Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Thoughts on Barry in "The Red Death"? I was just glad Barry wasn't portrayed as incompetent.
    I'm not really sure there's much to say. Our Barry only really showed up at the very end.

Though I do think it's interesting that the Red Death's Flash is still in there, mentally, and is kind of fighting back.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not really sure there's much to say. Our Barry only really showed up at the very end.

Though I do think it's interesting that the Red Death's Flash is still in there, mentally, and is kind of fighting back.
    Yeah I liked that touch.

So how did everyone feel about the latest issue? I liked how Barry was able to stop Bloodwork and Singh shipping Barry off to Iron Heights is an interesting twist .

I love how Singh thinks he's been treating Barry with "tough love" up to this point and then he just ships him off to prison, basically .

I'm guessing Williamson will probably write Barry and Wolfe's dynamic like Johns wrote Wally and Wolfe, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of dynamic they have all the same since this'll be the first time they meet.

I wonder what Williamson is doing with this Kristen character. She and Barry seem to be bonding, even if it seems like she might blame him for Singh sending them both to Iron Heights even after they caught and collared Bloodwork. Is she supposed to be a new love interest? A CI buddy for Barry that's not Patty? Some kind of tease to a future plot? I just want to know what her deal is.

It's good to see Barry and Wally finally reconcile and start mending their partnership.

BANNED

To take a quote from Infinite Crisis: The Last time Barry Allen ever inspired anyone was when he was dead. To me Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns shouldn't have brought the character back without a full plan in place.

After seeing this: http://www.cbr.com/flash-rebirth-new...ed-storylines/.

I BLAME Geoff Johns and whoever else help made the new 52 possible for this mess and even the current writer to the Flash, who is trying to bring the elements of the past back is still putting Barry through ringer as he CAN'T CATCH A BREATHER/BREAK.

What's the point of being a modern day fan if your favorite character suffers that much.

BANNED

Question for the older readers here: When Return of Barry Allen was first coming out, did you buy it? As in, did you ever believe that Barry was REALLY back, or were the two issues before things got screwey not enough?

Just curious is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Question for the older readers here: When Return of Barry Allen was first coming out, did you buy it? As in, did you ever believe that Barry was REALLY back, or were the two issues before things got screwey not enough?

Just curious is all.
    I did.

The 1990 tv series got me interested in Barry Allen for the first time since Superfriends, and Wally never interested me outside of Kid Flash. I had been back tracking some silver age Barry books and loved him and Reverse Flash.... So yeah, when they slapped 'BARRY ALLEN IS BACK!!" on the cover I jumped at it. Fake outs, clones, and ressurections weren't nearly as common back then as they are now and with the tv show featuring Barry, it made sense to bring him back. So I fell for it. Then when they turned him into Prof Zoom.... I was just as Happy. But yeah, seeing full powered Speedster fights and showing just how effective 'Barry' was against guys like Green Lantern (my all time favorite) while they didn't want to hurt him was really a blast. It also gave me a new appreciation for Wally and is probably my favorite Wally Story ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I did.

The 1990 tv series got me interested in Barry Allen for the first time since Superfriends, and Wally never interested me outside of Kid Flash. I had been back tracking some silver age Barry books and loved him and Reverse Flash.... So yeah, when they slapped 'BARRY ALLEN IS BACK!!" on the cover I jumped at it. Fake outs, clones, and ressurections weren't nearly as common back then as they are now and with the tv show featuring Barry, it made sense to bring him back. So I fell for it. Then when they turned him into Prof Zoom.... I was just as Happy.
    Interesting.

Also, I will always be in the camp that prefers the 1990 show to the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    But yeah, seeing full powered Speedster fights and showing just how effective 'Barry' was against guys like Green Lantern (my all time favorite) while they didn't want to hurt him was really a blast. It also gave me a new appreciation for Wally and is probably my favorite Wally Story ever.
    It's a brilliant story and I think as far as 'Flash' stories go, it's yet to be surpassed (Although counting stories about other speedsters, I'd say Mercury Falling gives it a definite run for its money)

I first read the story when I was a kid (Back when I was VERY firmly on Team Barry as far as Flashes went and he was among my absolute favorite super heroes), and as I was reading this for the first time during a Yom Kippur fast (Great way to make sure you don't forget an experience: Do it during a 25 hour fast ), my brother having given me a number of trades to read, I was super excited to see he was back and couldn't wait to see what kinds of adventures him and Wally would go...my brother smiling with sadistic glee across the room, watching me, and knowing the story.

Interesting.

Also, I will always be in the camp that prefers the 1990 show to the current one.

They're very different shows... I just pulled out the box set yesterday to rewatch them while housesitting for parents and looking forward to it. I love that the current series is more rooted in the DC universe with the classic'ish' Rogues... but I HATE the team aspect. One thing about the original series... Barry was the Flash. He was the hero. He was the one who saved the day. No vibe, no kid flash, no kiler frost... While there was Tina doing some science stuff, Barry never really had to depend on a whole cast of characters to do all his thinking for him.

That REALLY appealed to me.

I first read the story when I was a kid (Back when I was VERY firmly on Team Barry as far as Flashes went and he was among my absolute favorite super heroes), and as I was reading this for the first time during a Yom Kippur fast (Great way to make sure you don't forget an experience: Do it during a 25 hour fast ), my brother having given me a number of trades to read, I was super excited to see he was back and couldn't wait to see what kinds of adventures him and Wally would go...my brother smiling with sadistic glee across the room, watching me, and knowing the story.
    Ouch... that's just... Ouch...

Yeah, that was one that I collected individually, and it took me forever to find that last issue when it sold out so fast...

Also, it didn't take them 4 seasons to get a (mostly) comic accurate costume. It's still a bit puffy/muscley... but when I see that, I know it's the flash!

Last edited by phantom1592; 10-19-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Interesting tidbit about the show. I read in the 1990 comic Tv special, the creators didn’t want to use Wally because he was such a jerk in the comics at that time. This was in the early stages of Wally before he matured. So they used Barry but gave him some Wally traits, like how he had to eat so much, using Tina MaGee instead of Iris, etc.
    That suit is still my all time favorite but John Wesley Shipp hated it! He said it was incredibly hot and heavy.
    Plus that score by the late Shirley Walker was outstanding!

And John Wesley Shipp is probably one of the nicest guys you can meet. He autographed that comic I was talking about at DragonCon this past year.

A4637B6E-DB6A-43E4-869D-0EC5A94D1ABA.jpg

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    And John Wesley Shipp is probably one of the nicest guys you can meet. He autographed that comic I was talking about at DragonCon this past year.

A4637B6E-DB6A-43E4-869D-0EC5A94D1ABA.jpg
    That's awesome!