Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, it will make a great storyline (which is why I'm using the idea in my own story). I picked a revived Spidercide rather than the original Jackal to be the catalyst, but the premise works either way.

I find the entire question of when does justice become vengeance along with the corrosive nature of hatred, justified or not, endlessly fascinating. Ben's character is currently in a unique place among the Spiders where such darker topics can be freely explored. A pity Marvel seems to be squandering such a golden opportunity.
    Hmm, Spidercide definitely makes sense, at least as a shadow archetype/evil counterpart for Ben (and Kaine), representing the worst of what they could have (or did) become. Given the original Jackal's plans to create a Spidercide 2.0 in Chris Yost's Scarlet Spider/Superior Spider-Man crossover arc, something that was sadly not capitalized on before the title(s) ended . . . Yes, definitely a squandered opportunity, though one I'm hoping doesn't remain such for too long.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, Spidercide definitely makes sense, at least as a shadow archetype/evil counterpart for Ben (and Kaine), representing the worst of what they could have (or did) become. Given the original Jackal's plans to create a Spidercide 2.0 in Chris Yost's Scarlet Spider/Superior Spider-Man crossover arc, something that was sadly not capitalized on before the title(s) ended . . . Yes, definitely a squandered opportunity, though one I'm hoping doesn't remain such for too long.
    True, I hope we eventually do get to read such a story in 616 Canon or else an official AU (maybe another Spiderverse side tale). *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Obviously we’re not getting Ben starring in his own book anytime soon and probably not even as part of a team as there are enough spider people out there.

I think that Peter and Ben need to have a face to face. They were brothers once upon a time and a lot has happened. We need some sort of catharsis. Have them hash things out and establish what Ben will do next.

He could use his cloning expertise to start a hospital for heroes. Quick grow some body parts or blood for transfusion. His role should maybe be less spandex more lab coat these days and he’ll throw on the hoodie when he needs to.
    Last edited by Obsidian Spider; 01-29-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Hi, all because it'll likely be a long time (if ever) before Ben has to face the ramifications of his times as the Jackal in 616, I ask what issues do you want me to cover in my crossover story when Lizard, Rhino & Ned Leeds go after Ben for revenge? While I have my own idea I'm plotting out the story arc now and would like to get some other ideas from you guys so I don't disappoint those of you who are reading the series. I thank you in advance,
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-29-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

11241FF1-05C1-46C9-8455-0AE797B09469.jpg
    Quick drawing of my Scarlet Redesign. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    For those interested, Season Two of my crossover story (Spider-Man and Doki Doki Literature Club) "Two Lost Souls" is now posted. Ben thought his past as the second Jackal was behind him but he is dead wrong. Ben and his new family will have to fight for everything they hold dear when a coalition of those he harmed, including Rhino, Ned Lees/Hobgoblin II and Lizard, seek vengeance led by an old enemy -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12854184/23/Two-Lost-Souls

Is so inclined, enjoy.
    bookmarked for future reading
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Said the following back in 2018 but want to in here. In my head canon, The Clone Conspiracy and Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider never happened. Hated the former, liked some of the latter and really hated the last issue. Spider-Geddon was Ben Reilly's resurrection from his death in the 90s Clone Saga.

616 is too crowded with Spider people.

Ben needs a fresh start in a world where Peter was killed by Morlun.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post

For some reason that I haven't really pinpointed for myself yet, I'd prefer that Ben and Kaine both keep their distance from alternate reality stuff. Clone Conspiracy and Spidergeddon were fun stories more or less, but ...

I dunno. I feel like it takes away from their plight somehow.

-Pav, who thinks Marvel should do a Web Warriors title starring Miles and Gwen, and featuring others like 2099, Noir, Mayday...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    For some reason that I haven't really pinpointed for myself yet, I'd prefer that Ben and Kaine both keep their distance from alternate reality stuff. Clone Conspiracy and Spidergeddon were fun stories more or less, but ...

-Pav, who thinks Marvel should do a Web Warriors title starring Miles and Gwen, and featuring others like 2099, Noir, Mayday...
    616 may be crowded with Spider folks, but I consider Ben and Kaine to have slight advantages over the other Spiders. They are Peter's brothers in a way. They are genetically him, though different in other characteristics. I agree that Ben and Kaine should have some kind of reckoning or meeting with Pete to firmly establish the nature of the relationship, especially the one between Peter and Ben. Afterwards, they can be the Spider-Men of a different part of America or the world.

As an aside, I've started to read the complete volume of Ben Reilly's time as Spider-Man. It's amazing (no pun intended) to see what a couple of decades would do. While back in the 90s, I was despondent and rage-filled to know that the Peter Parker I thought was the real Peter Parker wasn't the real Peter Parker (crap, that's a lot of Peter Parker's) and had a pretty sour view on Ben, now there's a sense of appreciation. I'm really enjoying seeing Ben grow as a hero and start to forge his own life. There was a lot of potential there that got lost under lots of fanboy rage. There's still a lot of potential for Ben today.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Actually, I know what you mean. You’re either a clone or an alternate reality version. Mixing them is a bit much. And it’s their history with other characters that make things interesting

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Spider-Man 2005:

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    616 may be crowded with Spider folks, but I consider Ben and Kaine to have slight advantages over the other Spiders. They are Peter's brothers in a way. They are genetically him, though different in other characteristics. I agree that Ben and Kaine should have some kind of reckoning or meeting with Pete to firmly establish the nature of the relationship, especially the one between Peter and Ben. Afterwards, they can be the Spider-Men of a different part of America or the world.

As an aside, I've started to read the complete volume of Ben Reilly's time as Spider-Man. It's amazing (no pun intended) to see what a couple of decades would do. While back in the 90s, I was despondent and rage-filled to know that the Peter Parker I thought was the real Peter Parker wasn't the real Peter Parker (crap, that's a lot of Peter Parker's) and had a pretty sour view on Ben, now there's a sense of appreciation. I'm really enjoying seeing Ben grow as a hero and start to forge his own life. There was a lot of potential there that got lost under lots of fanboy rage. There's still a lot of potential for Ben today.
    Agreed, and if there is a path forward for Ben, I think it should start with reconnecting with the characters he knew, befriended, and even loved in his past, both during "The Lost Years" traveling around the country and his time as Spider-Man. I mean, did The Daily Grind close down or move? Did Elizabeth Tyne/Janine Godbe ever get out of prison? Did she, like in MC2, have a child fathered by Ben? What about the enemies he made as the Scarlet Spider and Spider-Man? Did his past encounter(s) with D'Spayre have anything to do with how and why he broke bad in The Clone Conspiracy? Speaking of The Clone Conspiracy, if Ben's going to ever truly move on from that and return to being the hero he once was, should he reckon with all the criminal "reanimates" he created as the new Jackal, as well as the pain he caused by giving bereaved people false hope of reuniting with or saving their deceased or dying loved ones?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Agreed, and if there is a path forward for Ben, I think it should start with reconnecting with the characters he knew, befriended, and even loved in his past, both during "The Lost Years" traveling around the country and his time as Spider-Man. I mean, did The Daily Grind close down or move? Did Elizabeth Tyne/Janine Godbe ever get out of prison? Did she, like in MC2, have a child fathered by Ben? What about the enemies he made as the Scarlet Spider and Spider-Man? Did his past encounter(s) with D'Spayre have anything to do with how and why he broke bad in The Clone Conspiracy? Speaking of The Clone Conspiracy, if Ben's going to ever truly move on from that and return to being the hero he once was, should he reckon with all the criminal "reanimates" he created as the new Jackal, as well as the pain he caused by giving bereaved people false hope of reuniting with or saving their deceased or dying loved ones?
    Ha, great suggestions bro! Yeah, I'm curious about the Daily Grind as well. What happened to the owner and her son (sorry, their names escape me at the moment)? Kid has to be in college by now. As has been mentioned before, it would be cool to see Ben's cast team up with Kaine's (there were a lot of unanswered questions when Kaine left Houston).

I also like the idea of coming to terms with the "Clone Conspiracy." As someone who has been reset and back to his saner self, Ben would feel tremendous guilt over his role in Clone Conspiracy. Granted, one could argue that he wasn't in the right frame of mind, but Ben being a Parker, he'd still feel that guilt. I like that idea actually, Ben atoning for being the Jackal. Gives him a new motivation and goal.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I’ve suggested in the past (and have seen others suggest) an on-the-road comic for Ben, ideally with Kaine along for some cross-country bonding/comedy. Going from town to town looking for atonement for Clone Conspiracy fallout would be a good start but it should quickly evolve into a more dyer mission: cloned bodies have started to mutate, creating powered people and monsters.

I’ve also proposed that coming across another of Warren’s labs could result in finding another Peter clone who has no memories and very little intelligence. This would make for a hilarious comic relief addition to the road trip.

Just imagine a monster-of-the-week-Supernatural-type series. Have them in an old mustang with leather-jacket-wearing-bad-attitude Kaine driving, hoodie-wearing optimistic Ben navigating, and track-suit-wearing dumb-as-a-post new clone in the back.

Also, have a shadowy mystery villain ever-watching/manipulating the Scarlet Bros. This could be Spidercide. A series where the entire cast is the same person!