Page 87 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091971371875871087 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    Wow, so I got the Infinity hardcover today.

It's one thing to see the pictures, but actually having the pages go all wavy and almost warping the entire book in just an hour is insane. I've now got it lying down, sandwiched between two other books. Hopefully that'll straighten it out a bit so I can stand it back up.

I now see why people were complaining about it so much
    I got it too some time ago and as soon as it was out of its wrapping it went wavy at the edges. TBH it doesn't bother me it's still a lovely book and I got it at a very, very low price. Price point is king for me TBH.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Just got an email from CHEAP-COMICS. They've got some special deals for Europeans including:

Avengers Omnibus Vol. 1 - EUR 29.99
    Avengers West Coast Omnibus Vol. 1 - EUR 39.50
    Man-Thing Omnibus - EUR 45.00
    New Avengers Omnibus - EUR 49.50
    Secret Wars Omnibus - EUR 49.50
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man EUR 49.50
    X-Statix Omnibus EUR 29.50

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Just got an email from CHEAP-COMICS. They've got some special deals for Europeans including:

X-statix is really tempting for this price but they don't ship to Hungary...oh well
    edit: oh I see now, I should send them an email, but it seems that their usual shipping prices are quite good.
    really-really tempting....thanks for the sleepless night Raffi!!
    Last edited by Balakin; 05-23-2014 at 10:38 AM.

My infinity was wavy and got worse and worse as I read it. But after that I put it on the shelf and ignored it. Now when I take it out it's hardly wavy at all. Opens quite nicely.

This is not the case with the few marvel now PHCs I have. I read them. They waved and now the covers don't even lay closed. I am getting rid of the all new xmen and Thor ones in favour of the OHCs. My nephew won't care about the build quality when I give them to him.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

Marvel Now Omnibus is cheap at €19.50, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

My main problem with the Infinity book is every aspect of the build is awful, not just the paper. It's got this awful square binding thing going on which looks awful when every other book (actually Ultron is just the same) has a normal curved spine. If this is going to be the standard for overpriced event books then it's an easy pass.

The NOW OHCs have the flat spine as well.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    X-statix is really tempting for this price but they don't ship to Hungary...oh well
    edit: oh I see now, I should send them an email, but it seems that their usual shipping prices are quite good.
    Send them an email and they'll give you a shipping quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Send them an email and they'll give you a shipping quote.
    I'm really hesitating, it seems like X-statix is going on clearance everywhere so I should pick it up now. The problem is that I'm gonna move to a new place at the end of the summer and I really should not buy big books like this, because I don't know how many can I move (and I have a few already)
    edit: couldn't resist and just sent an email. No harm in asking.
    Last edited by Balakin; 05-23-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Read an article this morning about the Amazon vs Hachette battle going on. Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...tw-share&_r=1&

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I don't know? Canadians?
    I've only done so once and that was for the Ultimates omnibus.

Although if if I paid what I pay for $125 omnis for $100 omnis I'd nearly be paying cover price. The $125 price point is much more significant here.

Amazing Member

Apologies to Inferno for having to edit my post. I'll bear that in mind for future (wasn't sure if linking would be frowned upon).

OT: My copy of the Stern Spider-Man Omnibus from books_any FINALLY arrived. I mean, for the price I'm willing to put up with a four week wait, it just strikes me as crazy considering that they usually dispatch it really quickly. Most books I order from the states arrive within two weeks. Regardless, that book is fuckin' gorgeous. My exams are over in a couple weeks, so I'm definitely going to spend an afternoon just reading that cover to cover.

As much as I want to read all of Spider-Man from the start, the sensibilities of the first 100 or so issues just aren't really my thing. Just flicking through the Stern book it looks to me to be a melding of the different ages. The obscene descriptions are scrapped in favour of mostly showing the action, bit the books still have a goofy sense of fun about them.

How is the Conway stuff in comparison? Or is this the earliest I should go?

Quote Originally Posted by GetEveryone View Post
    Apologies to Inferno for having to edit my post. I'll bear that in mind for future (wasn't sure if linking would be frowned upon).

OT: My copy of the Stern Spider-Man Omnibus from books_any FINALLY arrived. I mean, for the price I'm willing to put up with a four week wait, it just strikes me as crazy considering that they usually dispatch it really quickly. Most books I order from the states arrive within two weeks. Regardless, that book is fuckin' gorgeous. My exams are over in a couple weeks, so I'm definitely going to spend an afternoon just reading that cover to cover.

As much as I want to read all of Spider-Man from the start, the sensibilities of the first 100 or so issues just aren't really my thing. Just flicking through the Stern book it looks to me to be a melding of the different ages. The obscene descriptions are scrapped in favour of mostly showing the action, bit the books still have a goofy sense of fun about them.

How is the Conway stuff in comparison? Or is this the earliest I should go?
    The Lee/Romita era is a helluva lot better than the Conway era stuff. In fact, the Lee/Romita era is the best Spider-Man ever. Don't you know that? I like the Stern run, but there's too many artists contributing and quite a few of them were mediocre at best. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend reading Spider-Man much past the Stern era, because sometime after Roger stopped writing, Spiderman was replaced by a corporate clone who only did what editorial wanted him to do. It really goes down hill from there and the art really starts to suck....for a whole decade.

FYI for those with Books-a-million near by. The first of the Marvel Now has started to reach close-outs. All of the first PHCs and TPBs were on clearance.

I noticed a few recent OHCs and a couple of older ones:
    Avengers: Endless Wartime
    Spider-man Wolverine by Wells and Madureira
    X-men: Origins I & II
    Wolverine vs the Marvel Universe

This was a slower BAM, with a more limited selection. I would imagine the larger ones would have more.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Sorry about the headache Balakin

Let us know how much the shipping quote turns out to be. I'm curious. I've never actually ordered from them even though I registered as I always found better deals elsewhere.

The X-Statix Omnibus is at a very good price. It's been on clearance in various retailers since the blowout last year but not everywhere in Europe. I would pick it up in a heartbeat, but it's just not my cup of tea. I know you like that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Read an article this morning about the Amazon vs Hachette battle going on. Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...tw-share&_r=1&
    Was just about to post this myself. Things really aren't looking good for those who have to order from Amazon. So far the Marvel omnibus pre-orders are still available. Discount is only about 25% for most of them. Not sure if this is normal. I assumed it was always in the 30% range.