• D---Below Expectations; Not Enjoying It

10 18.52%
  • F---Garbage; Dropped/Will Drop It

16 29.63%
  • Not Reading It

4 7.41%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Spectacular is a terrible book...I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

BANNED

It reading it

BANNED

very disappointing thus far. juvenile to an extreme. I was hoping for a strong companion book to ASM, as was the original Spectacular. So far, this isn't even close

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    very disappointing thus far. juvenile to an extreme. I was hoping for a strong companion book to ASM, as was the original Spectacular. So far, this isn't even close
    Well, not only do I agree that it is juvenile and overall a disappointment but it really doesn't even serve as a "companion" book the way the original volume did. That volume, before all the nonstop crossovers began, would loosely reference things going on in ASM but had it's own universe. I really the very early days of SSM focused on Peter's life at ESU and that supporting cast and largely left JJJ and the Bugle gang for ASM. I suppose this title is trying to do a bit of that with the intro of Teresa but otherwise the book just has a bizarre almost out-of-continuity feel to it and just isn't very good in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Well, not only do I agree that it is juvenile and overall a disappointment but it really doesn't even serve as a "companion" book the way the original volume did. That volume, before all the nonstop crossovers began, would loosely reference things going on in ASM but had it's own universe. I really the very early days of SSM focused on Peter's life at ESU and that supporting cast and largely left JJJ and the Bugle gang for ASM. I suppose this title is trying to do a bit of that with the intro of Teresa but otherwise the book just has a bizarre almost out-of-continuity feel to it and just isn't very good in any case.
    Honestly this feels less like a satellite or companion piece to ASM and more like a goofy cartoon spinoff .

D. What a let down. Writing is pedestrian and Kubert's art is off. What a shame.

- Jason G. Carr

I'd put it somewhere between average and very good, about a B- (I did vote it as "C" just because I would not describe the book as very good.)

It's mixed.

The art's generally pretty good. It is often entertaining, but there are some excesses, including how dopey Spider-Man is at times, and lengthy recaps.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

C - and i had such high hopes for it too

Oh well

It's kind of interesting to read reactions to this book after the criticism of Spider-Man being too immature in Slott's run. Is this take on Spider-Man pretty much inevitable in the modern era, since part of the point of the character was that he doesn't get respect? It's pretty similar to how Bendis handled him in New Avengers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's kind of interesting to read reactions to this book after the criticism of Spider-Man being too immature in Slott's run. Is this take on Spider-Man pretty much inevitable in the modern era, since part of the point of the character was that he doesn't get respect? It's pretty similar to how Bendis handled him in New Avengers.
    I think it's inevitable with how Marvel has treated the character post-OMD.

I would not hold up Bendis' handling of Spider-Man in New Avengers as an ideal take on the character. In particular I think it's just indicative of why Spidey doesn't work all that well in team settings.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    part of the point of the character was that he doesn't get respect?
    He should change his name to Peter Dangerfield.

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

Not that great, a wasted opportunity.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's inevitable with how Marvel has treated the character post-OMD.

I would not hold up Bendis' handling of Spider-Man in New Avengers as an ideal take on the character. In particular I think it's just indicative of why Spidey doesn't work all that well in team settings.
    I don't think that's true at all. While Bendis only wrote Spider-Man as some annoying comic relief on the Avengers, Hickman wrote him well in FF and Ewing did good with him in Mighty Avengers. Problem isn't the team setting but that some writers just choose to write him shallow and 1 dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don't think that's true at all. While Bendis only wrote Spider-Man as some annoying comic relief on the Avengers, Hickman wrote him well in FF and Ewing did good with him in Mighty Avengers. Problem isn't the team setting but that some writers just choose to write him shallow and 1 dimensional.
    I think he can be written well in a team setting, it's just the vast majority of the time he isn't.