Page 9 of 145 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    I also say mutant. It looks like mutants from biblical times were separated into categories (demons, angels, etc.) maybe because there was less mutant variation back then? And if this group have reproduced with each other long enough, then can we assume that they don't really have a "race" that's constructed by us in the real world? Therefore, Kurt is technically ethnically diverse? Idk.
    But then Azzy could apparently pop in and out to bestow his seed upon the world at intervals because reasons? Did he ever bring any of his kids back? If so how does that factor in to the concept of a closed population?

But anyway, absent his mutation, Kurt's a light-skinned dude of complicated parentage raised by Romani stereotypes, and his mutancy and background are always going to be so much more a factor than his race that I don't know that it's worth doing more heavy lifting trying to figure out the ramifications of an incompetently-plotted storyline than the writer himself seems to have put into creating it.

I doubt writers have ever really intended for Raven and Kurt to be anything but generic blue skinned mutants with the general assumption that white is the default race in Western media.
    There was a tweet from Zac Thompson recently about Evan and how he was born blue skinned so even though Apocalypse was originally Egyptian, Evan is just Blue

Writers like to use fictional skin tones like blue or green skinned aliens as stand-ins for actual racial diversity. It's a really annoying mentality.

But whatever the case, Kurt was still raised in a Romani family by Margali Szardos. It's a part of his culture and it's a shame it usually gets ignored in favor of Catholic guilt

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I enjoyed seeing Emplate again. King Bedlam should come back as a major foe.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I doubt writers have ever really intended for Raven and Kurt to be anything but generic blue skinned mutants with the general assumption that white is the default race in Western media.
    There was a tweet from Zac Thompson recently about Evan and how he was born blue skinned so even though Apocalypse was originally Egyptian, Evan is just Blue

Writers like to use fictional skin tones like blue or green skinned aliens as stand-ins for actual racial diversity. It's a really annoying mentality.

But whatever the case, Kurt was still raised in a Romani family by Margali Szardos. It's a part of his culture and it's a shame it usually gets ignored in favor of Catholic guilt
    It's grey. Or bluish grey. Rise of Apocalypse shows that En Sabah Nur's mutation gives him grey skin and straight hair when his father, Baal, finds him. His clones have the same mutation in Uncanny X-Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Anarchist-Was perfect for the series he was created for and doesn't need any kind of mainstream popularity.
    Spike-Same deal as the Anarchist.
    I actually just read this series for the first time a month ago and I was gobsmacked with how modern it felt. Seriously they could take X-Statix and make it a perfectly great tv series and not have to change the race/age/sex of any of the characters. I could even see them doing a "Guardians of the Galaxy" type of movie with that group to help introduce X-books into the MUC. I mean let's face it, no one knew who Star Lord or Groot were 10 years ago unless you were a Marvel fan, and even then the book wasn't exactly flying off shelves.

Marvel got too invested in Storm. that's why. she was a great African American character men and women could look up to making them to care less about any of the black mutants. Storm got too important.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 01-03-2019 at 09:25 AM.

If Cable had been introduced as a black mutant cyborg, we'd all be a lot more healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Which is odd because Azazel is his father who comes from: 1) mutants of ancient biblical times, which may imply Middle Eastern, and 2) the Caribbean Sea, in which most of the population of the islands surrounding that area is not White. Then there is Mystique, whose origin is unknown, so she can literally be anything.

So, disregarding his blue skin, Kurt should at least be biracial in some way.
    Agree completely. I think he should look Middle Eastern without his blue.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This post is so on the mark.
    Yes it is.

The answer to the OP's question comes down to two main points.
    1: The writers' lack of interest in writing those characters coupled with an inability to write compelling stories centred around those characters. (Probably, but not solely, because of...)
    2: Editorial's heavy-handed mandates.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont understand this argument about storm being too important and that's why no other black people can as well. did the success of wolverine keep other white msle characters from being just as successful? the problem is that the creative minds at marvel are not diverse. when you you have a team that are mostly white men you get stories that reflect this. this to me is the biggest reason why black men,as well as black people in genera,l are not more visible in meaningful ways in the xbooks.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 01-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    If Cable had been introduced as a black mutant cyborg, we'd all be a lot more healthy.
    He likely wouldnt be around today or at least not to the capacity that he is. Retconning him into being Cyclop's son and tying him to Jean gave the character new life that Im not sure he'd have had post Liefield 90s X-men

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He likely wouldnt be around today or at least not to the capacity that he is. Retconning him into being Cyclop's son and tying him to Jean gave the character new life that Im not sure he'd have had post Liefield 90s X-men
    uhhh how do i go to this superior timeline
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IMO, absolutely nothing about Cable's distant Apocalyptic future is necessary to his character, or to the franchise he serves. Nothing Clan Askani, nothing Summers Family, nothing psychic psimitars has proven essential to his core concept, or offered more than how he was originally introduced: grizzled mutant Terminator, with a boot camp teaching style. He's a hardass drill sergeant from the future, which makes him perfect for team-ups with Deadpool.

*IF* Cable had been introduced as the black mutant cyborg future fighter Lucas Bishop, we'd have been spared decades of Summers Family nonsense, and the character would have established his OWN notoriety as a badass 90s mutant ideologue that's entirely separate from optimistic Xavier of the 60s, nuanced separatist Magneto of the 70s, and survivor den mother Storm of the 80s. AND you get an incredibly strong voice and personality in a [straight] black male body, something the franchise needed at that time --and continues to need today.

I'd have introduced him as DOFP's heroic answer to the question of organized resistance to Ahab. Reduce the amount of "alternate dystopian future histories" from 3-5 to exactly 1.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-03-2019 at 11:34 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    You can't since X-Cutioner's Song exists in every timeline. It's the best X-over.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I want one where Bishop (and Rachel) are the only mutants from dystopian futures, and most Cable appearances are instead Bishop appearances. (And Cyclops never met, married, or impregnated Madelyne Pryor, so there's no Cable at all.)

Bishop forming his own X-Force out of former Hellions and New Mutants, to deal with some threat from the future and / or prevent some terrible future? Oh yeah.

Although that would mean that Bishop would have been drawn by Liefield, and been another footless overly-be-pouched hyperthyroid freak of anatomy...