Page 92 of 439 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Comics are the only industry I know of where customers brag about being old and think that makes them desirable.
    Are you referring to the comic book industry? If so, I'm not sure what you're point is.
    If you're referring to comedians, then I'm even less sure.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Are you referring to the comic book industry? If so, I'm not sure what you're point is.
    If you're referring to comedians, then I'm even less sure.
    I think Trey was talking about comic book fans. I'm sure he's referring to the fact that many folks refer to themselves as long term fans when they are complaining about some "new" thing the big 2 are doing to try to get new readers.

He's not 100% percent wrong. The mainstream comic industry can't survive ( at least not in it's current form) by catering only to a rapidly aging and rapidly shrinking audience of middle aged people.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Being a scumbag doesn't mean he wasn't funny. He was a very skilled comedian. His awfulness as a human doesn't change or lessen that fact.
    Back in the day my mom would buy comedy albums of the TV stars like Flip Wilson and Bill Cosby. She innocently bought a Redd Foxx album. That one didn't stay in the house long.
    (Those of you that have heard his stand up act know what I mean)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Back in the day my mom would buy comedy albums of the TV stars like Flip Wilson and Bill Cosby. She innocently bought a Redd Foxx album. That one didn't stay in the house long.
    (Those of you that have heard his stand up act know what I mean)
    Yep. My friend had one of Redd's albums back in the '70s and kind of blew my pre-teen mind.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. My friend had one of Redd's albums back in the '70s and kind of blew my pre-teen mind.
    I was the same way with Richard Pryor albums.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Black comedians don't have the market cornered on using profanity in their acts.
    Yeah.

I think Ricky Gervais, Mike Carling, Greg Davies, Jack Whitehall, Jimmy Carr etc would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I was the same way with Richard Pryor albums.
    Pryor was the king of stand-up albums, IMO.

Just one of those complexities of humans. While Cosby is a scumbag rapist, he also was one of the most generous and charitable people in comedy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.

Pryor's "Mudbone" routine was an absolute riot. Yeah, he was the boss back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.
    I remember listening to them for the first time on my school bus not that long after Up in Smoke came out (I would have been in 7th grade then). Yeah, it was pretty daring, but it didn't have a tenth of the substance of a Pryor album, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just one of those complexities of humans. While Cosby is a scumbag rapist, he also was one of the most generous and charitable people in comedy.
    One of the funniest, too. In fact, I would rank his albums as almost as great as Pryor's, even though they seemed so innocuous in comparison. IIRC, I think I first saw him on The Flip Wilson Show circa 1970 (I believe reruns of I Spy came out a little later).

Doesn't excuse his other stuff, of course.

One of the funniest, too. In fact, I would rank his albums as almost as great as Pryor's, even though they seemed so innocuous in comparison. IIRC, I think I first saw him on The Flip Wilson Show circa 1970 (I believe reruns of I Spy came out a little later).

No, it doesn't. He was a favorite of mine in my childhood, I loved his albums, my brother and I listened to them over and over. Particularly "Wonderfulness" and "To My Brother Russell, Whom I Slept With".
    I Spy was also a favorite show.
    I doubt I could listen to him and laugh now.

But that's the Art vs Artist thing, "Chinatown" is still a great film, even though Polanski is a rapist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But that's the Art vs Artist thing, "Chinatown" is still a great film, even though Polanski is a rapist.
    Same with me when it comes to House of Cards. I still enjoy that show, even though Kevin Spacey is a predator scumbag.

No, I Spy came out in 1965, The Flip Wilson Show wasn't until 1970. I Spy was rather daring for its time, casting a black actor as a lead in a serious drama and having him as the equal of the white lead,
    not just as a sidekick, chauffeur, butler or otherwise subservient. Before black men were mostly just supporting characters, usually servants.