Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Lemire's run on X-men, what do you think so far? Replace him?

OK so 9 issues in, how do you feel about Lemire's run so far? What are the positives or negatives? Is it too early to judge? Is it time to replace him? Who do you want on the book?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I dont know if its his fault or editorial but for the LOVE OF GOD stop hating on mutants every. single. issue. Throughout the issue. Just stop doing that. I don't read Inhumans book for a reason. I dont read Avengers books for a reason. I dont give a damn about those characters. I care about mutants and X-characters. If I buy an X-book I want it to focus POSITIVELY on X-characters and mutants at large NOT negatively. This is not hard to understand for anybody so I have to believe it's editoral doing it on purpose just to piss us off. So I can't probably blame Lemire. I want Claremont back but I know people will totally disagree with me so whatever. Bunn is doing awesome with UXM maybe give EXM to him too? Like how Bendis did both UXM and ANXM? I dont know if Bendis did as much with having control of two books as he could have (Bendis did waaaay too many projects at the same time and was a total scatter brain) but I think Bunn could possibly. Otherwise I dont really have ideas, maybe bring back Gillen? Or hell bring back Spurrier or Peter David but I dont know if I want either of those for EXM. Just bring them back though please and give them some kind of X-book thanks
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The story could be a lot better. I'm sure part of it it's Marvel's editorial fault. But I like how he writes the characters. In 9 issues his Jean already feels better than Bendis's.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Positives: Magick

Negatives: Everything else.

What is the point of this book? It has no singular driving narrative besides blaming Cyclops every time someone trips over themselves.

The thing is Lemire is a great writer, but he doesn't know how to write big team books. His Hawkeye, OML and Moon Knight are great. His Green Arrow run? Amazing. He just can't write this kind of book.

You know what he'd be amazing at? Writing a Cyclops solo detailing what happened in the missing 8 months, or what he's doing right now behind the curtain. Don't believe me? Read his first MK issue. He'd kill it on a Cyke solo.

Give this book to Wood, David or have Bunn be the new Bendis, and give him both books.

And if we really need a "random X-Men adventures" book, then why was Amazing X-Men canceled? The focus of this title show be the OPPOSITE of UXM. They should be saving mutants, and/or going full on Astonishing X-Men to prove to the world that they're still heroes, to create a DISTINCT difference in Storm's methods to Magneto's. Instead the difference is that Magneto is the man, and he knows it, while Storm is CLEARLY just keeping Cyke's seat warm for his inevitable return, or, hell, for Magneto, if he unites both teams.

Seriously, what is the point of this book? What does Jeen, or OML, add to it? How is this helping Storm's character? Why hasn't Iceman taken the secondary command role here? He's longest running X-Man on the freaking team, mutants are sterile, and dying, Cyke apparently went even further off the deep end, and he's still "just there cuz"? This book literally serves NO PURPOSE.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 04-20-2016 at 08:48 PM.

It's been incredibly boring. Honestly, even with Wolverine and the X-Men at its worst, it at least wasn't boring. On top of that, we not only have him beating us over the head with the editorial mandate of mutant doom, but we have possibly the most stupid plot point that I've seen in a while in X-Men where, upon needing some kind of sanctuary form the Terrigen Mists, the X-Men fled to Limbo of all places (seriously, how was the person who even suggested that plot point not laughed out of the room on the spot?). In all honesty, I'm not sure which is worse between this and Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

Spectacular Member

Lemire admitted that he wasn't as strong on team books as he is with solo titles. This is now glaringly obvious. He should be writing a Magick solo as well as OML. He'd kill it. As for who should write EXM? I want to say Bunn, but I don't want him spreading himself too thin and losing the magic of UXM. I really enjoyed Carey's X-Men, especially his Iceman and Cannonball. Also, did anything happen about that rumour that was going around that Remender was the writer for issue 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Lemire admitted that he wasn't as strong on team books as he is with solo titles. This is now glaringly obvious. He should be writing a Magick solo as well as OML. He'd kill it. As for who should write EXM? I want to say Bunn, but I don't want him spreading himself too thin and losing the magic of UXM. I really enjoyed Carey's X-Men, especially his Iceman and Cannonball. Also, did anything happen about that rumour that was going around that Remender was the writer for issue 10?
    Remender, as much as I love him as a writer, doesn't really fit EXM.

He'd be better off with a New Mutants/Academy X for some sort, or X-Factor.

I think given the climate of the mutant situation, Wood, or David, with their more optimistic tones would fit EXM.

I find EXM to be satisfactory so far.

But I do think Bunn is the superior writer and would love for him to write both uxm and EXM. Just like bendis had anxm and uxm to tell his story. Bunn could keep the two books separate but with enough crossover so that the x-verse felt interconnected.

BANNED

I like Extraordinary X-Men the way it is. With that said the mutant persecuted angle is an editorial edict, as we have the same thing in Uncanny. The problems with the terrigen mist and the mutants being in Limbo are a character arc that I think will be resolved sooner than later. We see that Apocalypse took over in the past and decimated mutants and humans, living only Inhumans, Atlanteans, mystics, and moloids. Clearly this is a future that won't stand. A devastated world in a sense is an attempt to have an Apocalypse storyline at the SAME TIME X-Men Apocalypse comes out. So this arc with the Inhumans may be over as early as this year.

Over all the book has been good. The last 2 issues were just ok. I really wish Marvel would stop with the t-mist and no more mutants crap.

BANNED

Don't replace him, you'll get a worse writer.

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Don't replace him, you'll get a worse writer.
    How do you know they may not give us a Wood, David, or Carey?

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    How do you know they may not give us a Wood, David, or Carey?
    Where is Carey?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Remender, as much as I love him as a writer, doesn't really fit EXM.

He'd be better off with a New Mutants/Academy X for some sort, or X-Factor.

I think given the climate of the mutant situation, Wood, or David, with their more optimistic tones would fit EXM.
    I wasn't suggesting Remender. I was wondering if that rumour was true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I don't read Inhumans book for a reason. I dont read Avengers books for a reason. I dont give a damn about those characters. I care about mutants and X-characters.
    That is the #1 reason I hope the mutants get their own planet, universe, or whatever (stocked with flat-scans, of course!)...