Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    What we need is a Black female version of Prof X who gathered a team of oppressed poc mutants together.
    Callisto should be black.

Mighty Member

Storm success can easily be understood for several reasons

1. She's extremely attractive and has a unique look that separates her from others who look like her
    2. She is regal.
    3. Stop making "relatable black characters" nobody reads comics to see themselves they go to see their idealized self. That's why Storm and Bishop stand out
    4. She is not an angry person hellbent on destroying her oppressors. In fact she's often the voice of compassion
    5. Her story is not based on her race
    6. Her story is not inherently or rather uniquely defined as a pro immigration or acceptance story,
    7. She provides something none of the other team does
    8. She's motherly rather than girl powery like America Chavez
    9. She's rational
    10. She celebrates her heritage while not trying to force her culture. She just wants and demands respect for herself and her people
    Last edited by Gripstir; 08-11-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Storm success can easily be understood for several reasons

1. She's extremely attractive and has a unique look that separates her from others who look like her
    2. She is regal.
    3. Stop making "relatable black characters" nobody reads comics to see themselves they go to see their idealized self. That's why Storm and Bishop stand out
    4. She is not an angry person hellbent on destroying her oppressors. In fact she's often the voice of compassion
    5. Her story is not based on her race
    6. Her story is not inherently or rather uniquely defined as a pro immigration or acceptance story,
    7. She provides something none of the other team does
    8. She's motherly rather than girl powery like America Chavez
    9. She's rational
    10. She celebrates her heritage while not trying to force her culture. She just wants and demands respect for herself and her people
    Many of those fit Cecelia Reyes. They do want power fantasies, though. Not all power fantasies are the same.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    These people not living the realities of Black folks when we all have a white grandpa down the line because of the sexual violence of slavery from North America to the Caribbean to South America. It was just an article about this that rocked folks around the country as it showed this violence in a way that people could not hide.
    I studied this issue for a while now and i have more of idea what's going on now.
    Larger number of blacks in the Caribbean do have not any admixture looking at dna samples and you have to careful about what regions or places you talking about.
    For example for haiti and Jamaica most blacks do not have any white admixture,but in the dominican republic and puerto rico most do.
    Some blacks in north and south america do not have white admixture or any admixture from other races at all,so let's keep that mind.

quote-
    As a result of centuries of having children with white people, the majority of African Americans have some European admixture, and many white people also have African ancestry. Writer and editor Debra Dickerson questions the legitimacy of the one-drop rule, stating that "easily one-third of black people have white DNA".She argues that in ignoring their European ancestry, African Americans are denying their fully articulated multi-racial identities. The peculiarity of the one-drop rule may be illustrated by the case of singer Mariah Carey, who was publicly called "another white girl trying to sing black", but in an interview with Larry King, responded that—despite her physical appearance and the fact that she was raised primarily by her white mother—due to the one-drop rule she did not "feel white". Recently, the possibility of genetic testing has raised new questions about the way African Americans describe their race.

Majority of black women were not rape in america.
    There is Major confusion on this.
    What has a happen is that some were rape(still a minority but large enough) but overtime those descendants intermarry with unmixed blacks and overtime most african americans had some form of white ancestry(from really small to large enough).
    I saw a static recently that show that even before 1890 after slavery most african americans were unmixed.
    After 1890 the black american population with some form of admixture just happen to out grow the ones that did not have any.

quote-
    By the way i saw/read some statistics saying that most black americans before 1890’s were unmixed.
    The black population that had some form admixture out grew the black american population that were unmixed,and it happen over time in 1800’s and more so the 1900’s.
    There could be varied reasons for that but in terms of raw numbers for example the unmixed black population was almost close in size to the black population in the 1930’s for example but that gap got wider faster i think in 1950’s or 60’s.
    So it just happens for whatever reasons the unmixed black populations in america grew in numbers slow while those with admixture grew fast.
    There is number of reasons for that however.
    Better access to food,healthcare,increased intermarriages in 1950's and 60's and 70's more so etc..but there are still large number of unmixed african americans and more so black americans(if you add other black groups who are not ethnic african americans).
    The african americans with some form of admixture just happen to be the minority for most of the 1800's and only a slight majority for the last 10 years of the 1800's.
    For other black americans like african africans(those not descendants of black american slaves) and caribbean black americans are unmixed by the way.

Huge numbers of White americans( hispanic whites and non hispanics) have modern native and black ancestry but that's not talk about as often.
    I think i read something recently saying it's the majority of white americans.
    If not then a large minority of white americans,but i think it's majority from new recent reports.

It was thought of by some years ago that most black americans had some form of native american dna but as time went on this was not case.
    Note- there are some who believe that most african amerians are still unmixed blacks and question these dna test,so keep that in mind.
    Example.
    23andMe updates its ancestry reports, but they're still not perfect
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/15/23...l-not-perfect/

Okay the above is real life by the way but when comes to american sci-fi/fantasy superhero comics it's different story/different universes,laws,history etc.. and most african americans and white americans for example do not have any other race admixture at all.

Here some talk about that and sunspot in the comics and movies for example.
    THREAD: NEW MUTANTS MOVIE
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Movie/page304

Some other talk.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Issue-6/page13
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-Vol-2/page11

Here is another example of comics vs real life and how different it is when it comes to background etc..
    For latinos most are shown as poc in comics, but in real life in the u.s. census for example most are classified as white.
    If comics followed the example of what most latinos call themselves in real life then most latinos would be shown as white in comics too,but that's not the case.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-12-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the all Black/POC team of mutants to debut and for the ensuing cries of, "Why are they together like that? What excuse do they have to be together?"

What we need is a Black female version of Prof X who gathered a team of oppressed poc mutants together.
    And a team of Black/POC characters with one White person? Not necessarily a mutant? A Moira? A girlfriend?
    And why would they be all oppressed?
    I think it’s interesting to confront what it is to be different to be a mutant and what is to be different to be a member of a minority: a mutant that is Black, you just add a layer of difference but there are humans who are Black… as there are mutants who are White.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

I Edited/add some more info above.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-12-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    And a team of Black/POC characters with one White person? Not necessarily a mutant? A Moira? A girlfriend?
    And why would they be all oppressed?
    I think itÂ’s interesting to confront what it is to be different to be a mutant and what is to be different to be a member of a minority: a mutant that is Black, you just add a layer of difference but there are humans who are BlackÂ… as there are mutants who are White.
    The problem with the mutants is that you always has a more extreme example, Storm still is "human like". Someone like Glob or Toad hits the uncanny valley.

If they want to include the real racial problems they need to include the humans aswell as you said it.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 08-12-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    The problem with the mutants is that you always has a more extreme example, Storm still is "human like". Someone like Glob or Toad hits the uncanny valley.

If they want to include the real racial problems they need to include the humans aswell as you said it.
    It’s true: being a mutant isn’t being a member of an homogenous group and there’s no reason why there would be no prejudice in this particular group.

But it is also the case of Black people: some of them can be bigots, proggressists, raised in countries where all people are Black… It is mixed with personal experience, varied backgrounds.

I advocate for a diversity of situations, rich of drama…
    Last edited by Zelena; 08-12-2020 at 01:00 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It’s true: being a mutant isn’t being a member of an homogenous group and there’s no reason why there would be no prejudice in this particular group.

But it is also the case of Black people: some of them can be bigots, proggressists, raised in countries where all people are Black… It is mixed with personal experience, varied backgrounds.

I advocate for a diversity of situations, rich of drama…
    This is a very good point. I think that a lot of the times in these discussions people tend to forget that diversity means different things throughout the world and you can't universally apply the US point of view on any other place in the world.

Like my country is not exactly racially diverse. Chances are less than 1 in 10 that you're not white over here and if you're not white chances are 9 in 10 that you're Roma and if you're not you're probably Asian (more specifically Vietnamese due to Commie era immigration). The rest of races are represented very little, there are some black / mixed people, but there's still a good chance that a large part of the population have never seen a black person other than on TV if they haven't traveled abroad or go to soccer / basketball games. And it's changing very slowly as there's not much reason for migrating here and we just historically don't have any connection with black people through colonialism. You don't exactly need to engage in slave trade when you are making your own people into serfs (until 1780). Still when you look at the genome of people here most are a mix of various ethnicities asides from Slavic, such as German, Roma, Hungarian, Turkish (due to Turkish invasions even).

I know that X-Men are an US-comic but the current story is about the mutant population from the whole world coming to live from Krakoa and so far they haven't exactly done a great job at showing the diversity that the world offers. There should definitely be more non U.S. black people like you mention, just as there should be more people from all over the world in various forms of diversity if we are to believe that Krakoa is a nation for mutants from ALL over the world.

I know I'm getting really off topic here, but I think that Marvel can be pretty terrible at showing various kinds diversity, not just black people. I feel like I live in that blank spot on their map between Germany and Russia where they have slated some pseudo-post-Soviet-Russian countries even though prior to WWII our history was far more connected with Germany and Austria.

Mighty Member

Nah we don’t want her you can keep her

Ultimate Member

A Wakandan mutant school, or one opened by Wakanda in another country, and specifically for mutants, might be one way to sort of organically gather a bunch of black mutants together, without it feeling weirdly coincidental. "All the melanin gathered at this end of the room again. What are the odds?" (Not that we've ever needed an excuse for a whole team of white mutants to get together, like the original five X-Men, so an all black or all Asian team *shouldn't* be any different, but, of course, it wouldn't be seen that way...)

Quote Originally Posted by Npresh24 View Post
    The three Black Women I want to take off are

One of the biggest missed oppurtunities was to not cast Blink in 616 X-Men after her popularity in A0A especially with Nightcrawler in Excalibur , She could have also served as a replacer character for Psylocke. Even though she is visually Pink , I think a 616 Blink charactered after AOA Blink would have taken off.

Next we have Cipher AKA Black Shadowcat with a touch of Sage , Her retcon was quite empty given the fact she could have easliy provided the only minority role in The New X-Men cast but they make her a useless shy quite type. She could easily replace Shadowcat as a core X-Men with Kitty providing a more prominent role in the Marvel Universe at large . Even though I love this character she will always be unfairly be regulated to being Kitty's understudy.

Unveil (Shareese) with the creation of Krakoa Im hoping this Rainbow Afro Goddess shows up and shows out.

Ultimately X-Men writers usually often go to a set group of X-Men The O5 , Nightcrawler , Wolverine , Shadowcat , Jubilee (Barely) , Rogue , Gambit , Colossus and Storm. Since most minority characters have similair powersets to the above mentioned they almost are never the first choice for example a writer would use Shadowcat before Cipher but would use Cipher if Shadowcat wasn't
    available. A lot of writers are stuck on the classic characters that the new characters are often used as plot devices hell everybody became a plot device for Cyclops/Wolverine/Jean/Emma/Kitty in recent years. The only way I see a new Black Girl taking off sadly/not so sadly is if they attach to a major X-Men like Storm (Not so sad) or Cyclops (Kinda sad).

What are Unveil (Shareese) powers?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    What are Unveil (Shareese) powers?
    EErrrr, she could turn into/control a mist like substance which could have various mental effects on people, reveal memories, connect minds etc and shield people from detection. She also has a cool visual.

Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    EErrrr, she could turn into/control a mist like substance which could have various mental effects on people, reveal memories, connect minds etc and shield people from detection. She also has a cool visual.

Thanks greatly appreciated it

None of them were created and utilized during the golden era of flagship X-men (80s Claremont) or the popular 90s. While it wouldnt have made sense for the character, M would have caught on better had she been a mainstay of Lobdell's X-men run as opposed to Gen X