Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    This one is also amazing

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

So 80s was missing from the original line up and it's.... so good. I really think Middleton is phenomenal and he's outdone himself. This is my favorite, but I did order 60s-90s.

Incredible Member

Well, I preordered online what I’m going to with a few copies of Allred and Chang. I appreciated how comic book-y they were. Allred’s looks almost like Allred inking Swan.

But I want to get the Middleton on a pull list and try to get the Perez one. Not his best ever but it’s a Perez and he doesn’t do covers hardly at all anymore. That’d Be a nice one to have signed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's art, it's subjective. There is no best. If you like his art better at an earlier point in history instead, that's how it goes, apparently. Many artists are around in their mid 20s and end up drawing into the 50s, 60s, or even 70s like Neal Adams. Frank Miller doesn't draw at all like he did on Daredevil. Evidently Lee's in the running for still being close to peak if Suicide Squad and Unchained sold like that under him.

If those would be qualifications to you, "Closest to Swan" is a very vague qualification especially since Ordway is around and actually a guy who inked Swan. Garcia-Lopez hasn't really worked on Superman himself for longer unless you're talking covers, because Jim Lee has pencilled more issues of Superman titles, and almost none of their work is well known in the sense that a high number of the people who see random licensed material (assuming that's your reference) couldn't possibly tell you which artist drew it.

Ultimately though again, it's all just preference. Whatever we like better, it's hard to say someone doesn't deserve the work they're given based on our personal bias.
    No offense, but this is subjectivist nonsense. Even in art there are standards of quality that result from factors like natural talent, years of experience, and quality of training. Jim Lee's art may "sell," but so too do the Michael Bay Transformers movies and Zack Snyder's "DC Movies." Alex Ross' art, for example, is far superior to Jim Lee's. That cannot be argued and art scholars would agree. While you can indeed like something based on personal preference, there are still objective criteria for determining quality, without which we'd have no critical analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Well, I preordered online what I’m going to with a few copies of Allred and Chang. I appreciated how comic book-y they were. Allred’s looks almost like Allred inking Swan.
    Agreed.

BANNED

Art is not a hard science.

A piece of art can adhere to pre-determined standards and be well-crafted but that does not make it objectively good. Those standards weren't objective, they were a consensus, and within art there are different schools of thought, so what meets the standards of one school of thought may fail another.

Not to mention that there has been art that was considered bad because it defied existing standards, then has gone on to be considered amazing and set different/new standards.

I think someone else did a better job explaining this to you some months ago.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We finally have a cover with new 52 Superman, art by Nicola Scott

Pre order here: https://t.co/XaJzn23nZh

This might be my new favorite. Lots of representations, I dig it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

loooove it, why are almost all the best covers region-specific? This, Kaare Andrews', Fabok's...

I'm gonna say that's meant to be...Shuster, Fleischer, Boring, Swan, Christopher Reeve (the hands in front of him are the giveaway, recreating that one promo shot), Ordway, Jurgens, Gene Ha (the hair), herself, and well, I suppose essentially herself again.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Ugh. Not only the New 52 version, which has already been retconned out of existence, but also the Earth-2 Superman who probably doesn't exist anymore either in light of Rebirth? I'm very glad this wasn't one of the main variants.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Ugh. Not only the New 52 version, which has already been retconned out of existence, but also the Earth-2 Superman who probably doesn't exist anymore either in light of Rebirth? I'm very glad this wasn't one of the main variants.
    They've all been retconned out of existence; it's just an era tribute cover, it would have been strange and rude not to include the most recent guy (Earth 2's weird, but since Nicola Scott was the original artist for that book I suspect she may have helped design him along with Lee, so that's a fair personal inclusion on her part).
    Buh-bye

This is an appreciation of Superman's entire history. There's absolutely no good reason outside of personal spite as to why New 52 Superman or Earth-2 Superman shouldn't be represented in some form. It especially makes sense that this particular artist's cover contribution would feature them because she drew both of them in interiors in their respective books at one time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-08-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This is an appreciation of Superman's entire history. There's absolutely no good reason outside of personal spite as to why New 52 Superman or Earth-2 Superman shouldn't be represented in some form. It especially makes sense that this particular artist's cover contribution would feature them because she drew both of them in interiors in their respective books at one time.
    I don't mind New 52 Superman as much, but the Earth-2 Superman's inclusion is ridiculous. The Kingdom Come Superman would have made complete sense, however, or the Earth-Two or All-Star versions.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love this so, so much. Weird that Earth 2 is there but I dug that design and Nicola came up with it so it makes sense that it's included.

I wish George Reeves was on there in black and white but that's prolly just a "me thing".
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

I like this cover. I get what they were going for and I'm cool with it except for maybe Earth-2 Supes.

All-New Member

Stanley “Artgerm” Lau for those interested. Three total versions, regular, line art and vintage. (Vintage shown)E9027E91-D734-4097-861D-F3ACDC561321.jpg
    http://buymetoys.com/catalog/action-...e-vintage.html

3rd line art edition is for those who order the set.
    Last edited by bjwalker1371; 03-09-2018 at 08:24 PM.