Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    That happened at the same time. There’s a correlation.
    I think comics and other media are on opposite sides a the spectrum. Comic readers weren't and aren't going to change their reading patterns based on more books being published or more media being put out.

Comicboom readers are too tribal to consider that.
    As for media, they should've added the X-Men and the Fantastic Four to everything, but at the same time, no one said anything when there were only X-Men movies, cartoons and video games. Mostly because the Avengers weren't given a chance. Now that they have been given a chance we see that they are well liked, and possibly more than the X-Men despite their decades as the face of Marvel, not Iron Man, Black Panther, etc.

It's not a competition, nor one brands territory. There's room for everyone and a likelyhood to being the most important property for years to come.

I don’t think the Avengers are more liked than the X-Men. It’s more like the MCU Avengers are more liked than the FoX-Men, which isn’t a surprise. The latter are made by people who hate comics. The X-Men have historically been a stronger brand than the Avengers, and when they join the MCU I expect a lot of good things to come.

That happened at the same time. There’s a correlation.
    It actually didn't. The entire Avengers push goes back to the launch of New Avengers, and they were still actively promoting the X-Men in stuff. There was an X-Men TV show in 2009, still merchandise in stores, and video games on shelves. The attempt to downplay and get rid of the X-Men was a far more recent development.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I’d say he was pretty interested, considering he wrote around 80 issues of them.
    To be fair, not only was it a job, but Hickman’s Avengers is a stealth sequel to his run on Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It actually didn't. The entire Avengers push goes back to the launch of New Avengers, and they were still actively promoting the X-Men in stuff. There was an X-Men TV show in 2009, still merchandise in stores, and video games on shelves. The attempt to downplay and get rid of the X-Men was a far more recent development.
    I’m aware and I even pointed it out myself. However they went all-in on Avengers when the MCU took off, while giving the X-Men the finger over film rights. Look at how they tried to get rid of the X-Men, yet the moment Disney bought Fox, they suddenly welcomed them back in open arms like they never disowned them. Funny, isn’t it?

I don’t think the Avengers are more liked than the X-Men. It’s more like the MCU Avengers are more liked than the FoX-Men, which isn’t a surprise. The latter are made by people who hate comics. The X-Men have historically been a stronger brand than the Avengers, and when they join the MCU I expect a lot of good things to come.
    I think the word "historically" is key. Things change, the X-Men reached their peak popularity in the 90s/00s then it shifted to the Avengers. For over 10 years now the Avengers are Marvel's most popular franchise, that may change. Things like this always change with the times. Who knows which team and characters will get their time to shine in the 2020's.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I’m aware and I even pointed it out myself. However they went all-in on Avengers when the MCU took off, while giving the X-Men the finger over film rights. Look at how they tried to get rid of the X-Men, yet the moment Disney bought Fox, they suddenly welcomed them back in open arms like they never disowned them. Funny, isn’t it?
    Er, yes? I literally said the downplaying of the X-Men was over movie rights. That's the entire point. The push to make the Avengers a more prominent part of the universe was a completely unrelated event that began long before the X-Men were shuffled offstage over movie stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I’d say he was pretty interested, considering he wrote around 80 issues of them.
    But one of those books was an Avengers book in name only (New Avengers, the Illuminati). And even the main Avengers book really had nothing to do with the team and its history. Hickman deliberately avoided Avengers villains, historical references, etc.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a good run (I don't think it was, but so what?), just that it basically treated the Avengers as a blank slate, whereas Hickman's FF and X-Men runs are grounded in the franchise's history and supporting casts.

Because the Avengers started out as an all-star team and then turned into a book about Captain America leading a team of B-list ex-villains, it has that flexibility: depending on what the writer wants it can be more of a grab-bag of Marvel Universe characters, or a book about a team with its own core characters, tropes, etc. I prefer the latter approach and am still waiting for them to try it again, but again, that's just my preference.
    Last edited by gurkle; 09-15-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I think the word "historically" is key. Things change, the X-Men reached their peak popularity in the 90s/00s then it shifted to the Avengers. For over 10 years now the Avengers are Marvel's most popular franchise, that may change. Things like this always change with the times. Who knows which team and characters will get their time to shine in the 2020's.
    And let's not forget the time they were all but cancelled, spending five years as just reprints.
    If not for the arrival of Giant-Size X-Men #1, it would've been cancelled completely when Marvel began shaving off the reprint titles.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I think the X-Men fit a nostalgia niche that remains from their 90's push and the films. A huge part of readers are in their 30's and were a part the cartoon and action figure craze. Even today's writers were a part of that.

Just because people on a forum complain about the FoX-Men doesn't mean that people didn't pay to see Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix because they are fans of the X-Men and enjoyed them. I guarantee that there are people who've thought that the X-Men were already a part of the MCU and won't tell the difference once Disney Studios makes their films.

That's impossible, Avengers is Marvels premiere team
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8