Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I think that seven years of contradiction and little ambition is enough to say that the Disney canon, as it currently exists, is not going to stick. The latest rumours are that any future movies will be set in the 'High Republic' period, 400 years before Episode 1. Meaning that the source material for current canon may soon end. Seeing Rey Palpatine declare herself a Skywalker is the furthest point this sequel timeline will get. When Disney pivots to a new canon Marvel will follow suite.
    Rumours are just that. That the current Canon will not stick and just be thrown under the bus is not even that. You writing it does not make it fact.
    And even if they do not go further, they have a sucessful series with more coming like the rumoured Aphra series. That alone will get Comics for that published like the coming Bounty Hunter or the next aphra Comic.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Rumours are just that. That the current Canon will not stick and just be thrown under the bus is not even that. You writing it does not make it fact.
    And even if they do not go further, they have a sucessful series with more coming like the rumoured Aphra series. That alone will get Comics for that published like the coming Bounty Hunter or the next aphra Comic.
    Right now Disney seems more content playing in the past than moving forward. You can blame the Disney Trilogy (I refuse to say "Skywalker Saga" ) for that. I can see a bounty hunter series happen because The Mandalorian has already set it up. All the talk about Dr Whatshername is wishful thinking.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Marvel's current run of Star Wars has been hit or miss for me. The first volume of Star Wars lost me after about nine issues or so, and I took a pass on this current one. I liked the last volume of Darth Vader, but Doctor Aphra's book has been up and down with me.

I think for me it's an issue of scope. Since Marvel reacquired the license, there really haven't been many books set outside of the timeframe of the movies, and I think that was what appealed to me the most with Star Wars comics. 40 years ago, no one knew where things were going after The Empire Strikes Back, and it was kind of exciting, but now it feels like it's all just connecting the dots to me.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

The various limited series have been a bit more experimental (Outside of Aphra which was definitely different) than the main ongoings, I think.

Although they do tend to try to tie into the larger picture sometimes I think. For instance, the cadets in Han Solo: Imperial Cadet also appear in TIE fighter, which ties into the Alphabet Squadron books. Marvel even reworked one of their original creations for their Star Wars comic line (Valance) into things as well. The Phasma comic series also had quite a few references to the Phasma novel released at the same time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't like Last Jedi but I thought Luke's characterization was solid.
    If anything's destroyed Star Wars it's The Rise if Skywalker.

If you want to discuss the recent films, there are a multitude of threads to do so. This thread is for the newly relaunched comic and spin off comics from Marvel.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    All the talk about Dr Whatshername is wishful thinking.
    No as i said it is called a rumour. And you can say her Name you know.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

You can relabel the EU as 'legends' if you want but you can't stop people from reading them. Few bother to remember Moving Target or Lost Stars since their release in 2015 but Shadows of the Empire has stood the test of time, not just as a novel but as a multimedia event already engrained in pop culture. Marvel would do well to learn the lesson from Disney's failures and stop trying to re-tread old ground, that is unless they want to reboot their Star Wars comics for a third time in 18 months or so.
    Engrained in pop culture? I thought you guys were talking about the old N64 game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Engrained in pop culture? I thought you guys were talking about the old N64 game.
    The game was only a part of it. Shadows of the Empire encompassed a novel, comics and some audio dramas. A multimedia event that was like a mini Star Wars movie in it's own right. If anything what Lucasfilm learnt from Shadows of the Empire directly informed the media blitz created for Episode 1 just a few years later.

The game was only a part of it. Shadows of the Empire encompassed a novel, comics and some audio dramas. A multimedia event that was like a mini Star Wars movie in it's own right. If anything what Lucasfilm learnt from Shadows of the Empire directly informed the media blitz created for Episode 1 just a few years later.
    Yeah it was a test drive/build up hype for the brand thing. Not sure it's had quite the staying power as other stuff has, but eh, what do I know?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think part of SOTE's purpose was to build hype for the SE and later the prequels. A lot of the changes and vehichles seen in the SE debut in Shadows-crashed spaceships re-purposed as buildings and larger structures in Mos Eisley, Swoops, the bigger Imperial shuttle, the Outrider etc. Zahn/Thrawn, Dark Empire and some of the Lucasarts games started the ball rolling, but 1995-1999 was when things really started to get interesting.

It could also be claimed that Shadows's version of Coruscant was influenced by the designs being developed for the SE and prequels; if you look at some of the earlier depictions of Coruscant in the comics, early reference books and games, they seemed to be more based on the somewhat more industrialized, somewhat ugly version of the planet seen from the Return of the Jedi concepts, rather than the more fancy, busy metropolis we see later on.

I haven't read Empire Ascendant yet, but I guess they skipped over the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, something told in previous ANH/ESB gap EU. Weird.

Read the first issue. It's kind of interesting that it's a "between the scenes" of the end of EMPIRE, with Luke yet to get his replacement hand and everybody's unsure about trusting Lando.

Also like that there's a nod to Shattered Empire and the sequel trilogy with Poe's parents involved. There's still a bit of mystery regarding Shara's fate, which apparently drove Poe temporarily into smuggling according to the Visual Dictionary.

One thing I thought was a bit weird was some of the art, where the space battle seemed to have *way* too many green lasers everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Read the first issue. It's kind of interesting that it's a "between the scenes" of the end of EMPIRE, with Luke yet to get his replacement hand and everybody's unsure about trusting Lando.

Also like that there's a nod to Shattered Empire and the sequel trilogy with Poe's parents involved. There's still a bit of mystery regarding Shara's fate, which apparently drove Poe temporarily into smuggling according to the Visual Dictionary.

One thing I thought was a bit weird was some of the art, where the space battle seemed to have *way* too many green lasers everywhere.
    Poe's mother died when he was a young boy, per the Before the Awakening novella.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don't think it quite says how it happened though. Flying accident? Shot down by TIEs from one of the warlords around at that time? Just some illness? etc.

Wonder if we'll see young Poe himself as well.