Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default List of villains brainwashed by Zatanna

I'm trying to make a list of villains brainwashed into at least some sort of reformation by Zatanna. Particularly those retconned in the sense that we saw them improve, but they were later said to have been brainwashed into doing so.

I wasn't reading comics at the time, so please share your opinions on how you felt about any particular villain and their turn to the good/less evil and how it was developed (or not, as is sometimes the case when they suddenly decide a character will turn good/evil) and how you felt about the retcon.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

In the JLA story arc "Crisis of Conscience" it was possibly hinted at that Zatanna brainwashed Catwoman into becoming more of an anti hero like she was from 90s onward in contrast to her earlier appearances where she was more of a femme fatale villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In the JLA story arc "Crisis of Conscience" it was possibly hinted at that Zatanna brainwashed Catwoman into becoming more of an anti hero like she was from 90s onward in contrast to her earlier appearances where she was more of a femme fatale villain.
    I actually did know that one - though I thought it might have been partially refuted later. It's kinda weird, since Selina was kinda heroic (at least not villainous) sometimes in bronze-age of pre-COIE. But in early COIE, she was tossing seemingly innocent security guards out of windows (though that got taken out of continuity, too). And was more blood thirsty in general. Which I didn't like, but it certainly happened. Sadly, she's too often switched back and forth with no explanation. This was an explanation, I guess, but not a good one.

I heard something about Flash villains, but wasn't sure which ones?

Extraordinary Member

From the story in Justice League of America #166-168, five villains swapped bodies with members. She brainwashed them so that they wouldn't remember their secret identities. Those villains were:

Wizard
    Floronic Man/Plant Master
    Blockbuster
    Professor Zoom
    Star Sapphire

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I actually did know that one - though I thought it might have been partially refuted later. It's kinda weird, since Selina was kinda heroic (at least not villainous) sometimes in bronze-age of pre-COIE. But in early COIE, she was tossing seemingly innocent security guards out of windows (though that got taken out of continuity, too). And was more blood thirsty in general. Which I didn't like, but it certainly happened. Sadly, she's too often switched back and forth with no explanation. This was an explanation, I guess, but not a good one.
    They brainwashed Selina because they brainwashed Bruce.

Bruce's attraction to Catwoman made Selina a greater threat to a mind-addled Batman.

Basically, Zatanna brainwashed Catwoman to prep Selina for Bruce's bed.

Disgusting.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    They brainwashed Selina because they brainwashed Bruce.

Bruce's attraction to Catwoman made Selina a greater threat to a mind-addled Batman.

Basically, Zatanna brainwashed Catwoman to prep Selina for Bruce's bed.

Disgusting.
    No offence but are you sure of that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall Batman walked in on Zatanna and co. mind-wiping a villain, he got mad and attacked them so she wiped his mind to cover their tracks. This would mean he lost what, two minutes of memory at most? Would he really be left mind-addled from losing just two minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone
    Plus there's the "Injustice" computer game where Selina aids Luthor in a plan to blow up Metropolis and kill millions of people.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 07-06-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Plus there's the "Injustice" computer game where Selina aids Luthor in a plan to blow up Metropolis and kill millions of people.
    Well, that's creepy. But a different continuity. Actually, Batman '66 Catwoman was more murderous than her comic book counter part had usually been before.

Anyway, I did find a reference on Flash villains. I have not read the issue, but the wiki cites Flash #215 for brainwashing Top. But that's done after the fact (I think - haven't read), not an already-redeemed-turning-out-to-have-been-brainwashed, as I was thinking. I guess he brainwashed the others?

Incredible Member

Well, that's creepy. But a different continuity.
    That's true.

Actually, Batman '66 Catwoman was more murderous than her comic book counter part had usually been before.
    Also true and pretty ironic given that show's tone.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I don't think she knew they were going to be blowing up Metropolis. She seemed surprised when the alert came in.

I think Luthor just paid her to attack the Watchtower and keep the League distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    No offence but are you sure of that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall Batman walked in on Zatanna and co. mind-wiping a villain, he got mad and attacked them so she wiped his mind to cover their tracks. This would mean he lost what, two minutes of memory at most? Would he really be left mind-addled from losing just two minutes?

Actually, it's implied she didn't know Luthor's plan to nuke Metropolis. She's as surprised as the heroes are when the alarm goes off to indicate what the Joker is about to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually, it's implied she didn't know Luthor's plan to nuke Metropolis. She's as surprised as the heroes are when the alarm goes off to indicate what the Joker is about to do.
    I forget if the tie-in comic made it more clear the villains working with Lex weren't aware of what the full plan was, but I feel like it did.

HSAWNIARB!!

Man, that's one seriously disturbing use of her powers.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

She wiped pretty much ALL the Rogues.
    Glider
    Piper
    Cold
    Trickster
    Heatwave

Then of course, there was Dr Light.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Without re-reading, my sense was that Batman was concerned that Zatanna might have brainwashed Catwoman. Was it ever confirmed that she actually did?

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    She wiped pretty much ALL the Rogues.
    Glider
    Piper
    Cold
    Trickster
    Heatwave

Then of course, there was Dr Light.
    Now I'm trying to figure out what their pre-retcon (anytime from 1980-2000) status quos were and how much reason or development given to why they reformed? Was it done just to get rid of supposedly campy silver age villains? So forth and so on? Did readers of the time buy their reforms.

I feel like some of them, even in their silver age selves, were not as "harmless" as they are sometimes made out to be, and there's a little bit more of poking fun at CCA than actual character-based personality there. Not always, but sometimes. I get why - Flash, after a brief interlude with the bronze age, stayed silver age in feel much longer than others. But none of his villains feel particularly harmless or noble in reading old works to me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-08-2019 at 04:00 AM.