Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think MMA necessarily translates well into TV/movie fight scenes. Grappling and going for tap outs just doesn't translate as well as a kick or a punch on the screen a lot of the time.
    they can if shot correctly. Have you watched any MMA movies?
    The J-man

I don't think MMA necessarily translates well into TV/movie fight scenes. Grappling and going for tap outs just doesn't translate as well as a kick or a punch on the screen a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Probably more Kickboxing or Muy Thai. Like Xpac says, grappling doesn’t translate well in entertainment.
    i wouldn't say that, Donnie Yen often uses MMA movies in his mordern action movies and it does look really great. The fights in Flashpoint are a perfect example, where he uses kickboxing and MMA in a very fluid and interesting way.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    i wouldn't say that, Donnie Yen often uses MMA movies in his mordern action movies and it does look really great. The fights in Flashpoint are a perfect example, where he uses kickboxing and MMA in a very fluid and interesting way.
    I came here to say exactly this

They cancel Iron Fist but give the piss poor substitute a movie? Urgh!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I remember when Memoirs of a Geisha came out in 2005, I thought it was amazing, lush, stylish with a damn good story, and the all Asian cast, fronted by Zhang Ziyi (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) as Sayuri was marvelous, however, if memory serves, it didn't fare all that well at the box office, but, that didn't stop me from adding it to my home movie collection. While it's admirable Marvel wants to take a stab at Shang Chi, I suspect they'll make a mess of things here. Let's face it, not ALL their movies have been four alarm successes, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility they could stumble with this venture.
    Yeah, but Zhang Ziyi playing a Japanese character isn't something I don't think would fly now. Same with Gong Li. I mean you could do it, but if it's a big movie people would groan. Especially when they try to speak their non native tongue which is supposed to be native for their character.

As long as it looks good. Needs to even be better than Daredevil.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 12-06-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Taking bets to see which "white" star Marvel tries to squeeze in here to accompany Shang-Chi for most of the movie. Hollywood can not help themselves.
    Well Warner Bros. took a chance with zero white people in Crazy, Rich, Asians. Marvel has no excuse.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

A lot of fight fans don’t even care for grappling, I’m just not sure the general audience will be accept it even if done well.

The trouble with grappling in a movie is grappling moves made by people fighting to the death are very decisive very quickly.

With punches, you can buy that the villain is dominating early, and the hero outlasts him and rallies at the end. There are numerous real-world boxing matches where someone gets badly outboxed in the early rounds, but ultimately wins thanks to an iron chin and superior stamina.

With grappling, the villain dominating early means that the hero will have dislocated arms and basically be a flopping version of the Black Knight from the Holy Grail Monty Python movie. You don't really come from behind in the fifteenth round when two grapplers are fighting to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    Shang debuted a year ahead of Iron Fist, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Well Warner Bros. took a chance with zero white people in Crazy, Rich, Asians. Marvel has no excuse.
    Except that Shang-Chi's comic history has white people in it, particularly from his time at MI:6, so that's really all the "excuse" Marvel needs if they decide to go that route. CRA adapted a book with no major characters who weren't of Asian descent, to the chance WB took was more keeping with the source material.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    Is this post a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Except that Shang-Chi's comic history has white people in it, particularly from his time at MI:6, so that's really all the "excuse" Marvel needs if they decide to go that route. CRA adapted a book with no major characters who weren't of Asian descent, to the chance WB took was more keeping with the source material.
    So? Doesn't mean they should be obligated to, just because there a ton of white players in the source material. Fu Manchu was in the source material too. Probably won't be in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    So? Doesn't mean they should be obligated to, just because there a ton of white players in the source material. Fu Manchu was in the source material too. Probably won't be in the movie.

Astonishing Member

I would love to see Shang Chi succeed but unfortunately I don't think it will. Hollywood has spent decades banishing Oriental males as a comic relief in movies. It's too hard to beat the stereotypes now and I just don't think there's any Asian lead actor that will be able to bring in the masses. I rather see Marvel pass on this movie.