Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    In the comics or the movies...or both?
    Both. First movie was alright for an origin story limited to the things that snyder already planned. But after that? sigh

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    And this as well. So much this.
    All of you who don't like people that don't praise how good WW's situation is can ignore my thread.

OT. The law clearly limits how long you can own an IP. So time will tell what happens. I think they will lose the rights.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Riiiiiight. And then those laws change as needed.
    Not to get too political, but this is just the way legislature and capitalism work in this country. That's a simple fact.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    All of you who don't like people that don't praise how good WW's situation is can ignore my thread.

OT. The law clearly limits how long you can own an IP. So time will tell what happens. I think they will lose the rights.
    They wouldn't lose the rights. They'd still be able to do and use WW, earlier GA Wonder Woman issues would just now in the public domain.

Astonishing Member

If you wanna make your own Wonder Woman based around on the Golden Age era someday you could in the future.

I would suggest renaming to avoid brand confusion and be able to use the character name on covers. Maybe Wondrous Woman for example.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Not to get too political, but this is just the way legislature and capitalism work in this country. That's a simple fact.
    Yes. That's what I was pointing out ��

That's hard to do when every thread seems to end up here...

It seems I need to repeat myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    All the public domain thing means is that others can do their own comics with the character. It doesn't mean that DC can't use Diana or the rest of the Wonder family any more, they'd only lose exclusivity. And there's no way they'll give up the rights any other way. Besides, it'll affect Bruce and Clark first.
    Someone could launch a comic called Paradise Comics, and have it star a Wonder Woman operating in World War II with the Diana Prince secret identity. But they couldn't call the comic Wonder Woman, because DC would still have the rights to the trademark.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-12-2022 at 07:38 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It seems I need to repeat myself.

Someone could launch a comic called Paradise Comics, and have it star a Wonder Woman operating in World War II with the Diana Prince secret identity. But they couldn't call the comic Wonder Woman, because DC would still have the rights to the trademark.
    We'll see about that.

If we wanted to be practical about this, consider the scenarios where DC would lose WW outside of an outright purchase of the entire DC catalog. Not sure why DC would sell the WW franchise for its remaining 14 years before it hits public domain. Is that what people are predicting? Just seems like a weird, oddly-specific transaction. I don't know what's in it for the seller or the buyer, or what kind of price they'd agree upon. I can't even imagine a Toberoff-style lawsuit this late in the ballgame.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

4 pages of the same back and forth lol when we know what won't happen lol

If anything, can we just turn this into a "What if" conversation

I love that the title question is not "if" but "when"

Worth keeping in mind that the iteration of Diana which becomes public domain would be rather different from the modern take.
    No flight, Amazons don't do magic. Clay origin. Magic lasso wont enter the public domain for a few more years, though invisible plane and purple ray are free game. Amazons aside from Diana cannot leave the island without special permission. Etta Candy and the Holliday girls are on the table, Diana having a secret identity and working as either a theater attraction, nurse, or secretary for Army Intelligence as the officer ranking wont be for a few more years either.

And of course the villains would be limited to whats available at the time. So your Doctor Poisons, your Duke of Deception, your King Blakfu. Though Priscilla Rich would be Cheetah and Giganta is a hyper evolved gorilla mom.

The most curious bit about the public domain stuff when it comes to Wonder Woman is the huge grey area that comes with the Greek mythology stuff. They were not added into her mythos until decades later for the most part, but im not entirely sure that DC could do anything if someone wanted to toss in say, Hera or Deimos and Phobos even if they didn't pop up in the comics until decades later. Only being able to raise a fuss if specific character designs were used.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    4 pages of the same back and forth lol when we know what won't happen lol
    Welcome to threads started certain posters.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Assuming that WW does enter public domain, does anyone know which issues will be the cut off point after which nobody can use any character or concept that was introduced after said issue?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly