Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Using internet slang as defense doesn't always work.
    I would say it rarely does.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    For every time Azz wrote Diana saying "I love everyone" he shadowed it with her doing something disgusting like killing her mentor. Before anyone says she "had" to kill Ares, no she didn't. If she HAD to kill anyone that day, she should have killed the First Born, not the guy who was like a 2nd father to her. She took the easy way out.

As for Diana's many siblings, she still has them. They just aren't featured in her solo book more than she is any more.
    I wouldn't say she had to kill Ares, but she did do exactly as her teacher would. I would argue its not so simple as saying she just wantonly murdered her second father. The relationship was definitely odd and unorthodox in the first place. And at the very least the intent was a sacrifice for a greater good. If you weren't satisfied with the execution of that or are of the opinion that she would do differently even if she was operating how she was taught, fair enough. I honestly would have to read through the course of events again to get all the details down again, I've forgotten some stuff, but at the time I don't recall seeing any major problems. Maybe that would change upon reflection, but I'd have to re-read it again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-18-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Meredith Finch is by far the worst.

Robert Kanigher also did immense damage to the franchise during an era where comic books were really getting their groove.

James Robinson's is next, bad writing and plotting all around.

I'd definitely include Bruce Timm on the list. It was obvious he didn't get Wonder Woman or her world. Same goes for Brian Azzarello.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Kanigher wasn't that bad. He created Nubia and saved Diana from Mike Sekowsky's awful mod era.
    He was also responsible for stripping many feminist themes from the book, with Diana becoming more like an ideal subservient housewife in the 50's. And let's not forget the string of supervillains who wanted to make her their bride. Blegh.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Kanigher's comics had a nice flavor of whimsy I kind of like, and the artwork is fun. It also helps that he started focusing on the Greek gods as actual mythological figures instead of what Marston did with them living on the planets, which is one thing about Marston I didn't really like. I think there is a line from Kanigher to the revamps of Perez, Rucka and Azzarello for the Gods.

But yes, the 50s housewife stuff is very bad along with downplaying the female characters outside of Diana herself. Etta and the Holliday Girls were greatly reduced before disappearing completely, and her mostly female rogues gallery was left in limbo aside from the very rare appearance by the likes of Cheetah and Giganta. I feel like Kanigher's elements (Mr. Genie, Mer-Boy, Bird Boy, Mr. Monster, the various villains he came up with) would have been fun in ADDITION to Marston's stuff, but they ended up being mostly full blown replacements. And they fall far short.

And then there is Egg-Fu, who has no redeeming value whatsoever.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Robert Kanigher also did immense damage to the franchise during an era where comic books were really getting their groove.

I'd definitely include Bruce Timm on the list. It was obvious he didn't get Wonder Woman or her world. Same goes for Brian Azzarello.
    All picks I'll cosign. Including doubling down on Kanigher. He was not the right person to helm Diana's book. At all.

Kanigher's post-spy 70s stuff wasn't that bad, at least from what I read and on par with the other 70s writers imo.

His first tenure probably the deserves the flak it gets, at least among the issues I read.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-18-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: edited a word

Incredible Member

Meredith Finch. Bless her heart.

Incredible Member

Before anyone says she "had" to kill Ares, no she didn't. If she HAD to kill anyone that day, she should have killed the First Born, not the guy who was like a 2nd father to her. She took the easy way out.
    But wasn't the point that she didn't have the necessary power unless she assumed the Ares' mantle, and that, in that power differential, she couldn't stop First Born from killing Ares and assuming that power instead? I don't think there was an easy way out in the scenario Azz established.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    But wasn't the point that she didn't have the necessary power unless she assumed the Ares' mantle, and that, in that power differential, she couldn't stop First Born from killing Ares and assuming that power instead? I don't think there was an easy way out in the scenario Azz established.

If, and I stress *if* that was the case, it wasn't explicitly stated. I don't think Diana wanted to kill Ares but it came across to me that was the easier choice instead of killing the First Born.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I changed my mind, Samuel R. Delaney is the worst.

Extraordinary Member

In terms of damage to the character, Kanigher and Azzarello stand at the top, with Geoff Johns at third

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Kanigher wasn't that bad. He created Nubia and saved Diana from Mike Sekowsky's awful mod era.
    Saved? His runs make the mod era feel like a high point.

Fantastic Member

My top 10 worst Wonder Woman writers:

1.) Brian Azzarello
    2.) Brian Azzarello
    3.) Brian Azzarello
    4.) Brian Azzarello
    5.) Brian Azzarello
    6.) Brian Azzarello
    7.) Brian Azzarello
    8.) Brian Azzarello
    9.) Brian Azzarello
    10.) Brian Azzarello

The stink he left on Wonder Woman, the Amazons, Orion, and the Greek Gods still lingers to this day. He tarnished these characters in ways that no other creator has. Diana crunching testicles, the Amazons being revealed as man-killing, baby-trading sex pirates, Orion being portrayed as a chauvinist pig, and the Greek Gods all having their own deviant sides were disgusting stains on Wonder Woman's mythos.
    No question Brian Azzarello was the worst WW writer had!! I hated he made WW the god of war and had WW running around with that pig Orion. I dislike Orion even now!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

How do you feel about Robert Kanigher giving Diana a human father and gifted with powers from Aphrodite, Athena, Hercules, and Hermes?

Amazing Member

Greg Rucka