Page 8 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Did you even read issue 2? Miles gave an instruction during the second loop, and Kamala moaned that she was supposed to be the leader.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Yes, all of this! I get sick of seeing writers not named Bendis narrate for Miles as being some half clueless teen hero waiting to take any crap from a PEER! He has more experience than Kamala. Its seems that the writer is just agenda writing instead of just writing Miles as how he has been, competent, clever and very capable. If there were justice he would be leading this group. Hopefully he will be written out of this book and then Kamala can lead the rest of the monkeys left.

This reads to me as a fellow reader who suffered at the hands of Mark Waid’s writing for Miles back in All-New All-Different Avangers and the first volume of Champions. Which I can totally understand, Waid is a great writer and all but when it comes to team books he seems to keep committing the narrative sin of playing favorites, and for him that was Kamala and Sam. I don’t know wether he was doing this conciously or not but when it came to writing Miles, Waid would constantly push him in the comic relief role with no real development or use, which made the character come off as a third wheel.

Fortunately though Jim Zub has plenty of prior experience in writing team books with an ensemble cast so he was a major boon for the series when he took over. All the team members feel more fleshed out and necessary, including Miles. And each get a healthy dose of honest character development as the series continues. And to backtrack a bit if there was one good thing that came from Waid’s run, it’s that he established the new Marvel trinity of Spide-Man, Ms Marvel, and Nova. Now wether this was on purpose or not is another talk altogether.

As for the whole leadership thing I still believe Miles is Kamala’s right Hand for the team and will lead a small squadron of his one from time to time as the Champions roster grows. And while I also think he has the chops to formally lead a team (if Spider-Geddon is anything to go by) he understands that there wouldn’t even be a Champions if it weren’t for Kamala and recognizes her own potential to lead. He’ll step up when the story calls for it like he did in issue #2.

We all now our boy is compentant, clever, and capable, but we must also remember he is still young and one of the poster faces of the new age of Marvel teen heroes. He still got a lot to learn which will lead to great stories of his character becoming more decoloped. Also this keeps him from becoming a “Mary Sue” character which would slowly kill most interest of him as Spider-Man and be a disservice to his own hero’s journey.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    We all now our boy is compentant, clever, and capable, but we must also remember he is still young and one of the poster faces of the new age of Marvel teen heroes. He still got a lot to learn which will lead to great stories of his character becoming more decoloped. Also this keeps him from becoming a “Mary Sue” character which would slowly kill most interest of him as Spider-Man and be a disservice to his own hero’s journey.
    I feel like this is important. I'm willing to give Jim Zub the benefit of the doubt because so far, he's actually been keeping Miles in-correct and hasn't actually used him to "prop up" other characters. Going by how he handled Riri in that Thanos tie-in, I don't actually have any fears that he's going to do Miles dirty here. Much as we want to see great representation of our characters, I think it's still important to remember that is okay to show them as being flawed as well.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

That Summer annual hit Marvel Unlimited and I read it.

Both stories were great!

That's it. That's the post. Carry on.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Issue one has gone into a third printing with a new variant.

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/sta...24429704794114

By pelagidae on twitter

----

Preview for #3 has dropped.

Steve is looking into the missing children on due to a request from a New York congresswoman. He agrees to work with Miles and Rhino after Miles vouches for Rhino.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 02-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Silly Tony, installing apps on Steve's phone which he doesn't even know how to use. Cap actually NEEDS Miles's help.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Silly Tony, installing apps on Steve's phone which he doesn't even know how to use. Cap actually NEEDS Miles's help.
    The body language in how Miles grabs Steve's new phone to help the "old man" with his apps really drives home for me how much of a beast the art and writing is for this series. Javier and Saladin really were great choices for this series. And David Curiel is now on my top tier list of colorist alongside Justin Ponsor and Marcio Menyz.

did steve rogers just say "YOU FROM BROOKLYN?!"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Steve is looking into the missing children on due to a request from a New York congresswoman. He agrees to work with Miles and Rhino after Miles vouches for Rhino.
    That was less awkward then I was expecting in light of Secret Empire.

That Brooklyn gag was pretty nice .

(I thought the joke was that Cap was actually much better with phones then he let Tony know about).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was less awkward then I was expecting in light of Secret Empire.
    I think that has more to do with Miles being a understanding and empathetic character. I like to look at it as him understanding it wasn’t the real Captain America he nearly killed back in Secret Empire, but his evil twin Stevil instead and is just glad that the real Rogers is back in action and willing to help as the hero and fellow son of Brooklyn we know him for being.

So I kind of had a thought, with Saladin seemingly position Tombstone into being the Big Bad of Miles' book, what are the chances that it'll eventually get revealed that Aaron is one of his enforcers, like he was to Kingpin in the movie? I could see him being more Starscream-esque in biding his time to overthrow Tombstone.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So I kind of had a thought, with Saladin seemingly position Tombstone into being the Big Bad of Miles' book, what are the chances that it'll eventually get revealed that Aaron is one of his enforcers, like he was to Kingpin in the movie? I could see him being more Starscream-esque in biding his time to overthrow Tombstone.
    I could see that happening, though with Aaron having somewhat promised Miles he'd turn over a new leaf, or at least keep out of trouble, in the finale of Brian Bendis's run, not sure how Aaron trying to overthrow Tombstone would come off. Backsliding's been known to happen, but I'm thinking Miles would be a little disappointed, to say the least.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I think that has more to do with Miles being a understanding and empathetic character. I like to look at it as him understanding it wasn’t the real Captain America he nearly killed back in Secret Empire, but his evil twin Stevil instead and is just glad that the real Rogers is back in action and willing to help as the hero and fellow son of Brooklyn we know him for being.
    He definitely seems more understanding then some of Cap's closest friends were, but maybe it's that distance that helps.
    I've always thought to myself that back in their criminal days Aaron and Jefferson probably ran with Tombstone.

(I kinda wish more people would remember Tombstone being a Robbie Robertson/Robertson family villain...)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He definitely seems more understanding then some of Cap's closest friends were, but maybe it's that distance that helps.

I've always thought to myself that back in their criminal days Aaron and Jefferson probably ran with Tombstone.

(I kinda wish more people would remember Tombstone being a Robbie Robertson/Robertson family villain...)
    That would be cool. I liked how Tombstone was used in the 90s animated series when his backstory came out, getting revenge on Robbie for leaving him to take the fall for that ice cream store theft when they were children by exploiting Robbie's son Randy's feelings of neglect to get Randy on the path of becoming a criminal like him. That was a great episode, all things considered, and in light of Aunt May restarting FEAST with Randy as of the latest Amazing issue, I'm thinking Tombstone could go after Randy.
    The spider is always on the hunt.