View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 965 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 46586591595596196296396496596696796896997510151065 ... LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,475 of 16971

Can’t help but feel like it’s all chinese whispers at this point. Someone tweets the news, someone reports on it, other outlets report on that outlet that reported it etc etc

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Another website is claiming that Richard Madden is playing the gay character in The Eternals, this time it's gay news site Queerty.
    https://www.queerty.com/marvels-firs...actor-20190806

They flat-out claim; Marvel Studios has ended the suspense and announced both the identity of the first openly gay character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the actor that will play him on screen in The Eternals. However there hasn't been any official confirmation from Marvel yet so I'm shocked that they would post this. This made me think two things: 1.) It's gonna' be real awkward if Madden isn't playing the gay character. And 2.) Is this libel? Like can they be sued for a false statement like this?
    Yeah, that's... weird. They don't mention any sources at all, and I don't see why Queerty of all websites would get this scoop from Marvel before anyone else. The interesting thing about this article, however, is that they include some information about the role we didn't know before. They give a description for Ikaris that I haven't read anywhere else, and they also claim Brian Jordan Alvarez and Wilson Cruz (two openly gay actors) were running for the role, something we hadn't heard before. I'm super skeptical about this, but also wondering why exactly a website that doesn't even focus on superhero news would make up all of this.

I also saw this rumor on Twitter the other day about how Richard Madden was planning to come out in order to promote his role in Eternals, but it sounded so freaking sensationalistic that I didn't actually buy it. At this point it seems like people are really just jumping to the conclusion he's the gay character because he seems to be the closest thing we have to a queer male actor in the cast so far.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-07-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Can’t help but feel like it’s all chinese whispers at this point. Someone tweets the news, someone reports on it, other outlets report on that outlet that reported it etc etc
    Yeah, I have no doubt that some of these "reports" are based on nothing more than the rumours about Richard Madden's sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Yeah, that's... weird. They don't mention any sources at all, and I don't see why Queerty of all websites would get this scoop from Marvel before anyone else. The interesting thing about this article, however, is that they include some information about the role we didn't know before. They give a description for Ikaris that I haven't read anywhere else, and they also claim Brian Jordan Alvarez and Wilson Cruz (two openly gay actors) were running for the role, something we hadn't heard before. I'm super skeptical about this, but also wondering why exactly a website that doesn't even focus on superhero news would make up all of this.

I also saw this rumor on Twitter the other day about how Richard Madden was planning to come out in order to promote his role in Eternals, but it sounded so freaking sensationalistic that I didn't actually buy it. At this point it seems like people are really just jumping to the conclusion he's the gay character because he seems to be the closest thing we have to a queer male actor in the cast so far.
    I did think it was peculiar they mentioned a few other gay actors auditioning for the role when there has never been any info on them being involved in the casting process. I agree that it's probably fake but it's so strange that they would make this up. I think they just got their description of Ikaris from a synopsis of his comic-book character.

As for the rumour about Richard Madden planning to come out to promote The Eternals I've heard that multiple times as well and again I agree with you that it's based mostly on speculation. I've also heard the exact same rumour about Brian Tyree Henry. As I've said before I have no idea what to believe anymore. I never expected the journey to finding out who the first openly gay superhero in the MCU would be such a wild ride.

I've always taken the rumors surrounding the gay character in Eternals with a grain of salt because most of them – all of them? I can't recall – have come from sources outside of the reputable movie trade sites. Deadline, THR, Variety, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've always taken the rumors surrounding the gay character in Eternals with a grain of salt because most of them – all of them? I can't recall – have come from sources outside of the reputable movie trade sites. Deadline, THR, Variety, etc.
    The only things we know for certain is that Marvel was looking for openly gay actors to play their first gay superhero and that Kevin Feige confirmed there will be at least one LGBT character in The Eternals.

I guess my problem with all of them is that I absolutely hate romantic and sexual relationship stories, so the more intense it gets the quicker I'm outta there.
    I still do like and fully support LGBT+ representation, just for me it's enough when they flirt with people. But other than that I'm fine with just hints. Hence why I like Deadpool so much.
    And while I do adore Mystique I don't think I've read enough of the X-Men to have seen statements or hints about her sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I did think it was peculiar they mentioned a few other gay actors auditioning for the role when there has never been any info on them being involved in the casting process. I agree that it's probably fake but it's so strange that they would make this up.
    Just a follow-up: I found out Brian Jordan Alvarez actually did an interview with Queerty in which he confirmed he auditioned for the role in Eternals, so I guess that's how they knew about him. Wilson Cruz tweeted about wanting the role, but I couldn't find any actual information about him actually auditioning for it, so maybe they just assumed based on his tweets. Still not sure where the heck they got all of the rest of this report from, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyfer View Post
    I guess my problem with all of them is that I absolutely hate romantic and sexual relationship stories, so the more intense it gets the quicker I'm outta there.
    I still do like and fully support LGBT+ representation, just for me it's enough when they flirt with people. But other than that I'm fine with just hints. Hence why I like Deadpool so much.
    But Deadpool doesn't just flirt. He does have romantic/sexual stories. His marriage with Shiklah in the comics was a big deal in the last few years, and the movies made a big deal about his relationship with Vanessa. He is only limited when it comes to his same-sex attraction because of double standards, but that doesn't make him a romance/sex-free type of character, because that part of him is still explored through his straight relationships. I mean, if you really hate romantic and sexual stories that much, then you're often going to be more disappointed than not when it comes to the superhero genre, because most superheroes have those type of stories at one point or another.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-08-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Just a follow-up: I found out Brian Jordan Alvarez actually did an interview with Queerty in which he confirmed he auditioned for the role in Eternals, so I guess that's how they knew about him. Wilson Cruz tweeted about wanting the role, but I couldn't find any actual information about him actually auditioning for it, so maybe they just assumed based on his tweets. Still not sure where the heck they got all of the rest of this report from, though.
    Very interesting, thanks for the info. Still they claimed Marvel "announced" who the gay character is and that's just flat-out not true, so I'm still doubtful.

In all honesty though I do hope that Ikaris will be the gay character because out of this already very large cast he's one of the characters who will have a more prominent role. I'm really hoping that the first gay superhero in the MCU doesn't have a small, supporting role.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Agents Of Atlas #1 of 5: Giant-Man (Raz Maholtra) appears in this issue

Black Cat #3

Champions #8 - Viv's subplot is progressing

Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History #6 of 6 - there is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo by Starfox at the end of the series, as the book catches up to the start of the current GOTG series.

Future Foundation #1 - Julie Power and Tong are both part of the cast.

For the wait-for-trade crowd the TPB for the recent GIANT-MAN miniseries has been released, as has the first arc of the current run of CHAMPIONS.

Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The Week In Gay:

Agents Of Atlas #1 of 5: Giant-Man (Raz Maholtra) appears in this issue

Black Cat #3

Champions #8 - Viv's subplot is progressing

Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History #6 of 6 - there is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo by Starfox at the end of the series, as the book catches up to the start of the current GOTG series.

Future Foundation #1 - Julie Power and Tong are both part of the cast.

For the wait-for-trade crowd the TPB for the recent GIANT-MAN miniseries has been released, as has the first arc of the current run of CHAMPIONS.

Did I miss anything?
    Destiny's (and Mystique) show-stopping appearance in House of X #2!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Destiny's (and Mystique) show-stopping appearance in House of X #2!
    Wow. Thanks for that. Hickman seems to be bringing back a lot of dead characters for this run.

I haven't read any X-thing from Hickman yet, but I'm so glad to hear about Destiny coming back. It was about damn time.

I haven't read any X-thing from Hickman yet, but I'm so glad to hear about Destiny coming back. It was about damn time.
    She's not "back" per se. The appearance was very relevant flashback. But given the way the story is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see her emerge in the present.

BANNED

Will this be a younger hotter alternate reality Irene Adler or the old worn out Irene Adler?

In the pride episode of the women of marvel podcast they talked about some great reasons to reveal Mystique as trans. That would be really interesting especially since it looks like marvel studios are looking to cast a trans person soon