Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    This might be a dumb question but what needs to happen in a movie in order for it to be R-rated? A lot of swearing? Well thats not necessary in these movies. Nudity/ sex? Well thats not really important in these movies. So I guess the violence? And more so how the violence is portrayed? I guess if you were to do a Punisher movie or maybe Daredevil or werewolf by night or something. But I don't think any of those are on the docket.
    One example that might provide an idea of what will cause an R rating is the color of Klingons blood in Star Trek VI. Had those scenes featured red blood instead of pink floating around the ship, in that quantity, it would have received an R rating.

Another example is the visceral intensity around how actions are depicted. This isn't as easy to explain, but Wolverine and Freddie Kruger both have claws. How they are depicted as being used, how the victim is depicted as responding to them, and how horrifying it is to the viewer to watch, is why one of those characters typically gets an R rating and the other one doesn't (with an exception of course.)

Amazing Member

One of the things it depends on is how graphic something is shown. Someone getting shot and just falling over with no blood visible would be ok. But a lot of red blood showing and with a lot of agony would get an R. I always found it interesting that there would be a difference between blood colour^^. The same happened with the old Conan Comics. They just showed the blood in black and all was right with the Comic Code.

I refuse the false tautology that R rating = good or serious movie. So far, none of the MCU movies would have been improved by an R rating.
    If Marvel takes on properties like Deadpool, I am sure they will keep it R rated, which won't make it better or more serious that Ant-Man 3 or The Marvels.

This is just another red-herring used to bash the MCU.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I refuse the false tautology that R rating = good or serious movie. So far, none of the MCU movies would have been improved by an R rating.
    If Marvel takes on properties like Deadpool, I am sure they will keep it R rated, which won't make it better or more serious that Ant-Man 3 or The Marvels.

This is just another red-herring used to bash the MCU.
    It really is as simple as this.

It's a false narrative that an R rating automatically equals good movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    One of the things it depends on is how graphic something is shown. Someone getting shot and just falling over with no blood visible would be ok. But a lot of red blood showing and with a lot of agony would get an R. I always found it interesting that there would be a difference between blood colour^^. The same happened with the old Conan Comics. They just showed the blood in black and all was right with the Comic Code.
    The way the R-rated is implemented is pretty odd in the US.

For example, the first Matrix wasn't intended to be rated-R according to Joel Silver. But the MPAA insisted on given it the R-rating because "because there's a certain number of direct strikes to the head" that cannot be depicted in a PG-13 movie. Same with the NC-17 rating, the recent Spiral was given NC-17 because of the "sound" of flesh being ripped apart, so the film makers simply removed certain sounds.

It's all very bizarre.

Mighty Member

R doesn't equal good, but it can boost a movie etc. For example, I think an R rated Carnage Movie is the only way for that to work, Carnage is a bloodthirsty Character who kills for the enjoyment of it. While you can keep it light, it'll greatly reduce the level of violence of the film and therefore take away from the point of the Character. You can get around this easily in comics because you can exaggerate action and easily replace the actual of violence on panel with a representation of what is happening, but movies are a different beast. They are fast motion which aren't still images. It's harder to get around those limitations.

I do think Wolverine worked as a movie, it again got around those limitations and The Dark Knight managed to make a mature and heavy superhero movie while also being fairly light. In fact, over here in the UK, there was controversy at the time because People thought it was too violent for a 12A. But really, it was a light on the violence because it showed a lot of implied violence. I think you can do that with Batman but it's harder to do with Carnage.

Carnage is effectively a slasher character but turned into a lovecraftian horror. Making that child friendly honestly feels inappropriate.

What makes the R rating argument even more pointless than it already is is the fact that ratings differ from country to country.

For example the R-rated, ultra-brutal, super-edgy adult movie Zack Snyder's Justice League is approved for 12 year olds in many European countries including France and Germany. So what does that tell us about the maturity and adultness of that movie?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

This might be a dumb question but what needs to happen in a movie in order for it to be R-rated? A lot of swearing? Well thats not necessary in these movies. Nudity/ sex? Well thats not really important in these movies. So I guess the violence? And more so how the violence is portrayed? I guess if you were to do a Punisher movie or maybe Daredevil or werewolf by night or something. But I don't think any of those are on the docket.
    Generally, you only get one f bomb in a pg13 movie. And usually any nudity that's more than a butt gets an R. Lots of blood usually gets an R, too, which is why as much gunplay as there is in the Bond movies, there's almost never any blood (or actual nudity, for that matter despite all the Bond women).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Moonknight is a dark character. So it will be interesting how Disney + does it. If they can do that in a PG-13 mode effectively I don't see why they can't do anything effectively. Well except for Punisher and I don't think they will ever bring him in.

Oh sorry and I guess Blade. I am not sure how they can do that PG-13. But possibly? I don't know.
    No it is more than that. Why not watch this clip and tell me how many nudity/sex and swearing we see

It's a Saving Private Ryan clip.

It has become too much of a crop out for some to also think r rating is all about nudity and sex, last I watched. Titanic was PG 13 and had that.

Moonknight is a dark character. So it will be interesting how Disney + does it. If they can do that in a PG-13 mode effectively I don't see why they can't do anything effectively. Well except for Punisher and I don't think they will ever bring him in.

A disney plus show just means it will be watered down. ironically you brought this up, because I was watching a youtube review of Shang Chi and one of the critique was talking about how the movie was trying to contain itself to the disney ratings , because it was obvious had this been not a disney movie, things would have gotten a lot more gritter and violent as many other marital arts themed movie even with a pg. Cannot say he is 100% wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Generally, you only get one f bomb in a pg13 movie. And usually any nudity that's more than a butt gets an R. Lots of blood usually gets an R, too, which is why as much gunplay as there is in the Bond movies, there's almost never any blood (or actual nudity, for that matter despite all the Bond women).
    The F bombs rules also address meaning.

“I’m going to f*cking kill him.” = PG-13; assuming it’s a one time use.

“ I’m going to f*ck him.” = R rating, even if is a one time use.

Even then it can get complicated. The movie FREQUENCY had to cut it’s one f word used as a threat because it made the scene “too intense”.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If Marvel takes on properties like Deadpool, I am sure they will keep it R rated,
    Ryan Renyolds wanted to play the character longer than 3 movies. He had plans for X-Force. MCU has said, Deadpool 3 will be the last deadpool r movies.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...rated-property

which won't make it better or more serious that Ant-Man 3 or The Marvels.
    It is not just seriousness, Content plays a factor, because usually in screenplay and directing, what tends to make movies better is when the people making the films are giving room to explore more with the source material. This is why Deadpool was a modern comic book game changer and even rejuvenated r genre and ant man is seen as one of easiest disposable MCU films to date. I rarely see anyone who does not call Ant Man movies , bottom barrel MCU films. Deadpool is not Ant-Man. It is laughable to even put them in the same category.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Ryan Renyolds wanted to play the character longer than 3 movies. He had plans for X-Force. MCU has said, Deadpool 3 will be the last deadpool r movies.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...rated-property

It is not just seriousness, Content plays a factor, because usually in screenplay and directing, what tends to make movies better is when the people making the films are giving room to explore more with the source material. This is why Deadpool was a modern comic book game changer and even rejuvenated r genre and ant man is seen as one of easiest disposable MCU films to date. I rarely see anyone who does not call Ant Man movies , bottom barrel MCU films. Deadpool is not Ant-Man. It is laughable to even put them in the same category.
    ...People point to Antman all the time and say, "This is why Disney is successful at comic films." They literally took a character that no one was asking them to make a movie of and made it a fun, successful movie.

Your bias is laughable.

Astonishing Member

No it is more than that. Why not watch this clip and tell me how many nudity/sex and swearing we see

It's a Saving Private Ryan clip.

It has become too much of a crop out for some to also think r rating is all about nudity and sex, last I watched. Titanic was PG 13 and had that.

A disney plus show just means it will be watered down. ironically you brought this up, because I was watching a youtube review of Shang Chi and one of the critique was talking about how the movie was trying to contain itself to the disney ratings , because it was obvious had this been not a disney movie, things would have gotten a lot more gritter and violent as many other marital arts themed movie even with a pg. Cannot say he is 100% wrong.

Castle I literally just talked about violence in an R movie. And you sent me a clip of saving private Ryan. Now why does a typical marvel movie need to have war violence like saving private Ryan. What purpose does that serve?
    Last edited by inisideguy; 09-09-2021 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...People point to Antman all the time and say, "This is why Disney is successful at comic films." They literally took a character that no one was asking them to make a movie of and made it a fun, successful movie.

Your bias is laughable.
    No people dont point to it. not even here, when they say bottom barrel MCU films. I will ignore Captain Marvel and Black Widow because of the sexist influence that maybe overrated how poor those films may be looked at. but Ant Man movies, Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and 3 and sometimes the Spiderman movies are usually listed as bottom barrel mcu movies.

Your bias is laughable.
    Comparing Deadpool to Antman seems like a weaker point than trying to compare The Dark Knight to Black Panther and those used to get comparisons with bias accusation, when in objective fairness, The Dark Knight did break many comic book movies artistic rules , with special effects and even story telling that Black Panther did not do. I still remember the no big cgi 3rd arc rule that is still a rare in comic story telling that TDK could do and Black Panther could not.

Deadpool changed how to see comedy in comic films, beyond it been kid friendly and just silly stuff comic bookie stuff, and not to mention Deadpool breaks the 4 wall with story telling, while still making the character believable fictional person. LOL. Antman is not Deadpool. Disney would never even have allowed MCU to do Deadpool in 2016, so how is it bias to say the are not in the same comic class. MCU did not have a class for deadpool or logan before they bought Fox.

This is why Disney is successful at comic films."
    Yes, this is true, they are successful at comic films because one could argue their comic films have become more Disney themed movies than Marvel comic themed movies. However you see some of the weakness to this style starting to crack when they made their Spiderman films and those movies ended up no where close to what Sam Raimi Spiderman films were, that were also successful and may be even more success when you adjust the box office of the Sam Raimi Spiderman film by inflation.

there is still a big significant potion of comic fans that feel this way about Deadpool/X-Men/Blade because they already have very successful movies in their own right and their movies could cover more content and film making diverse choices beyond the Disney theme films, which was a good thing for all marvel movies in general. Again, part of the reasons the R rating is necessary sometimes and even the pg 13 content is still not dumb down for crap reasons liking not choosing to do the first proposed Iron Man 3 film, when in truth, some pg 13 xmen films have covered stories stronger then what would have been the original Iron Man 3 film.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-09-2021 at 01:29 PM.

ironically you brought this up, because I was watching a youtube review of Shang Chi and one of the critique was talking about how the movie was trying to contain itself to the disney ratings , because it was obvious had this been not a disney movie, things would have gotten a lot more gritter and violent as many other marital arts themed movie even with a pg. Cannot say he is 100% wrong.
    But they are wrong, because Shang Chi was not meant to be a gritty Hong Kong Kung Fu flick with lot's of blood spurting. Sorry if that is the movie they and you wanted and can't get past it for the movie it is. It was done in the fashion of the big budget Chinese fantasy films. Very few of those are anywhere near an R movie. They are big all ages adventures, just like Shang Chi.
    Aren't tired of throwing shade on the MCU movies knowing no one agrees with you and just sees your slanted view for what it is. It's starting to be pretty sad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!