Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    You guys have fun with it. But we will see how much you enjoy it when they hook that auntey with Alfred ;D

(I'm joking, just in case)
    I think everything is up in the air right now! I'm just hoping that whatever they do will be good!

You guys have fun with it. But we will see how much you enjoy it when they hook that auntey with Alfred ;D

(I'm joking, just in case)
    I would think that would most likely be saved for the next Batman: A XXX Parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I would think that would most likely be saved for the next Batman: A XXX Parody.
    Ah, I would love more stuff like the Lego movie, to be honest. Even the JLAction comedy mod was a breath of fresh air to be honest.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ah, I would love more stuff like the Lego movie, to be honest. Even the JLAction comedy mod was a breath of fresh air, to be honest.
    I LOVE JL Action! That's the Youtube one right?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It was actually on Cartoon Network first. Which of course got it the kiss of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It was actually on Cartoon Network first. Which of course got it the kiss of death.
    Yep, unfortunately. It was really good. And it did have a series of shorts in YT. I've got to watch the series, but those shorts were sweet too, good for catching audience, I think. Didn't work in the end, but still.

Yep, unfortunately. It was really good. And it did have a series of shorts in YT. I've got to watch the series, but those shorts were sweet too, good for catching audience, I think. Didn't work in the end, but still.
    Didn't even know about the shorts. Guess it was like the Batman Unlimited movies + shorts.

JLAction was pretty great. My daughter especially loved that show. I wish it had lasted longer, I would've liked to have seen some of the Bats there, like Nightwing, Cass, Kate, and Damian.

Shame that Cartoon Network sucks so much, they've killed several shows that, as far as I know, performed well but didn't fit the flavor the network was going for. Young Justice, JLAction, I think that Green Lantern cartoon that came out around the same time as the movie......I'm not a cartoon guy (I just have kids) but I don't understand CN and their determination to have everything they do be either modeled after the Adventure Time stuff or Adult Swim and anime. Like, did they not make money from these other shows despite quality reviews and ratings? I know YJ didn't sell the toys DC wanted, but does that screw with CN?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    JLAction was pretty great. My daughter especially loved that show. I wish it had lasted longer, I would've liked to have seen some of the Bats there, like Nightwing, Cass, Kate, and Damian.

Shame that Cartoon Network sucks so much, they've killed several shows that, as far as I know, performed well but didn't fit the flavor the network was going for. Young Justice, JLAction, I think that Green Lantern cartoon that came out around the same time as the movie......I'm not a cartoon guy (I just have kids) but I don't understand CN and their determination to have everything they do be either modeled after the Adventure Time stuff or Adult Swim and anime. Like, did they not make money from these other shows despite quality reviews and ratings? I know YJ didn't sell the toys DC wanted, but does that screw with CN?

If I'm not mistaken, most sponsors finance the creation of a cartoon, because these sponsors are the companies that create and sell these toys.

That is why good toys sales are so important, because if the toy sales aren't so good, sponsors will stop financing.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-22-2020 at 09:22 AM.

D'oh! Of course, that makes sense.

Like I said, I'm not a cartoon guy (or a toy guy) and I clearly don't know how those industries function.

I remember those YJ toys though, and they looked pretty cheaply made. Maybe if Matel or whoever made them had put a little effort in, people would've bought them. I might not know these particular industries but I do know that if your product is subpar, it won't sell.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Relying on toy sales for TV show revenue seems like an extremely out-dated model for the kids of today. I hope they ditch it going forward because it results in good shows getting canned when they don't sell child's toys. What if the intended audience is a very different age or gender than the audience they actually attract? What if the toys they make don't have a lot of effort put into them?

Its has, sort of. Now it is also about subscriptions. But merchandise sales is still a big part of the revenue steams. Look at Marvel helping with Sony's Spider-Man films cause they still had merchandise rights.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-22-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    D'oh! Of course, that makes sense.

Like I said, I'm not a cartoon guy (or a toy guy) and I clearly don't know how those industries function.

I remember those YJ toys though, and they looked pretty cheaply made. Maybe if Matel or whoever made them had put a little effort in, people would've bought them. I might not know these particular industries but I do know that if your product is subpar, it won't sell.
    This is where the "YJ mainly attracts women and teenagers" factor comes in.

This demographic may enjoy the show, but are not as interested in buying superhero toys especially cheaply made. That's why they want kids because they want more superhero toys even cheaply made (I don't think Teen Titans Go has a big quality in its merchabdise either).

Maybe Matel or whoever made them could change the kind of merchandise they sell to fit their audience, but I guess they want to focus on toys.

However, the audience of YJ may doesn't buy superhero toys, but they would pay for a subscrption. That's why YJ returns to the DCU app.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This is where the "YJ mainly attracts women and teenagers" factor comes in.

This demographic may enjoy the show, but are not as interested in buying superhero toys especially cheaply made. That's why they want kids becaus they want more superhero toys even cheaply made (I don't think Teen Titans Go has a big quality in its merchabdise either). Pp

Maybe Matel or whoever made them could change the kind of merchandise they sell to fit their audience,but I guess they want to focus on toys.

However, the audience of YJ may doesn't buy superhero toys, but they would pay for a subscrption. That's why YJ returns to the DCU app.
    Perhaps women and teens don't buy toys, but they (we) buy other stuff when they can. And sure, subs are a thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    Relying on toy sales for TV show revenue seems like an extremely out-dated model for the kids of today. I hope they ditch it going forward because it results in good shows getting canned when they don't sell child's toys. What if the intended audience is a very different age or gender than the audience they actually attract? What if the toys they make don't have a lot of effort put into them?
    It isn't really out-dated, it is still pretty important.

In Japan, they also rely in merchandise sales for anime.

However, "animation is only for kids" is not a concept in Japan. They could create anime for teen and adults and the merchandise that they create is for this audience (not superhero toys).
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-22-2020 at 10:12 AM.