Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Loved the issue!

There was so much to like. That panel with Supes telling the kid to keep his secret was my favorite. I don't know how but that simple gesture felt like a classic Superman moment to me. Loved that.

The last panel was jaw dropping. The actual car! This has been discussed here. I like both the options. The car could be from another earth. Or it could be Superman's first appearance. (Could there be other options?) I think the issue implied the later:Superman's debut involved a car rather then a helicopter. But logically speaking who would drive this kind of car 10 or 15 years ago. In canon Superman debuted 15 odd years ago not the 30's.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    The last panel was jaw dropping. The actual car! This has been discussed here. I like both the options. The car could be from another earth. Or it could be Superman's first appearance. (Could there be other options?) I think the issue implied the later:Superman's debut involved a car rather then a helicopter. But logically speaking who would drive this kind of car 10 or 15 years ago. In canon Superman debuted 15 odd years ago not the 30's.
    If I had to explain it the car would be a vanity thing. The owner either actually drove a classic 1930's era restored car to show off how rich he was or he had a custom built car with a 1990's interior but a 1930's look because he saw himself as some modern day Al Caponr/John Dillinger type.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    If I had to explain it the car would be a vanity thing. The owner either actually drove a classic 1930's era restored car to show off how rich he was or he had a custom built car with a 1990's interior but a 1930's look because he saw himself as some modern day Al Caponr/John Dillinger type.
    Hmmm... that's better. I was thinking that the crooks stole an antique car from a museum. (It sounded forced to me) There are ways to get around this. Yes, its doable.

It would have implications on his character if they go this route. I doubt any modern Superman would do this, except Morrison's. Or who knows its just a visual to represent that the villain was there from the beginning. Bendis may not do anything with the car.

I didn't understand the two page spread of Superman using his xray vision and looking at people on different floors in the building. There was one of a knife, the Flash symbol, a chart, etc.

What was all the images in the thought bubbles supposed to mean? Thats what was on their mind? Superman can read minds now?

The symbols I think are showing that he's quickly applying the topics of discussion in each room. In one room there's a presentation (chart), another the Flash is being discussed (Flash symbol), in another its lunchtime banter (knife), etc.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The symbols I think are showing that he's quickly applying the topics of discussion in each room. In one room there's a presentation (chart), another the Flash is being discussed (Flash symbol), in another its lunchtime banter (knife), etc.
    Good call, SK. Superman is just quickly scanning the room and conversations taking place there.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That bit at the end where Superman gets between Melody and the Red Cloud and tells RC that he can help her turn this around and not to mistake his empathy for weakness...damn that is 100% Superman. Speak softly, but carry a big stick. No speeches, no navel gazing. Effective communication and the ability to meet the needs of others.

Great issue, btw. Loved it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-06-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That bit at the end where Superman gets between Melody and the Red Cloud and tells RC that he can help her turn this around and not to mistake his empathy for weakness...damn that is 100% Superman. Speak softly, but carry a big stick. No speeches, no navel gazing. Effective communication and the ability to meet the needs of others.

Yes that is a quote for the ages, I loved that too. I really like that Action is featuring the Daily Planet staff a lot.

Mighty Member

As much as i've been enjoying Bendis on Superman. I really wish he wouldn't use Leviathan. That's Batman territory. Give Superman his own toys!
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I don't mind it. Bendis has created plenty of Superman-specific characters since he's come on board. Doing one story in one of the titles that borrows another franchise's concept doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-06-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Nice of you to point this out. That was some wonderful writing. People go to extremes. Either too 'soft' or too 'edgy'. This one had more balance. Bendis gets the voice of Superman really well. I observed that right from his spot in #1000. It appears like he has been writing Superman for years.