Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Which is part of Blade's continuity being a mess. Blade originally only had one power: immunity to vampire bites. He wasn't immortal. Him getting other powers was specifically a recent power-up. So how is he 80 years old?
    It's not really a mess. They made that one retcon. Instead of Deacon Frost's bite just making him immune, it made him a Dhampir so it allowed them to explain how he could be active as long as he has been. With other heroes they continue to do soft retcons. I think they've changed which war the Punisher is a veteran of, for instance.

Extraordinary Member

Plus you have Morbius's bite.

Heck, this issue doesn't even contradict Morbius's bite changing Blade because for all we know, the Shadow Colonel doesn't know about it and just assumes some of Blade's origin. Blade isn't going to go around telling everyone Morbius turned him and Morbius probably isn't going to make a huge deal out of it.

Mighty Member

I think they've moved away from the Morbius bite though right? Haven't heard it mentioned as significant in almost 20 years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I think they've moved away from the Morbius bite though right? Haven't heard it mentioned as significant in almost 20 years.
    The writers can do as they wish but headcanon counts too. Plus, it's there and it happened and Blade was changed as a result.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    The writers can do as they wish but headcanon counts too. Plus, it's there and it happened and Blade was changed as a result.
    I moreso mean in writers recounting his origin, everyone's pretty much stuck to the "blade's powers are all from deacon frost". People hate the Guggenheim series, but a lot of things have stuck from that series, the new origin being one of them.

Also, I'm interested in the next issue. I'm pretty sure some of the Avengers are going to be peeved at how quickly Blade lost his temper when they were relying on him.

I moreso mean in writers recounting his origin, everyone's pretty much stuck to the "blade's powers are all from deacon frost". People hate the Guggenheim series, but a lot of things have stuck from that series, the new origin being one of them.

Also, I'm interested in the next issue. I'm pretty sure some of the Avengers are going to be peeved at how quickly Blade lost his temper when they were relying on him.
    The Avengers would almost have no one to blame but themselves for putting him in that position though. You have a vampire hunter interrogating a vampire... they should be more surprised that Blade hasn't tried to kill him yet. It's like having the Punisher interrogate prisoners... you should just assume it won't go well.

I think the Avengers (Blade included) should be angry with themselves for not keeping a better eye on that dog. Just look at that thing. It might as well be Mephisto's love child. How can you have that thing in your home and not have it under survailence 24/7. That's sloppy.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, they do stick pretty close to that. But I'll always have my headcanon!

I loved this issue, but Blade got mad way, way too quick. Of course, him getting mad has nothing to do with Sarge the Vampire Dog, but still.

The first issue of the Blade 2006 series we are given some inner monologue from Blade saying the Morbius bite didn't change him he was always this way essentially.

We can argue the prior stories and showings if we want because they all still happened, but basically from the mid 2000s Marvel has seemingly adapted the most popular version of the character to the comics. They tried some other things like giving him tattoos on his head and a robotic arm/gun arm but all that stuff has largely been ignored.

Bendis, Al Ewing and a few others supposedly pushed for people to start writing the iconic Blade and that appears to be the version they are going with even in other mediums.

These days Blade is a dhampir. Given how he's aging better than even Wolverine I think you can safely assume he's got the usual vampire lifespan. General vamp like stats, senses and healing. Some writers make it a little messy. Remember when he turned into a bat int hat one Avengers book a few years back? Most people ignore that. I thought Al Ewing did some interesting things with Blade in the Mighty Avengers book. He wasn't just a vampire hunter he fought all kinds of beasties, and could even sense supernatural threats.

He was just your supernatural expert that was able to advise Poweman 2.0 and White Tiger on how to channel their power and drive back Shuma Gorath.

I think that is the way Blade should be portrayed no OP abilities, just vampire stats (speed, strength, agility, senses & healing). You can give him some subtle abilities like hypnosis (don't go overboard with it) and his sixth sense for other supernatural beings or phenomenon.
    Last edited by Jabare; 02-08-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

It's not that I think Blade needs other abilities, I just want some consistency for what it means to be a marvel in vampire. If his tagline is true "all of the strengths, none of the weaknesses" then he should be able to do the other stuff and it should be explained why he can't. I'm also not sure Marvel has agreed on his abilities. Because an editor had to clear Bendis allowing Blade to turn into a bat (which he also referenced being able to do in the Deadpool: Gauntlet comic).

If they want to make the abilities age-related (older vampires are stronger) that might make more sense, but then they gave Jubilee basically every single vampire ability after being a vampire for a few months.

As we've seen in the recent Avengers comic, virtually every vampire seems to have the ability to shape shift, so it wouldn't make much sense if Blade couldn't (and maybe why they allowed him to in that random issue).

Yeah, they do stick pretty close to that. But I'll always have my headcanon!

I loved this issue, but Blade got mad way, way too quick. Of course, him getting mad has nothing to do with Sarge the Vampire Dog, but still.
    That's true. It reminded me of Captain Britain and MI:13 when Blade had that argument with Union Jack. Blade was fine initially, but as soon as Union Jack started hurling insults, he threw him against the wall.

"all their strengths and none of their weaknesses" is just a tag line. He has the basic strengths and isn't susceptible to their main weaknesses. Thats just a cool tag line, like Man without Fear, Most Dangerous Man Alive. Strongest One There Is. They sound cool but there are always exceptions to those phrases, just like in life. Even in the movies he didn't have all their strengths he aged like normal a human did.

Is Jubilee still a vampire? I don't read X-men and to be honest I often consider those books a separate universe and continuity. I'd rather just ignore Jubilee than have it impact Blade.

I don't think all vampires should be the same either. Different sects, species some with different traits.

Blade right now has a pretty perfect paradigm. Subtle hypnosis and a sixth sense is as far as I'm willing to go. If you want to give him a magic sword or weapon for a story arch to defeat some big bad fine. No shapeshifting that opens a can of worms that other writers will mess up.

Outside of the bat transformation I'd say Blade has been pretty consistent over the last 13 years. Heck you could even question if that was really Blade & Doctor Strange etc. the way Mojo works. Did Bendis write that comic? I thought that was the Hickman Uncanny Avengers book.

I think Blade is in a good place right now, my only gripe is some writers don't portray him as superhuman (for example that crappy Falcon #7). And I wouldn't mind if he instilled a little more fear in the vampire community. He's killed thousands of vampires at this point including Dracula
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    "all their strengths and none of their weaknesses" is just a tag line. He has the basic strengths and isn't susceptible to their main weaknesses. Thats just a cool tag line, like Man without Fear, Most Dangerous Man Alive. Strongest One There Is. They sound cool but there are always exceptions to those phrases, just like in life. Even in the movies he didn't have all their strengths he aged like normal a human did.

Is Jubilee still a vampire? I don't read X-men and to be honest I often consider those books a separate universe and continuity. I'd rather just ignore Jubilee than have it impact Blade.

I don't think all vampires should be the same either. Different sects, species some with different traits.

Blade right now has a pretty perfect paradigm. Subtle hypnosis and a sixth sense is as far as I'm willing to go. If you want to give him a magic sword or weapon for a story arch to defeat some big bad fine. No shapeshifting that opens a can of worms that other writers will mess up.

Outside of the bat transformation I'd say Blade has been pretty consistent over the last 13 years. Heck you could even question if that was really Blade & Doctor Strange etc. the way Mojo works. Did Bendis write that comic? I thought that was the Hickman Uncanny Avengers book.

I think Blade is in a good place right now, my only gripe is some writers don't portray him as superhuman (for example that crappy Falcon #7). And I wouldn't mind if he instilled a little more fear in the vampire community. He's killed thousands of vampires at this point including Dracula
    That's all fine in theory, my main point is that Marvel hasn't clarified any of that. So the Ultimate version of Blade can heal bullet wounds to the head and hypnotize enemies, whereas the 616 version sometimes can barely handle bullets and has no mention of such an ability, and in other stories can heal having his intestines pouring out of his body and can transform into a bat.

Like I think too many writers lean on the tagline which is ambiguous and it leads to some pretty inconsistent representations. If Blade was turned by Deacon Frost then would his vampirism technically match Frost's? And Frost has demonstrated a variety of abilities.

I think the inconsistency is because vampires in marvel haven't really been given "hard rules". They do whatever the writers need them to do. So I don't disagree with you persay, I'd just want all of that clarified. Especially when Seeley was set to writer a story in which Blade's daughter (who apparently inherits his powers as a Daywalker) possessed every known vampiric ability. I just don't understand the logic of it.

Extraordinary Member

I think they did try and clarify vampires in that X-Men series, but then a lot of writers sort of do their own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

The lack of fear vamps had for Blade sort of came to the forefront in the recent Avengers. The vamps were apparently more scared of the Shadow Colonel than Blade and the Avengers, when Blade was slaughtering them left and right. Maybe they know something about the Shadown Colonel that we don't, but dead is dead as far as I can tell. You'd think they'd be just as scared of Blade if not moreso.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The lack of fear vamps had for Blade sort of came to the forefront in the recent Avengers. The vamps were apparently more scared of the Shadow Colonel than Blade and the Avengers, when Blade was slaughtering them left and right. Maybe they know something about the Shadown Colonel that we don't, but dead is dead as far as I can tell. You'd think they'd be just as scared of Blade if not moreso.
    Blade has sort of gone soft in recent years. If you're a vampire who can convince him that you are harmless, there's a good chance he'll let you go.

But you're right, what could this Shadow Colonel want? They didn't even kill the vampires. So...what's the plan here?

Blade has sort of gone soft in recent years. If you're a vampire who can convince him that you are harmless, there's a good chance he'll let you go.

But you're right, what could this Shadow Colonel want? They didn't even kill the vampires. So...what's the plan here?
    Well, he was buddies with Frank Drake back in the day. And he dated Spitfire, who was SORT OF a vamp but not really. So I guess he has reason to sort of go soft. Sort of.

As far as the Shadow Colonel.... all he seems to be doing is going after Dracula. On paper that's almost a good thing. Whatever he's doing with the Avengers right now is probably the first actual villainous thing we're seeing from him. I'll be interesting to see just how bad this guy is. The vamps seem pretty scared.