Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Sabertooth case isn't a big problem, he is on the pit for like 2 years. While mystique is looking good because she is fighting to save her wife, people are already close to forget her crimes because of it.

Xavier only gave sabertooh one chance, Rogue got called out because of the villains team that went wrong. No one takes him seriously as villians after Austen run humiliated him

I relaly think that x-men books have to stop white wash villains.

Daken and Aurora was a bad decision. I dont believe Leah know the characters stories well, she just writes how she thinks they are
    Sabretooth and Mystique were brought on mid 90s X-Factor to try to help save the sinking ship back then. They would have been far better off just making Lorna more complex a character as JM had been doing. Lorna should be able to be a character that can shift between anti-hero and anti-villain if needed, but they haven't sold that in a long time.

Making a fun loving book also dark and provocative is not a simple formula and what they did in the 90s didn't revive sales. I think the current iteration of X-Factor perhaps could have used the investigating horrible deaths function to also be able to deal with the darkest realms of the human condition.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-13-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

Sabertooth case isn't a big problem, he is on the pit for like 2 years. While mystique is looking good because she is fighting to save her wife, people are already close to forget her crimes because of it.

Xavier only gave sabertooh one chance, Rogue got called out because of the villains team that went wrong. No one takes him seriously as villians after Austen run humiliated him

I relaly think that x-men books have to stop white wash villains.
    It's been a weird trend that seems to have become more frequent especialy in the last decades and is even worse now.

Rogue and Magneto were okay. Rogue had to proof herself over and over and never really went back. Magneto became more layered, but has been notorious for slipping back and forth. Emma Frost worked in Generation X, but i've seen argument that her development all but faded away into her old personality just on the hero side when Morrison put her on the X-men.

And then there was Bob Harras' odd demand for putting a character on the main team who was original meant to be so irredeemable Storm had to kill her.

I like Marrow and enjoyed many of the late 90's X-men comics with her (i know all the problems with them though), but for a long time it has bothered that shortly after she joined the X-men, the writers seemingly went with trying to portray her as some sort of troubled rowdy teenager who only needed to be happy with herself in order to become a productive member of society.

Rather than the half crazed violent child soldier her origin story actualy paints her as, for whom the first important step should have been admitting that what she did was wrong and try to make amends for it (even if all she can do is redirect her violence towards other monsters). Something which arguably has not been done in any of her brief appearances the last 20 years (meaning she is quite behind properly getting her character set straight).

Which has set quite a bad precedent for who would be allowed on the X-men after her.

Not much to say about this issue as my opinion of the series hasn’t changed. The giant eyeball looking over the Krakoa party was an awesome scene though. I wasn’t a fan of this series but I feel bad for Williams that she found out with such short notice. Hopefully her Trial of Magneto series is better.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The strong part of the book was the characters. The weak was the story...and sense we know that this issue was the rushed finish everything one, and not all the previous ones, that's a big problem. I actually liked the art, a bit more on the tooney side, but was clear and presented a unique feel to the book (see X-Corp for opposite of this). But this issue started with the whole "we're dealing with the morrigan!" and I had this realization I had absolutely no idea what had been going on in this book despite reading it and generaly feeling like I've been enjoying it.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

I dont believe Leah know the characters stories well, she just writes how she thinks they are
    Williams comes from the Whedon (sorry to bring him up!) school of writing... all snark and melodrama. Characters all have a similar humor and they're really sarcastic but with a heart of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Williams comes from the Whedon (sorry to bring him up!) school of writing... all snark and melodrama. Characters all have a similar humor and they're really sarcastic but with a heart of gold.
    I think she also is heavily inflluenced by Bendis and his Bendis-speak. It's a exagerated way that sometimes works on tv shows/movies but too much on comics it turns boring fast

I was refering moreabout her limited knowledge of canon, same problem that I spot on Tini Howard. They know very little aout these characters stories and it shows

I think she also is heavily inflluenced by Bendis and his Bendis-speak. It's a exagerated way that sometimes works on tv shows/movies but too much on comics it turns boring fast

I was refering moreabout her limited knowledge of canon, same problem that I spot on Tini Howard. They know very little aout these characters stories and it shows
    I think this is an oversimplification. When's the last time Rachel used her time-related powers? Siryn has had this Morrigan plot dangling for how many years? When's the last time the New X-Men were all in one place and acknowledged as a tight knit group?

Also totally agree that this type of writing works significantly better for TV where the actors can inject their own personalities/performances into the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think this is an oversimplification. When's the last time Rachel used her time-related powers? Siryn has had this Morrigan plot dangling for how many years? When's the last time the New X-Men were all in one place and acknowledged as a tight knit group?

Also totally agree that this type of writing works significantly better for TV where the actors can inject their own personalities/performances into the lines.
    Siryn was very recent and a wiki could tell about it, same for Rachel you just need to go in a wiki to know it. New x-men is more recent, just like Syrin becoming Morrigan.

Siryn was very recent and a wiki could tell about it, same for Rachel you just need to go in a wiki to know it. New x-men is more recent, just like Syrin becoming Morrigan.
    So is your complaint that you feel like she only read the Marvel wiki and not the issues themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    So is your complaint that you feel like she only read the Marvel wiki and not the issues themselves?
    No, read my post again: limited knowledge of canon + writing that mix the worse of Whedon with Bendis.

Some time ago she didnt even knew Monet was Emma's alumn

Do you suppose we'll ever find out what was going on with Aurora in the first issue?

She became the Morrigan in 2012... I didn’t realize very recent was almost a decade ago. New X-Men is also over a decade.

We’re not gonna get any new/ fresh writers if we expect them all to have intimate knowledge of every single x-comic published in the last 50-60 years (that’s why editors exist). Even older writers like Duggan have gaps in knowledge. He admitted in a podcast recently that he didn’t know that Cable and Domino were ever romantically involved.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

She became the Morrigan in 2012... I didn’t realize very recent was almost a decade ago. New X-Men is also over a decade.

We’re not gonna get any new/ fresh writers if we expect them all to have intimate knowledge of every single x-comic published in the last 50-60 years (that’s why editors exist). Even older writers like Duggan have gaps in knowledge. He admitted in a podcast recently that he didn’t know that Cable and Domino were ever romantically involved.
    Exactly. And honestly I felt that Leah had more of a grasp on the canon for her cast than others have had before. Bringing back Rachel's chronoskimming and making it useful. Lorna's past and feelings about Krakoa as well as her geology background.
    Truth about the editors, but we all know they have not been on their game over the past few years.

Yea I don't think Williams did bad on the continuity front. Tini felt worse to me, because it felt like she missed the core parts of various relationship among her team. Rogue as Betsy's BFF despite them being rivals under CC and sometimes antagonistic, Gambit and Rogue complaining but still going along with Apocalypse despite both their histories with being manipulated, Jaime and everything with the Braddocks, etc...

The only big faus paux for me was the Aurora and Daken romance due to both their history as was recently discussed. Though it could possible that William knew about that... but that seems way too dark for Williams. I think she got more right then wrong in X-Factor.

Back in the day, writers would spend the time to read up on the characters they’re about to write. While he’s more extreme, I recall Kurt Busiek saying he reread tons of comics to prepare for his stellar Avengers gig. And it shows.