Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I knew Russell was something special when he did Prez for DCYOU. Fans sadly overlooked it.
    This fan will overlook it no more. Thanks to you. Thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I knew Russell was something special when he did Prez for DCYOU. Fans sadly overlooked it.
    I really need to check that book out. I wasn't paying much attention to DC during the Nu52 so I completely missed it. If it's half as good as Snagglepuss and Flinstones though, I'll have a new favorite Nu52 title.

DC really should give Russell whatever book he wants to write.

Does his cousin Snaggletooth from the Quick Draw McGraw show, ever appear?

Last edited by Güicho; 05-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Incredible Member

Snagglepuss was gay?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    One should also take into account that it's not a given that Russell explicitly asked for a Snagglepuss title. After all, he was reportedly far from amazed when Dan DiDio (or whoever the bigwig who summoned him to his office was) assigned him to the Flintstones series. But since he's apparently very good at turning lemons thrown from life into lemonade, he managed to find a great angle for a series on the modern Stone Age family and it became the jewel it is. Perhaps he's trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice...

Attachment 60755

... and looking at panels like this one, he could very well manage to do it.
    Is that what it looks like? That's kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I love it when we agree.

This might be the best book on the stands lately. I'm so bummed it's a limited series and not an ongoing. I don't want it to end. Huckleberry Hound has become one of my favorite characters during this series and Snagglepuss has too. More Mark Russell, please! Seriously, nobody could do what he's done with Snagglepuss and Flintstones. Give him every book he wants to write, DC. And double his compensation.

Most people here know how I feel about Tom King. He's my favorite comic book writer by far lately. But I have another way of listing favorites too that isn't as exclusionary. WRT music I can say "nobody is better than Bob Dylan" but I can also say "nobody is better than Queen" or "nobody is better than Prince."

To me, nobody is better than Tom King. But it's also so that nobody is better than Mark Russell. They're doing different kinds of things but both are brilliant (IMO only, obviously, since I'm the one that wrote it).

And it seems like King never misses a deadline. I don't know about Russell since I picked up Flintstones after the fact and have only read his Snagglepuss as it hits the stands but every issue has been on time. If he can handle a heavier workload I hope DC will sign him to an exclusive and let him spread his magic far and wide.
    Don't dare make me choose between Snagglepuss and Mister Miracle. I should just shut up and feel lucky that two works like these are coming out at the same time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Snagglepuss was gay?
    IIRC, he had a girl friend on at least one of the Snagglepuss shorts.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IIRC, he had a girl friend on at least one of the Snagglepuss shorts.
    And as we all know gay people never have hetero relationships or pretend to (even in the McCarthy era) so if he had a girlfriend he must be straight.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Don't dare make me choose between Snagglepuss and Mister Miracle. I should just shut up and feel lucky that two works like these are coming out at the same time.
    I feel that way about Snagglepuss, Mister Miracle, Batman, Doctor Star and the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows, and Doom Patrol, just for starters.

I know some people aren't enjoying anything from DC lately but to me we're living in an age where there are as many great DC books as in the post-Crisis years that brought us the most exciting, enduring DC stories of all time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

And as we all know gay people never have hetero relationships or pretend to (even in the McCarthy era) so if he had a girlfriend he must be straight.
    Well, yeah, but they usually weren't an animated character.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I feel that way about Snagglepuss, Mister Miracle, Batman, Doctor Star and the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows, and Doom Patrol, just for starters.

I know some people aren't enjoying anything from DC lately but to me we're living in an age where there are as many great DC books as in the post-Crisis years that brought us the most exciting, enduring DC stories of all time.
    I've been reading for a lomg time and I've always been able to find books I've liked. But the two I mentioned have a kind of magic that is extremely rare. DP's the only other book you mentioned that i read but I don't put it in the class of ESL:SP or MM. It's pretty damn good, though.

I'm still amazed that one scene didn't get mentioned anywhere. Am I dwelling too much on my childhood to have that affect me so much? And I'm not even going to put it in spoiler mode. Read issue 5 and if you don't know what I am talking about, I give up on you. Powerful stuff for both boths.

Snagglepuss was gay?
    Honestly I always thought Wally Gator was the gay one-

Jump to 0:23 https://youtu.be/yJ12t7fdsYM?t=23

And Snagglepuss was just overly theatrical.
    Then again...

Is that what it looks like? That's kind of weird.
    If they looked more like their HB designs, I might check it out.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-04-2018 at 07:35 AM.

BANNED

I'm not reading Mister Miracle but it does sting that NSMatJLC and Snagglepuss will both be ending in June. All I can do is hope for satisfying endings, but toss in that Doom Patrol is seemingly over (for now) and that's all the current DC books I've thought were truly brilliant gone.

I'm still amazed that one scene didn't get mentioned anywhere. Am I dwelling too much on my childhood to have that affect me so much? And I'm not even going to put it in spoiler mode. Read issue 5 and if you don't know what I am talking about, I give up on you. Powerful stuff for both boths.
    I wasn't around during this era and it had just as much of an effect on me. The elegance and power of SP's speech and the scope of subjects it could be applied to...it was simply breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'm not reading Mister Miracle but it does sting that NSMatJLC and Snagglepuss will both be ending in June. All I can do is hope for satisfying endings, but toss in that Doom Patrol is seemingly over (for now) and that's all the current DC books I've thought were truly brilliant gone.
    Are you saying that because of the delays or has there been news of Doom Patrol being over?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Big time fan of Russell's PREZ. I liked the FLINTSTONES too. This has been quite interesting.

I'd love to see him take on Superman.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.