Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Yeah, I know. I understand what you are saying. People complain in Gambit's solos when a new female is introduced as well. The last being Joelle who was in a large number of issues.

The difference being Rogue's length of time in existence as compared to Briar's. New characters have a harder time getting a foothold as it were. Take more time to develop a following.
    Joelle wasn't interesting though...Briar appeared to look like a human girl getting close to Magneto for some unseen revenge yet ended up being drawn into his conflict and proves once again how he is the most charismatic mutant of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Joelle wasn't interesting though...Briar appeared to look like a human girl getting close to Magneto for some unseen revenge yet ended up being drawn into his conflict and proves once again how he is the most charismatic mutant of all time.
    *chuckles* that is subjective though. I didn't find Briar as interesting as you do. If you like her ... all good with me. I'm just not jazzed about her.

I literally bought for Magneto, not so much his cast of characters even though I know he'd have to have some.

That said, both solos were done with different ideologies in mind in story telling. They're not exactly the same.

Again, I get what you are saying. Joelle was to be a challenge for Gambit in his realm. While Briar's role was different for Magneto. Gambit's solo was also light on continuity, whereas Mags was built off of a main book and continued in that vain. Different approaches.
    Last edited by Neko; 11-14-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Stock·holm syn·drome

noun: Stockholm syndrome

feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

Briar was never Magneto's captive. Magneto didn't know that she even existed until she sought him out. If you want to make a comparison, try the women and men who fixate on/become romantically involved with imprisoned serial killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Learned about that when you were still a infant, kiddo. Still doesn't make a lick of sense. Plenty of situations in Marvel have turned survivors into allies of heroes and villains. I mean...Rogue has fought Magneto for earth's survival yet was sleeping with him by 2011 in #249. And she Damn sure isn't no slave to her captor and all of that silly rhetoric.
    Age related condescension aside, it doesn't only involve being captive (that's just the most famous case and women obsessed with serial killers also weren't held hostage by them, so undermines your own point) it's emotional bonding in abuse/intidimation victims, as a survival mechanism. Saying briar's obsessed with/helping him because he's just so super awesome is more of a shallow characterization than saying she has Stockholm.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Age related condescension aside, it doesn't only involve being captive (that's just the most famous case and women obsessed with serial killers also weren't held hostage by them, so undermines your own point) it's emotional bonding in abuse/intidimation victims, as a survival mechanism. Saying briar's obsessed with/helping him because he's just so super awesome is more of a shallow characterization than saying she has Stockholm.
    read what I wrote again. I didn't give people falling in love with criminals as an example of Stockholm syndrome. I said that you'd be making a better analogy to the Briar/Magneto relationship. and, no, I don't agree with your last statement; at all.

She is no more or less than Joelle from Gambit's series. A plot device for the main man whose name is on the title. No offense to any who love her, she didn't exist until Mags book.

Briar was created for Magneto's solo for a purpose. To show certain elements or showcase Magneto in some way.

The difference is Briar was picked up for another book. While Joelle was killed off.
    LOL
    Last edited by Neko; 11-14-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

BANNED

It isn't ageism for Person A to point out that they're older than Person B and that Person A learned some factoid before Person B was born.

Also, Michael Watkins is right in that what Briar has going on with Magneto is NOT Stockholm Syndrome, or even in the vicinity of it. The comparison to women who fall for serial killers is much more apt. She is, in essence, a Magneto groupie. Just look at how she carries herself with Magneto. She doesn't come off like an emotional abuse victim AT ALL, nor does she come across as delusional or otherwise having broken with the reality of the situation she's put herself in. She also hasn't pursued Magneto as part of a survival mechanism, because other than whatever incident that made her need a brace, she hasn't even crossed Magneto's path until recently, and by her own design. She is simply a groupie.

BANNED

What was Rogue's excuse then? In X Men 87, after Magneto made the world bow down and his plan ended Joseph's run, why did Rogue try to rip Wolverine's arm off when he went for the kill on Magneto? Lol. What was her excuse in Uncanny 304? She has PERSONALLY SEEN HIM KILL and do extreme acts in his cause..she still loves him, has open conversations with him, doesn't want him jailed, and damn near rebelled against her team to keep him untouched.

The most important thing to remember here is that she was Magnetos first handicapped woman.

His next bedpiece will be an Inhuman. Another first.

Astonishing Member

The forum reaction to that could be quite funny... he marries medusa for a political treaty, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    She is no more or less than Joelle from Gambit's series. A plot device for the main man whose name is on the title. No offense to any who love her, she didn't exist until Mags book.

Briar was created for Magneto's solo for a purpose. To show certain elements or showcase Magneto in some way.

The difference is Briar was picked up for another book. While Joelle was killed off.
    LOL
    That I can agree with. She was create to play off of mags, and I don't really have strong feeling about her one way or another. But her groupie-ness started after he maimed her and didn't he kill her family? and even that quote about her from earlier talks about how she thinks he's going to go off the deep end again, and she trying moderate that (the 'survival' part, so two hallmarks of Stockholm) so I was just calling a spade a spade. Though I can't say if Bunn was intentionally going for that angle. But if some fans think, he's super awesome, is more complex, interesting character motivation, then to each their own, I suppose.

I stan her!

she's a storm chaser

I sincerely hope she's his second-in-command when he inevitably reforms the Brotherhood.

I keep expecting her to take off her mask to reveal Fabian Cortez. this woman managed to out-crazy Astra.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    The most important thing to remember here is that she was Magnetos first handicapped woman.
    In his head, he's pretending she's Charles.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I stan her!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    she's a storm chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I sincerely hope she's his second-in-command when he inevitably reforms the Brotherhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In his head, he's pretending she's Charles.
    Agreed with all of you. Great comments

Briar really is a nice fun character. She is a total human being and she was even harmed by Mags but her odd brand of masochism focuses on the destructive potential and the fight within his own soul. It's pretty cool, she can come off somewhat as a cliche like "look it's the edgy chick" but I like it
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY