Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Possibly but I think he has a creator own project in the pipeline so he probably won't have the bandwidth.

Extraordinary Member

Bleeding Cool: Frank Cho Walks Off Wonder Woman After Sixth Cover
    Frank Cho, as well as many other A-list comic book artists, was commissioned by DC Comics to create 24 variant covers for the first year of their twice-monthly titles. In Frank’s case, that was for Wonder Woman.

Infamous in the online for his “outrage” sketch covers, both parodying sexism and criticism of sexism, this was a controversial choice, with many expressing their disappointment. But as the first covers emerged, that disappointment went away.

But possibly not with Wonder Woman writer, Greg Rucka. And, as a result, Frank Cho is walking off the title after its sixth issue – and variant cover.

He tells Bleeding Cool,

All the problem lies with Greg Rucka.

EVERYONE loves my Wonder Woman covers and wants me to stay. Greg Rucka is the ONLY one who has any problem with covers. Greg Rucka has been trying to alter and censor my artwork since day one.

Greg Rucka thought my Wonder Woman #3 cover was vulgar and showed too much skin, and has been spearheading censorship, which is baffling since my Wonder Woman image is on model and shows the same amount of skin as the interior art, and it’s a VARIANT COVER and he should have no editorial control over it. (But he does. WTF?!!!)

I tried to play nice, not rock the boat and do my best on the covers, but Greg’s weird political agenda against me and my art has made that job impossible. Wonder Woman was the ONLY reason I came over to DC Comics.

To DC’s credit, especially [Art Director] Mark Chiarello, they have been very accommodating. But they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I just wanted to be left alone and do my Wonder Woman variant covers in peace. But Greg Rucka is in a hostile power trip and causing unnecessary friction over variant covers.

Greg Rucka declined to comment.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Of course Cho would put the blame on Rucka. Lord forbid Cho acknowledge he might be the problem himself with his own attitude.

Of course the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. My guess is Cho & Rucka simply don't have personalities that are compatible with one another.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Man, I'm loving Cho's covers...
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Of course Cho would put the blame on Rucka. Lord forbid Cho acknowledge he might be the problem himself with his own attitude.

Of course the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. My guess is Cho & Rucka simply don't have personalities that are compatible with one another.
    Cho's variant of #3 showed WW underwear I can definitely see why Ruck would have a problem with that & don't blame him for wanting it censored.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I wonder why Rucka has any say in the comic's variant covers?

BANNED

Man, so disappointed in Greg Rucka. This sort of censorship is downright awful and just unprofessional.

Most surprising thing here is that some people are honestly supporting Rucka here and are okay with censoring variant covers. Whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Most surprising thing here is that some people are honestly supporting Rucka here and are okay with censoring variant covers. Whats next?
    It's his book. This isn't commissioned art DC are selling separately it's art that is going to be slapped on his book and if he has a problem then there is absolutely no reason he can't request for it be changed or altered.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I think its this, but oddly enough (for me) I'm kind of siding with Cho on this. The covers are powerful, and any "peeks" shown aren't anything that wouldn't already be shown in her pre52 costume. It'd be one thing if it had a cheesecake look to it, but I don't think that is the case here.

Also, while generally I'm not sure how I feel about writers having this much of a say on variants, it wouldn't surprise me if full reign was the requirement to get Rucka on in the first place, so either way its worth it.

BANNED

What really annoys me is the double standards Rucks ia having.

How is this okay:

But this not?:

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    It's his book.
    Well no, it's DC's book.

Not really the same. Those happened interior completely different. Would a nude WW be appropriate for a cover? No.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Rucka isn't censoring anything.

i'm with Rucka, how fun now is mock SJWs? not much. I don't think he should do covers for feminist character wonder woman.

Amazing Member

Before I grab my pitchfork and torch I think I'll wait to see what Rucka's side of the story is.

BANNED

I'm actually considering dropping the book over this. Frank's covers were no more vulgar or sexualized than the interior art or other covers. One if Nicola Scott's covers barely avoids an upskirt shot, and Greg made it his Twiter avatar. And that scene with Steve in his underwear, total hypocrisy. Greg has some kind of a personal grudge against Frank Cho, thats pretty much certain. And I'm pretty disappointed with the people celebrating Greg driving Frank off the book. It seems a bit entitled, like just because a certain demographic doesn't like something means it shouldn't be made available for others.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 07-14-2016 at 09:48 AM.