Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I would promote Tessa being a Valkyrie and not necessarily Brunhilde. It would double-down on Asgardians being more diverse than some think. As if Hogun the Grim wasn't a big enough clue of that fact.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Actually, it was established early on she was part Japanese (like an issue or two after the one you just referenced.) her character design just never reflected her genealogy.
    Confirm and agreed. Think Kristin Kreuk.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, that's what Marvel needs, more constant pandering to the movie audience as if that's going to bring in new customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    I wouldn't randomly change the looks of an established character. If they want to have a Valkyrie who looks just like Tessa Thompson, no problem, Odin has dozens of those, just send a different Valkyrie to Earth, it has been done before.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I wouldn't randomly change the looks of an established character. If they want to have a Valkyrie who looks just like Tessa Thompson, no problem, Odin has dozens of those, just send a different Valkyrie to Earth, it has been done before.
    I really wouldn't mind seeing them try out a Valkyrie series...so long as Cullen Bunn was kept far away from it.
    Brunnhilde! Dani Moonstar! New Black One! Samantha Parrington (whom nobody remembers)! And they team of to fight a monster or something.

Niffleheim

Nope to a Valkyrie that looks like TT however i wouldn't mind a book of Valkyries with another version that looks like TT. A book like Secret Wars' Thors.

Mordo, Heimdall and the Ancient One haven't been changed in the comic so why should Valkyrie?

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    I really wouldn't mind seeing them try out a Valkyrie series...so long as Cullen Bunn was kept far away from it.
    Brunnhilde! Dani Moonstar! New Black One! Samantha Parrington (whom nobody remembers)! And they team of to fight a monster or something.
    I dislike the character and Bunn's writing with a passion that i had to promised myself never to buy his books ever lol
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I dislike the character and Bunn with a passion that had me promised myself never to buy his books ever lol
    I like him as often as I don't (Harrow County is fantastic), but Fearless Defenders was pure garbage.

I have never cared for when Marvel blatantly changes something in the comics to match the movies, especially when it hardly ever does anything to impact sales or quality, but if they want to introduce a Tessa Thompson Valkyrie into the comics they can just do that while still keeping Brunnhilde around as the main Valkyrie.

What they can do is create a new Valkyrie like they did with Nick Fury, what just seems pointless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    What they can do is create a new Valkyrie like they did with Nick Fury, what just seems pointless to me.
    Or Nadia as the Hope Van Dyne stand-in in the comics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Who do you think when you think of Heimdall? If Tessa is playing Brunnhilde and she becomes popular and the trailer indicates she will, it makes loads of sense to bring her to the comics imho. Same for Heimdall.
    When I think of Heimdall, I think of the Asgardian guarding the Rainbow bridge in the classic Simonson Thor comic, and when I think of Valkyrie, I remember the cover of Avengers #83 (even though it was Enchantress in disguise), and then of the early Defenders issues, not someone who was seen for 10 seconds in a movie trailer. You don't care about the character as she appears in the comics, so you assume nobody else does. You're wrong to think this. Every character is someone's favorite, and arbitrarily changing a character for no apparent reason annoys me. I love Idris Elba as Heimdall, and I think Tess Thompson will make a decent Valkyrie, but these are the movie versions of the characters, not the comic versions I grew up with. Can't we just keep the movies and comics separate? Val is fine as she is, let's just leave her alone.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Well, hopefully not just like that.
    I wouldn't care for Val being completely changed and removed for the sake of the new character.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    What has been a mess about Marvel Comics? So should Laura Kinny be a little girl now?
    No - but maybe that's the reason Gabby exists.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I would promote Tessa being a Valkyrie and not necessarily Brunhilde. It would double-down on Asgardians being more diverse than some think. As if Hogun the Grim wasn't a big enough clue of that fact.
    Hogun is not Asgardian. Hogun is just hanging out with them.

And, no, i dont want Valk to be turned into a 5 feet tall tiny black woman. That's not what the character supposed to be.

Maybe they can bring a god from another pantheon to hang out with the Valkyries like Hogun.

Hmm... I really like Valkyrie as she is, so I would say no for now. Not that I think MCU changes are bad, but they should only be done if it adds to the character or the MU (Such as Colson and the other AoS character entering the comics) and not in a way to grab movie-goers.

I mean, we are not even sure what type of character she will be.