumably) video games. The first such product to be announced was Star Wars Rebels, which will showcase a plucky gang of younglings fighting against the totalitarian Galactic Empire.

Here are a few questions to get the discussion going: What are you looking most forward to in the new Star Wars era? What will you miss most about the old continuity? Which characters do you hope make it into the new film? What do you think of the cast for VII? What are your feelings about Rebels? Which planets and/or species do you hope take up a prominent role in coming productions?
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 11-21-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Something interesting for anyone who wants a read:

Total Film, on who they think in the cast is playing who - other than returning cast:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/st...ng/john-boyega

Go from that page on, and enjoy.

BTW, would this be the right thread to discuss Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars: Detours, LEGO Star Wars and Star Wars: Underworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Total Film, on who they think in the cast is playing who - other than returning cast:

BTW, would this be the right thread to discuss Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars: Detours, LEGO Star Wars and Star Wars: Underworld?
    Not bad guesses! I assume most will probably be true.

I think we can make this a bit more inclusive as far as Star Wars fandom goes (until more niche oriented threads are created).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Not a bad guess at all

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Star Wars' new star Daisy Ridley: Dad praises ''extraordinary'' daughter after she lands Episode VII leading role
    The 21-year old actress will play the daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia. Her 73-year-old father Chris said: "If anyone can handle it, she can"
    The Mirror (U.K.) - Star Wars' new star Daisy Ridley: Dad praises ''extraordinary'' daughter after she lands Episode VII leading role (Exclusive)

The Force’s sweetheart: Daisy's role was highly coveted

Only last week putting the name of Daisy Ridley into Google would have caused barely a ripple on the internet.

But today this no-longer-unknown actress is the most searched for human being in the galaxy after landing a plum role in the new Star Wars movie.

Daisy is believed to be playing the daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia. And even though she’s played only UK bit parts so far, those who know her say she will shine in the sought-after leading role in Star Wars VII, which is set 30 years after the original trilogy.
    “She is an extraordinary lady, though not an easy one,” he said at the family home in Maida Vale, West London, yesterday.

“But if anyone can handle it, she can. They train from morning till night learning all the things they do.

"They have a huge stage down at Pinewood with thousands of people involved and budget of God knows what. She’s managing very well but she’s very tired.”
    “I’m not surprised she has got this part,” she says. “There was always something very special about her. She was always very feisty, but nicely feisty, very clever, independent. If she sets her mind on doing something she’ll achieve it.

“She had a good group of friends she keeps in touch with. I saw her only last week when she went to watch a friend in a show in London. She didn’t mention a thing about this part.

“She’s always had something you can’t put your finger on – she didn’t want to sit back and settle for second-best and worked incredibly hard, taking part-time jobs while she was studying.
    The proud dad says Daisy is already developing a close working relationship with her most famous co-star.

“She came home and said she’d had coffee with Harrison Ford and he said, ‘Don’t call me Mr Ford! Call me Harrison’,” said Chris.

“He’s a very sweet guy, though he looks terribly grumpy. She said he looks much better than he does in films and he’s a much nicer guy.”

Asked if Daisy was a Star Wars fan her dad said: “She is now!”
    “She’s a lovely-looking girl, natural and classy and also very sporty. You can see her running around a spaceship.”
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ars-movie.html

'She is an amazing and very inspiring person': Daisy Ridley's family celebrate her leading role in the new Star Wars movie

Just a few months ago she was still taking bit-part roles as a jobbing actress.

But 21-year-old Daisy Ridley is now set to become a Hollywood star after being plucked from obscurity to land one of the most coveted roles in film history.

The British actress, who appeared in a cameo role during an episode of Casualty last year, will now appear on the big screen alongside Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher is the eagerly awaiting new Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode VII.

Her father, Christopher, 73, last night spoke of his delight at hearing his daughter had been chosen to star in the £120m blockbuster, which is due to be released in December next year.

He told the Daily Mail: ‘I’m very proud of her and very glad for her. There is no doubt she will be able to handle it. Emotionally she is very focused. She is an amazing and very inspiring person.

‘She had taken odd roles in things like Casualty and a few other TV show and I’ve always thought she was fantastic in front of a movie camera.

‘Like most parents, you take your children through the violin and gymnastic lessons when they are young. But she always seemed to have a real ability when it came to acting. She can hold a tune very well too.

‘If she hadn’t chosen acting, there would have been something else that she could have done. She is very talented. She is one of five sisters and they are all talented in their own ways.’
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Oooo, somebody broke their code of silence! I wonder if she will be Jaina or a brand new character.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Oooo, somebody broke their code of silence! I wonder if she will be Jaina or a brand new character.
    I'm hoping they keep her as Jaina

Fantastic Member

I'm guessing brand new. They already said they're jettisoning the EU. Why confuse things by keeping the character name if not the character?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    I'm guessing brand new. They already said they're jettisoning the EU. Why confuse things by keeping the character name if not the character?
    I may be wrong, I haven't kept up too much lately, but I thought they scrapped the EU but said there was a possibility they could pull material or characters from there if need be, that they had done that with the new Rebels show by using Sienar and other things from the EU

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    I may be wrong, I haven't kept up too much lately, but I thought they scrapped the EU but said there was a possibility they could pull material or characters from there if need be, that they had done that with the new Rebels show by using Sienar and other things from the EU
    Such as the Inquisitor, from an RPG game.

Probably new name, but, we now know she fulfills the role most expected - and hopefully is good in it. No, I'd agree it'd be better to leave the old name be, as those who're fans of the character, or EU, will likely be a bit annoyed they're not getting their Jaina.

Might never work as replacement, but as their own, individual character, maybe.

Hopefully find out about Max von Sydow, or Oscar Isaac, next.

And, GLFan994, that's good to hear. Hopefully this can just be a general one, where any discussion relating to the shows and films come about, or one for the new film.

It's just that there's be a number watching Rebels, when it begins, week to week, and then wanting to keep up with updates on VII, but would end up getting spoiled, likely, on one, if not for a specific thread.

I'm kind of apprehensive about this. I mean, I keep asking myself if I really want to see a new film with Han, Leia, and Luke old and fat. Sure it won't be involving Lucas, but I'm just not that excited yet. It's early so we'll see.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I'm kind of apprehensive about this. I mean, I keep asking myself if I really want to see a new film with Han, Leia, and Luke old and fat. Sure it won't be involving Lucas, but I'm just not that excited yet. It's early so we'll see.
    Harrison Ford isn't fat. Carrie Fisher has her ups and downs though but if she's following her Jenny Craig plan and got a checkup she should be good to go. To me it's about how emotionally strong they write the characters. Obi Wan was old when we met him in the original trilogy but still interesting. Yoda was 900.

I was looking into the new foundations of canon that Disney is setting up in the novel format. So far they have the following books announced:

- STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN
    - STAR WARS: TARKIN
    - STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI
    - STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH

A new Dawn is a tie in prequel to the new Star Wars: Rebels show. Tarkin will focus on, you guessed it, Tarkin. Heir to the Jedi will star Luke and is set before Empire. Lords of the Sith is set after Sith but before Rebels and will focus on Vader and Palpatine who are both surrounded by insurgents and stranded on an inhospitable world.

Not a bad start to the new world of Star Wars canon.

I was looking into the new foundations of canon that Disney is setting up in the novel format. So far they have the following books announced:

- STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN
    - STAR WARS: TARKIN
    - STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI
    - STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH

A new Dawn is a tie in prequel to the new Star Wars: Rebels show. Tarkin will focus on, you guessed it, Tarkin. Heir to the Jedi will star Luke and is set before Empire. Lords of the Sith is set after Sith but before Rebels and will focus on Vader and Palpatine who are both surrounded by insurgents and stranded on an inhospitable world.

Not a bad start to the new world of Star Wars canon.
    I'm actually looking forward to those myself, still iffy about the EU change but it sounds like they are moving in a good direction, so I will keep an open mind.

Member in Disguise

Who exactly is the bad guy supposed to be? Palpatine's dead, Vader's dead, Maul's dead, and the EU was retconned. The Empire was crippled (if not outright destroyed) at the end of RotJ.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.