Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Always funnier to talk about things we dislike.

But to keep things happy, happy, happy : Madmartigan and Sorsha.

Well, it kinda involves the use of some weird fairy's drug but who cares right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    The "romantic" scenes between Radcliff and Wright in the HP movies are so deliciously awkward.

I don't know, maybe they were great pals on set but on screen the chemistry is absent.

They were quite young though so i guess it's understandable.
    Harry and Hermione or Dan and Emma had better chemistry. Rowling must have changed her views after watching the movies.

Ginny and Harry never made sense. It should have been Harry and Luna or that girl he met at the cafe at the beginning of Half Blood Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Harry and Hermione or Dan and Emma had better chemistry. Rowling must have changed her views after watching the movies.

Ginny and Harry never made sense. It should have been Harry and Luna or that girl he met at the cafe at the beginning of Half Blood Prince.
    Think Rowling has said she gets where people come from, but has stayed with her version.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Anakin and Padme were given good chemistry in Clone Wars. One of the many things that show managed to salvage when it comes to the prequels.

Extraordinary Member

Great:

Sam Malone and Diane Chambers on Cheers

Cliff and Claire Huxtable on The Cosby Show

John and Olivia Walton on The Waltons

Samantha and Darren (#1) Stevens on Bewitched

Rob and Laura Petrie on The Dick van Dyke Show
    Last edited by caj; 08-10-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Good:
    Mulder and Sculy - X-Flies
    Vanessa and Ethan - Penny Dreadful
    Nick and Adalind - Grimm
    Castle and Beckett - Castle
    Bones and Booth - Bones
    Jax and Tara - Sons of Anarchy
    Paul and Jamie - Mad About You
    David and Kristen - Evil

Bad:
    Connor and Cordelia - Angel
    Ted and Robin - HIMYM after season 4

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Yeah Rowling has changed her mind a lot over the years about who should have been with whom, though in the books it's pretty clear to me that the characters ended up with the right person, many of the fights between Ron and Hermione get overblown and at the time that they happened the characters were only like 13 or so and neither realized that they were in love until the end of the series...as for Harry and Ginny it was built up over the time, nothing outright however I don't see it as having come from out of nowhere, it just built until it popped up in the 6th book and took Harry by surprise, though Ginny never stopped liking him, the movies certainly did the couples no justice...

Extraordinary Member

For a dark horse good one from a particular franchise... Lois and Clark from Smallville.

I like most other versions of the characters, but I’d argue one of the few consistently good things about the last few seasons of Smallville was Lois and Clark... largely because Erica Durrance turned out to be a complete natural at blending a screwball romantic comedy dynamic into anything else that was going on in the show, and she actually had a pretty good acting rapport with Tom Welling even when he wasn’t necessarily impressing anyone. The last season is arguably a strong argument for why a Lois who knows who Clark is and is in a committed relationship with him can still be a blast juts in terms of ensemble impact.

I know Lois and Clark was sold on the dynamic itself, but I kind of think that Smallville wound up doing it better.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Grimm - Monroe and Rosaliee

They actually had a full story arc over the series and showed to me that people that balk at letting people not get connected as wrong and possibly weak writers.

It's time to put the Moonlighting curse to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Grimm - Monroe and Rosaliee

They actually had a full story arc over the series and showed to me that people that balk at letting people not get connected as wrong and possibly weak writers.
    Agreed. Their relationship was very charming to watch develop. I actually ended up mostly watching the show for them, in fact, rather than the "star".

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    For good: Ant-Man and Wasp in the Marvel movies (actors did the comedy really well and had some more serious moments).
    I thought the actors were great (even though I don't care about Hope) and they kicked-butt as a duo when they actually go to be one, but I just never felt any believable romance between these two or felt like the movie was really investing in them as a couple.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The thread is about both best and worst chemistry, not just worst chemistry. I chose to go with examples of best.

Kind of weird everyone else is only naming worst. I rechecked the title to make sure "best" was there too.
    Ok, I misunderstood then.

Mainly because everybody were only naming bad ones.

Not the worst, but I feel like this is an unpopular take: I just don't see what Troi sees in Riker. They're lovely parents, but the road to get there wasn't all that convincing. To me, they're just two people who dated and came out of it deciding they should just stay as very good friends. There's no shame in that.

----

In a subversion, Bumblebee has Charlie and Memo being propped up as a couple, and it's soon clear that it's actually pretty one-sided, to the point where Charlie just flatly tells Memo to hold up there. It's not "bad" chemistry, just a different kind of chemistry -- they're good together, just as friends, and he respects that. But even the rejection doesn't seem forced, since it's been pretty consistent throughout the film. (like, that approach by itself already made the movie 80% more mature than the other Bayformer movies)
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-10-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Things like this make it difficult to take fan opinions of chemistry seriously.

Candice Patton: The chemistry was immediate.

Grant Gustin: I don't even remember any of the other Iris auditions. She was it.

I remember back when "Sky High" was done and people said Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston had no chemistry and Russell clearly hated his role. A decade later, he was asked about his favorite movies and he listed Sky High as one of them and working with Preston as a big reason.

So I tend to be skeptical when people say two people have no chemistry, etc. They tend to be projecting their dislike of two characters being together.

Iris does the same thing everybody else does on the Flash. She gives pep speeches and finds solutions just like Joe and everybody else does, often solutions that are not needed because, without plot-induced stupidity, Barry would just blitz the problem. She and Barry constantly have issues like all other CW romances because that's the nature of all the writing.
    Why would you ever think the actors on an ongoing show would say anything different? Unless one is trying to get off the show they are ALWAYS going to save positive things about the show and each other. Its only later after shows have been cancelled that you ever hear the truth. Sometimes its still the same but sometimes its not. For instance David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson always said glowing things about each other in interviews but after they'd had both left the X-Files the truth about how they didn't really get along started to come out. They put bygones aside for seasons 10 and 11 many years later but it was still just a professional relationship for a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought the actors were great (even though I don't care about Hope) and they kicked-butt as a duo when they actually go to be one, but I just never felt any believable romance between these two or felt like the movie was really investing in them as a couple.
    Fair enough if you thought so. I thought they sold the affection when it was called for, the teasing rang true to what people who care for each other will do, and they were given moments to talk about important stuff. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    In a subversion, Bumblebee has Charlie and Memo being propped up as a couple, and it's soon clear that it's actually pretty one-sided, to the point where Charlie just flatly tells Memo to hold up there. It's not "bad" chemistry, just a different kind of chemistry -- they're good together, just not as friends, and he respects that. But even the rejection doesn't seem forced, since it's been pretty consistent throughout the film. (like, that approach by itself already made the movie 80% more mature than the other Bayformer movies)
    Suppose it could be debated if it was a definitive "no" or a "it might happen someday, but not right now." Still, agreed that it was written pretty well and the actors sold it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)