Page 570 of 745 FirstFirst ... 70470520560566567568569570571572573574580620670 ... LastLast
Results 8,536 to 8,550 of 11164
    BANNED

Polaris fans, just came across this:

And REALLY took note of the quote part:
    Sometimes I get so far into my head, that I forget anything else eXists.
    IDK, just found it very... revealing, I guess. THIS, and these types of things, are the reason I LOVE Lorna Dane SO MUCH! And find her such a FASCINATINGly compleX character study, who seems to strike a chord deep within me. My question to all of you is, do you think it applies? I mean, what are your thoughts & feelings on it? Personally, I LOVE it, and think it does indeed succinctly sum up much about who she is & why I find her SO intriguing...

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 01-10-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Attachment 60556

My work in progress based on Kris Anka's design.
    Cool! interesting to see final result

What kind of new costume you would like to see for Polaris?

I hope it will be something really new for her. I hope from old costume will be left only headpiece.

I think costume must not be green. Maybe only some green stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

I hope it will be something really new for her. I hope from old costume will be left only headpiece.

Depends on her role and if it looks like she will be in it for awhile. Lets say for instance is it something political and edgy again it sort of matters between a Lorna the rebel look if we are talking about in which case second Genoshan outfit or some variation was pretty damn good.

Something similar to her Reload costume only more regal would work for more high political intrigue.

Though I always though it was quite stupid to bring back the head gear and then establish it doesn't protect against telepaths rendering it functionally useless. The headgear is iconic enough so that the actress of The Gifted wants it, but this is hard for me to say, but if they give her a political role and don't provide anything she wears on her head any actual functionality like Magneto's helmet has in dealing with telepaths they are better off not including it.

Last edited by jmc247; 01-10-2018 at 01:10 PM.

I'm okay with a tiara for looks. But I agree, it depends on her role. I'm open to a complete overhaul as I have been done with the space era costume for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    I'm okay with a tiara for looks. But I agree, it depends on her role. I'm open to a complete overhaul as I have been done with the space era costume for years.
    If its many things its important to have a judicious mix as in potentially crossing things like regal and warrior.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-10-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Attachment 60556

My work in progress based on Kris Anka's design.
    Nice work! It also kinda answers what I quote next.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

If she's going to get a new costume, Anka's concept is the best I've seen.

I understand why people want "not green" or "no cape" or things like that. They want to see radical change in costumes designs regularly, and they don't like an excessive overemphasis on a specific color. I've pointed out before that she could use a secondary color. You look at Emma Frost as White Queen and she still has blonde hair and (sometimes) blue lipstick. You look at Scarlet Witch, she has brown hair. So they have one additional color to go with their look, and their codenames are specifically about colors, so what does that say for Lorna whose hair and costume are all the same color?

There are a couple problems as I see it though. Most important is recognizability. Casual fans aren't going to know Lorna with a radically different costume is Lorna. They'll mistake her for Agent Brand, or Enchantress, or many others. In the opposite direction, I've seen people repeatedly mistake Enchantress for Lorna, Aphrodite IX for Lorna, a random Dungeons & Dragons mage for Lorna, etc. She's known for that look. I can say this by personal experience, too. When I first discovered Lorna, I went out to a comic book store and bought only the things I saw had Lorna on the covers - which meant her iconic costume. If the shop had anything else, like Civil War: House of M, I skipped it completely on my first run. I only came to discover other stuff she was in from finding places like here where people told me what stuff was out there that didn't have her in her iconic outfit.

The other problem is identity. With how much it's been used, and being somewhat based on her original look, her current iconic look has come to be representative of her - in the same way as so much of Superman and Wonder Woman's costumes. Even as high-profile featured characters, their costumes always revert back to a base style with base features. Like in the recognizability bit above, Lorna is known for her look to a point where people mistake other characters for being her. You ditch that, you're ditching her visual identity for the sake of a personally aesthetically pleasing change.

Anka's concept works well because it maintains her identity and recognizability, it adds more of her identity (a warrior vibe and gun metal suggestive of her powers), while modernizing the look in a way that can be seen as forward and progressive. For those reasons, it's really the only suggestion for change I've seen that I can really support. Anything else so far sounds like Lorna would be losing far more in the deal than she would ever gain. It might look really cool and please people with certain tastes or interested in certain eras, but unless she's the focal star of a Marvel-wide event and leads a heavily promoted book, it'll hurt her.

This is why I was fine with Lorna's look on Gifted, and why I begrudgingly went along with her look on All-New X-Factor. Also to bear in mind, the "Harley Quinn" DC comics has pushed out there since their reboot, throwing away her entire theme and point of her codename for a 'sexy clown' look (and sometimes not even that), is the key reason I haven't touched anything DC ever since. With the sole exception of the Wonder Woman film, because I wanted to be supportive of female-led superhero films and this one sounded like it actually did things right for once (and in fact did).

That's my view on costumes.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I hear you, salarta. I'm just hoping I don't hate it like I did when the purple X-Factor costume happened. That was just disgusting.

Bunn: You're gonna see so much Polaris in issues 22 - 28, your eyes are gonna bleed green.
    https://twitter.com/cullenbunn/statu...76564351348736

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

That's the start of the Malice/Cry Havok arc, so although he'll be putting a lot of focus on Lorna, I'm not sold on the direction of the story. I'm still hoping that he'll prove me wrong, but even being promised a heavy focus on Lorna doesn't do much to sway me, especially with her being possessed for some of those issues.

Thank you, Bunn. I can't wait for my eyes to bleed every shade of green when you close the chapter on Havolaris once and for all.

art by Mario Chavez

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    Thank you, Bunn. I can't wait for my eyes to bleed every shade of green when you close the chapter on Havolaris once and for all.
    This is the comicverse, no relationship that rose to that level for the characters involved will ever be closed...after all look how long say Kitty and Colossus were apart...and now, regardless of how you view what's going on with them...

BANNED

Thank you, Luckystar., for bringin' this over. I'm eXcited, no doubt, but with a range of miXed emotions. I'm tryin' real hard to believe in Bunn, 'cause I know what he's capable of in regards to her (SW:HoM & DP&tM4$, come to mind), but at the same time... Malice & repossession... Havok, and whatever... I'm worried. I know he's promised real BIG, possibly status quo changing things, and that he'd leave her (?) in a real good & interesting place with his planned developments for her, that her fans would be VERY happy with. And I've thought of some ways how it could all turn into a pretty positive turn of events, with her emerging better than ever before, as in stronger, more determined, & more self-assured... with a clear set of goals, and motivation to reach them. Having this spur her--and Mags?!--into say, wanting to rebuild Genosha or another, aptly named Mutant sanctuary, would be the DREAM of all dreams for her character. Something of that nature, has always been what I wanted, anyway. Not opposed to her leading a team, or being on a main X one w/some real cool others either, of course.

BANNED

The Anka redesign's not bad, and there's some cool things to like. BUT, when it comes to the addition of actual metal elements, an idea I'm REALLY fond of BTW...

... I'd MUCH prefer the sleek & SHINY, liquid look of the real deal - SILVER! Just like in Wada's GORGEOUS piece above.

The iron seems too clunky & awkward lookin', and kinda masculine honestly (1st pic, esp.), IMO. I really like the design he did with it at the top of her boots tho, and the clip or whatever he added just under her neck, in the 2nd pic.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 01-10-2018 at 06:44 PM.