Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    "Fake?" The brunette Hippolyta was not in THE DARKSEID WAR if I recall correctly so she did not give birth to Jason, a New 52/Geoff Johns creation.

And I strongly disagree: there's much to be confused about as to which items were cherrypicked in the Wonder Woman mythos pre-REBIRTH and carried over as current canon.
    Am sure in the last issue of darkseid war, it showed Hippolyta with brunette hair right after the birth of Jason, Johns defo did that deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    Am sure in the last issue of darkseid war, it showed Hippolyta with brunette hair right after the birth of Jason, Johns defo did that deliberately.
    No, I'm looking at it now, and she is still blonde. Just a "memory sequence" bluish filter on everything.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Considering that that was the arc where it was established there were lies about the island and that we see blonde Hippolyta largely through Diana's memories, it's possible the differing versions of Paradise Island were melding in her head. In the same memory showing New 52 Hippolyta, Diana identifies herself as the only child of Themyscira, and that was clearly not true in the Azzarello run (Aleka and the rest). This was before Rebirth was even announced.
    Personally, I always felt Geoff Johns pretty much ignored what Azzarello & Chiang were doing in their issues of New52 Wonder Woman, so the idea of "differing versions of Paradise Island" even before Rucka and Rebirth wouldn't surprise me.

I'm sorry but the more I think about this, the more insane it is to me. How tone deaf can DC be? Right now we are having a big moment where Wonder Woman is the most popular movie in the country, almost the world, we have merchandise flying off the shelves and more interest than ever. And they're going to make the next run...right at this time...about an origin destroying brother?
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 06-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I'm sorry but the more I think about this, the more insane it is to me. How tone deaf can DC be? Right now we are having a big moment where Wonder Woman is the most popular movie in the country, almost the world, we have merchandise flying off the shelves and more interest than ever. And they're going to make the next run...right at this time...about an origin destroying brother?
    It's like they just said "Oh yeah? Hold my beer."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

A brother doesn't destroy her origin. He was actually left put of the origin that was just told

A brother doesn't destroy her origin but it's not needed when you could be more focuse on being back many allies we haven't seen. Diana has not a high rate of keeping new characters. Shouldn't we yes focus on new characters but also add old ones instead of adding more new characters ? I wouldn't mind Jason but we also have grail ? Who we probably will not seen after this.

And how long before they knew if this movie would succeed or fail did they have to plan some of this out?

How does having a brother destroy her origin? Its an addition to it, it doesn't change what's already been established. She was the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus before this (and in the movie), and will still be so after this.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    How does having a brother destroy her origin? Its an addition to it, it doesn't change what's already been established. She was the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus before this (and in the movie), and will still be so after this.
    Actually, I don't think that "Zeus-daddy" thing has been either confirmed or denied under Rebirth yet, so I don't know if your "doesn't change what's already been established" applies to this yet.

Astonishing Member

An, the joys of DC desperately digging in the dumpster of dumb ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Wow......James fended off that sexist comment with total class.
    A) Unless he's going to offer a money back guarantee, what good is his "promise"? It's worthless. It's not like he was upfront about how crappy Cry for Justice was going to be, right?

B) What's sexist about wanting to read the adventures of the title character? I read WW, in part, to get away from the greedy boys that need to dominate industry. If there's one thing superheroes don't need more of, it's men (more specially straight, white, American men).

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Gosh! People are acting like Diana's not allowed to have male guest stars, or something.
    Gosh, aren't you acting just a wee bit like people aren't allowed to have a negative impression of a really over-used and lazy trope? Do we have to like every idea they throw at us?

Further, a brother is not a "guest star." For starters, he's not a star, he's a hang-on; his only claim of any importance is "Hey, look, WW has a long-lost brother. Again." And, guest starts like Superman don't fundamentally change a title character's back story the way a new sibling does.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And how long before they knew if this movie would succeed or fail did they have to plan some of this out?
    And therein lies the failure. DC waited. They had no plan for a successful WW movie. Big missed opportunity, because DC leadership was asleep at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If your mom and dad told you now that, at the time of your birth, they threw your twin out the window, because they didn't want a daughter, wouldn't that affect how you think of them?
    Last edited by Awonder; 06-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Note to Awonder: shouldn't you, oh, I don't know . . . maybe wait to see what he does first in an actual story before making all these statements?

Yes, you have a right to be worried about what could / might happen, but we don't know for sure yet if that's how everything will actually occur or not, do we?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Note to Awonder: shouldn't you, oh, I don't know . . . maybe wait to see what he does first in an actual story before making all these statements?

Yes, you have a right to be worried about what could / might happen, but we don't know for sure yet if that's how everything will actually occur or not, do we?
    No, we don't know what will happen. But, why do comments like yours only pop up when people don't like an idea? If I had said, "I'm so excited for this," would you have still replied, "but, you don't know what will happen?" Have you never made a statement about a book or movie you hadn't read or seen?

While I don't know the specifics of this story, I do know just how tired I am of lazy writing tropes, of which, 'long lost family' is a top contender. When was the last time that cliche resulted in a really good story? And, besides the Summers family tree, how many superheroes have more long lost family members than WW?

It's not an original idea. It's not even the author's own idea. He's a fill-in for an old gimmick. Why should I wait to have an impression? Are they confident enough that this is so great that they offer a money-back guarantee? No? They only want me to have an opinion after I give them my money. Sorry, but they have a poor track record here to trust them on this.
    Last edited by Awonder; 06-22-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Spectacular Member

A little bit of overreaction on your part. The book is still about Wonder Woman, she is still the main focus of the story. Her brother is only a part of the story.

I just think DC needs new leadership and has for a very long time now.