Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    If that is the case, then it proves my case even more. Astonishing X-Men followed D-day, right? Just do that. Stick to simply saving mutants, and being heroes. Have it that they're trying to move past Cyke, and what he did, and focus on the future. Have it be optimistic, and perhaps idealistic, to be the light to UXM's darkness.

Would've been perfect to have Whedon/Wood/David/Carey do that book. With a name like "Extraordinary", you'd expect Astonishing 2.0, I think.

Lemire would've been much better suited doing a Cyke solo, or a Cyke centric book that happened to also be a small X-Force team book (like Cyke, Frenzy, and Bishop). He'd do amazing with it.
    That is why i feel the book is hindered with the multiple crisis that have not been addressed.I think the first 8 or so issues of the 3 team X-books have been playing catch up to what we have now and they have not been able to identify themselves as what route they will take because they have to hint at off panel details that can not be further explored without giving away to much.

I believe once we get through this initial shock of what happened 8 months ago we will see a book similar to Astonishing.

The idea of Lemire on a small X-force style team book with some of the character you mentioned would be something i would pick up.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Oh, that's true. Ramos being on this doesn't work for me either.

If anything, the OML artist should've followed Lemire to this book. Or maybe they could've got Cassaday...because then they would've gotten Whedon...

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    I just realised I'm doing a lot of complaining with very little in way of providing a solution, so how's this:

We all get together and send Lemire a copy of the Morrisson Manifesto.

Heck, send a copy to everyone in the X-Office if they haven't already read it. That should be a part of required reading for anyone who wants to work on contemporary X-Comics. Not saying we need another Morrisson-like run, but the Manifesto shows a real understanding of the X-Men brand in a way that I don't think has been effectively utilised in quite some time.
    Or...just put him on a Cyke solo, or a small X-Force team book with Cyke as the lead (maybe the others being Frenzy, and Bishop), about want happen during the 8 months, and then into what he's been up to.

Or...just put him on a Cyke solo, or a small X-Force team book with Cyke as the lead (maybe the others being Frenzy, and Bishop), about want happen during the 8 months, and then into what he's been up to.
    I'm not entirely sure we have the authority to do that ngl. I'm willing to print off a few million copies of the Manifesto to file into Lemire's house like Harry Potter gettin his hogwarts letter.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    I'm not entirely sure we have the authority to do that ngl. I'm willing to print off a few million copies of the Manifesto to file into Lemire's house like Harry Potter gettin his hogwarts letter.
    What was so good about the Morrison Manifesto in your view? I haven't read all of it just like one or two pages once. Frankly to me it sounded like too many buzzphrases and marketing jargon. I also felt like Morrison displacing Claremont was bad.

However I don't deny MOrrison's run shook things up and involved massive change (some of which got later retconned of course)
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Mike Irish

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right to put this but here it goes! I am loving Extraordinary X-Men but I don't understand why are humans afraid of becoming sick or infected by mutants when its only mutants who are becoming sick from the terrigen mist? Also Some of the X-Men are hiding out in Limbo so they won't be affected by the terrigen mist but if that is the case then how can the terrigen mist stop them from producing new mutants if they aren't even in the same reality as the mist. Can anyone help me understand? What am I misunderstanding? Im not totally caught up yet but I don't care about spoilers because I would really like to understand this before I go on. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What was so good about the Morrison Manifesto in your view? I haven't read all of it just like one or two pages once. Frankly to me it sounded like too many buzzphrases and marketing jargon. I also felt like Morrison displacing Claremont was bad.

However I don't deny MOrrison's run shook things up and involved massive change (some of which got later retconned of course)
    The way it balances between respecting continuity and highlighting the fact it is one of the biggest hindrances to storytelling is certainly a highlight, and when he expresses a desire to go back to Claremont/Byrne quality without compromising what would make the X-Men successful as a brand. I wouldn't say his implementation was perfect, but the 9 "commandments" really set up the best way to not-reboot a series. Another bit I like is when he talks about making the X-Men "COOL" again, making them bigger than a private thing for people who follow comics and transforming them appropriately for the cultural icons they already are. This approach is how I feel about all flagships. We have Uncanny/All-New now as 2001 had Uncanny/X-Treme; they can delve into the joy of long term fans, they can be for us, but the flagship should be dramatic and exciting for everyone. Currently EXM can't even manage to make it dramatic and exciting for just X-Fans but hey ho.

Most of all, I think, it's the quote:

"The X-MEN are every rebel teenager wanting to change the world and make it better. Humanity is every adult, clinging to the past, trying to destroy the future even as he places all his hopes there. The superhero aspect should be seen as only a small element in the vast potential of this franchise."

Like, damn, that's the X-Men. Right there. In the first bit he understands how most young people feel (or definitely I did) growing up with the X-Men and in the second bit he really gets why the X-Men endure. People often complain about the silly soap opera stuff, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching a metal man punch a flamboyant costume as much as I did Kitty Pryde standing up to Reverend Stryker or Cyclops' marital issues or Magneto reevaluating his approach to mutant rights.

I definitely recommend reading the first part of the manifesto, before he drafts out his first 6 months. It's not gospel, but it has a real grasp on what he had to do with the X-Franchise and history shows that he was pretty spot-on. He also really bigs up Claremont thru-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Irish View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right to put this but here it goes! I am loving Extraordinary X-Men but I don't understand why are humans afraid of becoming sick or infected by mutants when its only mutants who are becoming sick from the terrigen mist? Also Some of the X-Men are hiding out in Limbo so they won't be affected by the terrigen mist but if that is the case then how can the terrigen mist stop them from producing new mutants if they aren't even in the same reality as the mist. Can anyone help me understand? What am I misunderstanding? Im not totally caught up yet but I don't care about spoilers because I would really like to understand this before I go on. Thanks!

I think the humans in this case are taking it similar to how every straight person thought they would magically get the 'gay disease' when Aids broke out for the first time. Funnily enough I'm sure they did bc it wasn't in fact a gay disease but I digress...
    And I think the T-Mists magically sterilised all mutants somehow, so even when they're in a different reality, they are already sterile.

While I agree that the editorial mandate might've hindered the potential great storylines, I think good writers can still produce compelling stories with great characterization. IMO Lemire's EXM lacks of that. It just feels hollow and not too exciting. Maybe he'll do great with small member teams or solos.

As In EXM #9, I think it's a mistake focusing on the X-kids when we haven't cared enough about the adults X-Men.
    Honestly this title feels more like Wolverine and the X-Men (in this case it's Storm and the X-Men) rather than a flagship X-Men title.

I find it very strange we are calling them the X-Kids. Obviously they are, and it's an apt way to describe them, but to me they are complete non-entities that even when an entire issue is devoted to them have little of consequence or interest happen to them. Anole should be far more interesting. Glob should be Rockslide. Ernst shouldn't just be Martha's mouthpiece. The most interesting part of Martha isn't that she's a quirky aesthetic.

They don't have any of the charm that I associate with the term X-Kids. Not saying everyone should stop using that term bc it makes me feel weird, just saying that, well, it makes me feel weird.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Lemire's biggest issue is an obvious lack of knowledge regarding the franchise. Character response and motivation generally feels off to the point where it's jarring, nothing seems to gel well with established history and it becomes frustrating to long time fans. Just contrasting it to Bunn (an admitted X-Men superfan) and it's like night and day. One seems effortless and sincere, the other jumbled and confused.

Basically Lemire needs to read more trades and back issues. Presumably this would also be where a knowledgable editor should step in to help guide and inform the (struggling) writer but who knows what they really do these days.
    I think a big problem is that Lemire stopped reading X-Men in the nineties and returned with Morrison, while Bunn has most likely read every issue ever. That's a big gap. Bunn's love of/enthusiasm for everything about the X-Men is what makes his run great so far. Meanwhile, Lemire only loves some of it, and it shows in his work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I think a big problem is that Lemire stopped reading X-Men in the nineties and returned with Morrison
    I didn't know this. I guess that somewhat explains the inexplicable return of Glob after Secret Wars. (Seriously why is this fat pink lump getting both exposure AND unexplained new powers Havok can't even get his inversion addressed ffs)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

You did not ask me but to me Planet X, mostly, what was promised and what happened. I was rather annoyed. We were promised mutant culture. All we got was Jumbo Carnation. A character which was barely introduced, only to be quickly fridged in an awful story where the people who were going to stab him got off scott free on a technicality. Then the angered students got their legs broken by Cyclops in some disgusting display of brutality. "No more boyscout!" Now Scott is cheating on his wife with a criminal and crippling teenagers when he does not run off like a crybaby to the strip club, that is.

Anyway, as terrible as it all was it was still entertaining and EXM is not.
    Last edited by DDD; 04-23-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Oh, that's true. Ramos being on this doesn't work for me either.

If anything, the OML artist should've followed Lemire to this book. Or maybe they could've got Cassaday...because then they would've gotten Whedon...
    I dunno. While I'm not a fan of Remos on this book, I wouldn't want the OML artist here. Not really a fan of his style of drawing faces, especially older characters looking like their faces are cracked rather than them having wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I dunno. While I'm not a fan of Remos on this book, I wouldn't want the OML artist here. Not really a fan of his style of drawing faces, especially older characters looking like their faces are cracked rather than them having wrinkles.
    At least Logan doesn't look 100 in Old Man Logan.