Page 744 of 745 FirstFirst ... 244644694734740741742743744745 LastLast
Results 11,146 to 11,160 of 11164
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Man that's what I fear actually. I really hope that isn't the reason. For several things. First I don't buy that a headpiece could cancel out TP. That's a silly thing, better is to say EM Force mutation + willpower can dampen TP effectiveness. Secondly, they're supposed to be on the same team and I was hoping their antipathy was more of a playful thing and not yknow, like actual hostility

I like the headpiece much more as a ceremonial/symbolic gesture like announcing her new role or something to the world and it would be a psychological factor when she encounters either adversaries or potential allies
    I've always liked that they gave Magneto's helmet a reason behind it. I know the electromagnetic spectrum can do a number of things, but I feel like that reasoning is just as far fetched as a protective headpiece. As Emma has said, they have similar goals, but don't like one another. They respect each other, and work with one another, but aren't going to be close. I think its only natural to feel uneasy with three telepathic and manipulative girls. I personally think that's a strong enough reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Yes, she has been hinting about the need.

I wouldn’t want people reading my mind who I trust completely much less shall we say coworkers with their own possible agendas. That said it seems even amongst the Cuckoos there will be division. Without telepathic protection she really isn’t an independent player amidst a gaggle of telepaths given they know her cards before she lays them on the table.

Hard to play chess that way.
    Yeah, we've seen how manipulative the Stepfords are behind the scenes, and with Lorna now working with them, I'm sure she'll become more aware as well. With there being three of them, I would suspect that Lorna would want something to level the playing field.

Man that's what I fear actually. I really hope that isn't the reason. For several things. First I don't buy that a headpiece could cancel out TP. That's a silly thing, better is to say EM Force mutation + willpower can dampen TP effectiveness. Secondly, they're supposed to be on the same team and I was hoping their antipathy was more of a playful thing and not yknow, like actual hostility

I like the headpiece much more as a ceremonial/symbolic gesture like announcing her new role or something to the world and it would be a psychological factor when she encounters either adversaries or potential allies
    Following comments by me are regarding the broader convo of powers of Polaris Prime (read: the greater concept of Lorna that transcends any one version or interpretation of her).

The headgear can be a lot of different things rolled into one. It can be used as a weapon, and definitely as a symbol. Related to powers however, I think it's only good if she's learning how to use pseudo-psychic powers in the early stages. Not so much for amplifying them (I think that only applies to younger versions of Lorna, e.g. teen), but control. Like training wheels on a bike until learning how to keep balance. After that, the headgear could retain its other uses and possibly cause dumber enemies to underestimate her ("if we get her headgear she'll be easy to take down").

About the pseudo-psychic bit. I talked to Abnormally about this before (and I think here too at some point), but Lorna's powers could extend into uses akin to a low-level psychic to further differentiate from her father. She can access electromagnetic brain waves for telepathy, affecting memory, pinging where people are, etc. The base nature isn't the same as for a full-fledged psychic, but her powers could still act the same fundamental way.

Important to this are 1) Lorna wouldn't be as powerful as a full-fledged psychic, and 2) this use of her powers would supplement what she already has, not replace it. Like giving Superman laser vision to go with his super strength, not taking away his strength or making laser vision all you ever see him use.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Emma Dumont getting a headcasting. A interesting procedure where one makes a life size mold of ones head for various purposes. I imagine most of us can imagine the possibilities on what they could test out a mold of her head for so I will leave it at that as nothing more needs to be said.

qq.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be for the headpiece right???? Like, to make it fit her face perfectly?? OMG. I'm so excited right now. I hope that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I can't wait to see the end result! So excited we'll get to see Emma wearing that at some point. ...

BANNED

... if it comes off as... not corny I hope so
    ... I don't buy that a headpiece could cancel out TP. That's a silly thing...
    Gotta say, AN, I don't get this line of thinking. First of all, silliness AND corniness (to some degree), kinda come with the territory. Ya know... comics, superhumans, it's all a bit preposterous to begin with, when ya think about it.

Second, I trust you feel the same, about say... Cerebro, and the like? I mean, if ya can accept inorganic materials (+tech) amplifying TP abilities, how hard can it be to do the same with something that dampens and/or prevents them completely? These types of things, are tropes of the genre, and it's literally... LITTERED with them. Brings to mind the old adage:

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post

I am very interested in seeing how exactly they pull it off.

Its great hearing about it, but I think we will be much more excited watching it come to pass. Her having a clear world view, philosophy (and her own personal concept of problem resolution) and developing her background down to her religion are the sorts of things that are key to building a well rounded character that isn't a flash in the fry pan, that tens of millions globally will remember.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-02-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Gotta say, AN, I don't get this line of thinking. First of all, silliness AND corniness (to some degree), kinda come with the territory. Ya know... comics, superhumans, it's all a bit preposterous to begin with, when ya think about it.

Second, I trust you feel the same, about say... Cerebro, and the like? I mean, if ya can accept inorganic materials (+tech) amplifying TP abilities, how hard can it be to do the same with something that dampens and/or prevents them completely? These types of things, are tropes of the genre, and it's literally... LITTERED with them. Brings to mind the old adage:

To me I guess it's a matter of degree or balance. Like yeah obviously this is all fundamentally fictitious and so if you just keep asking questions eventually anything will collapse. But it's kind of the difference between that, and sort of... things just popping out at you basically screaming "this is a contradiction/absurd" you know? Sort of how any work of fiction has to make some effort to maintain the suspension of disbelief in the audience. Sometimes your immersion can be shattered if things just seem really weird or truly impossible.

Cerebro is advanced Shi'ar tech I would not compare that to ... a simple helmet?

Again though it's all about the details and execution in the show itself. It very well might "work out" and be awesome. I am just kind of saying my "all else equal" take on it. Not that in no way could I still enjoy it being this way
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Forum Freezes Cause Double Posting

OBEY

Scientists Discover That Our Brain Waves Can Be Sent by Electrical Fields

Some actual scientific information about brainwaves in the real world.

Can brain waves interfere with radio waves?

Radio waves and brain waves are both forms of electromagnetic radiation — waves of energy that travel at the speed of light. The difference between brain waves, radio waves, and other electromagnetic waves (such as visible light, X-rays, and Gamma rays) lies in their frequency — that is, how often the waves peak and trough in a second.

Radio waves, which include radio and other wireless transmission signals, as well as other natural signals in the same frequency, peak and trough at between 50 and 1000 megahertz — that’s between 50 million and one billion oscillations per second.

The human brain also emits waves, like when a person focuses her attention or remembers something. This activity fires thousands of neurons simultaneously at the same frequency generating a wave — but at a rate closer to 10 to 100 cycles per second.

Interference happens when two waves of the same or very similar frequencies bump into each other. This might happen when the signals from two radio stations, both broadcasting at 89.7 megahertz from different cities, bump into one another. “The shape of the waves changes linearly, they add to and subtract from one another,” says Dimitrios Pantazis, director of the Magnetoencephalography (MEG) Laboratory at MIT’s McGovern Institute. As a result, songs become static.

But, says Pantazis, since their frequencies are so wildly different, brain waves don’t interfere with radio waves.

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/a...h-radio-waves/
    Brainwaves are electromagnetic waves and that isn't pseudo science. The pseudo science is that there might exist telepaths who can hijack and manipulate brainwaves and brain signals. Its also pseudo science that you have people who can manipulate electromagnetism.

In terms of electromagnetism manipulators once one achieved anything like the skill of a late Austen era Lorna or an Excalibur Claremont era Magneto their own powers should be able to be used to basically stop any electromagnetic signal coming at them (brain waves, radio waves, UV waves) they don't want from reaching them. The comic version of both characters have been significantly de-skilled since then. Lorna more then Magneto, but both of them were de-skilled.

When it comes to the idea that a special kind of metal could be worn on ones head to prevent foreign brain waves from reaching their destination. That isn't far-fetched at all. Even strong forms of electromagnetic radiation can be protected from by say lead because of how the atoms are bound. That there might be other more light weight metals in nature with similar, but more extreme protective properties from EM is more then reasonable and its a quest right now by NASA and others to find the type of metals that work best for keeping out all forms of electromagnetism.

Study Finds Metal Foams Capable of Shielding X-rays, Gamma Rays, Neutron Radiation

Research from North Carolina State University shows that lightweight composite metal foams are effective at blocking X-rays, gamma rays and neutron radiation, and are capable of absorbing the energy of high impact collisions. The finding means the metal foams hold promise for use in nuclear safety, space exploration and medical technology applications.

“This work means there’s an opportunity to use composite metal foam to develop safer systems for transporting nuclear waste, more efficient designs for spacecraft and nuclear structures, and new shielding for use in CT scanners,” says Afsaneh Rabiei, a professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering at NC State and corresponding author of a paper on the work.

Rabiei first developed the strong, lightweight metal foam for use in transportation and military applications. But she wanted to determine whether the foam could be used for nuclear or space exploration applications – could it provide structural support, protect against high impacts and provide shielding against various forms of radiation?

http://lego-marvelsuperheroes.wikia....perheroes_Wiki
    In the end the helmet is used for telepathic protection because it gave something Magneto has historically worn a purpose and it makes it easier for the public at large especially for something live action to have a simple and straight forward answer for when a character is protected from telepaths, but its also not at all unreasonable that a special mix of various metals manage to keep out virtually any electromagnetic signal.

For a a high end electromagnetic manipulator as I said no helmet should be logically needed to deflect any kind of foreign electromagnetic wave including telepathic coming at them as long as they are conscious, but comic Lorna has been nowhere near her peak skill set under Austen and The Gifted Lorna just moving away from only metal bending.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-03-2018 at 04:27 AM.

BANNED

... Cerebro is advanced Shi'ar tech I would not compare that to ... a simple helmet?...
    No it's not, or at least, hasn't always been. And again, I think you're trying to make a mountain, out of a molehill. It's like Superman's X-Ray vision being blocked by lead, it deserves a shrug of the shoulders, and ya just move on. Must be a personal pet peeve of yours, I guess, this helmet thing.

You guys are killing me with the helmet stuff

Yes the helmet is stupid

why? Because it makes telepathy way too weak then

ANYONE could just wear a helmet and presto, telepathy is of no concern

What about the Sentinel Services agents who got mind controlled? They had on... drum roll... helmets? I mean wtf

Also jmc I think it'd be OP if Lorna could 100% totally avoid all psychic manipulation I just think it could be sort of a more passive resistance not "total abatement"

It's also a matter of trusting your teammates, growing into them as more like, war comrades. The kind of paranoia that makes you want a way to negate their powers is unhealthy

Edit: Let me be clear though... to get back to the actual topic this all sprang out of for some reason. I am happy she is apparently getting a headpiece of sorts for the show and I hope it looks natural/realistic/cool. Mostly because it helps the stature of her character to seem more imposing and like... grand. (NOT because it helps her avoid being "manipulated" by the Cuckoos.)
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 08-03-2018 at 05:48 AM.

OBEY

BANNED

Your reasoning is stupid, quite frankly. Like I said, pet peeve. Not just ANY helmet, of course. Though militant, anti-Mutant forces, have been shown to use anti-TP, combat wear, in various stories of the past. And psst... ya know, helmets... can be removed. Not to mention, hello, JUGGERNAUT! Also, TP can already = OP, IMO. That power NEEDS to be nerfed, to some degree, otherwise... it's almost like magic, it can do ANYthing! Just ask Charles & Jean.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-03-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Your reasoning is stupid, quite frankly. Like I said, pet peeve. Not just ANY helmet, of course. Though militant, anti-Mutant forces, have been shown to use anti-TP, combat wear, in various stories of the past. And psst... ya know, helmets... can be removed. Not to mention, hello, JUGGERNAUT! Also, TP can already = OP, IMO. That power NEEDS to be nerfed, to some degree, otherwise... it's almost like magic, it can do ANYthing! Just ask Charles & Jean.
    Not just any helmet ok, well if there is some sort of explanation as to why Lorna's headgear works when other helmets don't then fine I guess

Helmets can be removed... sure ok I guess so

Yeah the Juggernaut thing is where this started but that was supposed to be linked to the mystical cyttorak power or something not just "helmet", like his outfit is essentially mandated by his transformation its why it doesnt fall apart even under extreme physical intensity

Your point about TP potentially being OP is a good one but at least on the show I feel the TP shown by the Cuckoos is already pretty limited, it seems limited by physical proximity and their ability to concentrate. Plus they already have the limitation of their eyes shining blue whenever they use it, which would be a gigantic warning sign to anyone nearby. They also don't seem as quick with their TP as in the comics either.

But I made other points as well which went unaddressed, Meh it's alright

I'll just conclude by once more saying I'm happy Lorna is potentially getting a headpiece on the show, and I hope it looks awesome, and it would be good to raise her stature and get her to seem more intimidating

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

There's a lot of over thinking going on. If Xavier is capable of building a device that can find mutants, then why hasn't the government done something similar? Why doesn't everyone have one? The argument as to why others haven't given themselves anit-telepthay helmets is because its a comic book property. Not everything is going to make sense. Its unique to certain individuals, and in The Gifted, it's part of Lorna's lineage. I'm really curious as to how she'll go about getting it.

BANNED

... But I made other points as well which went unaddressed, Meh it's alright

I'll just conclude by once more saying I'm happy Lorna is potentially getting a headpiece on the show, and I hope it looks awesome, and it would be good to raise her stature and get her to seem more intimidating
    Fair enough, and good enough, for me. You do make some solid points, and I prefer finding middle ground, when it comes to consensus. Much of the time, a happy medium, is best.

On the subject of metals:

As for my talk of Lorna's powers used in pseudo-psychic forms, being "low-level" rather than on par with full-fledged psychics, there are a few reasons behind my saying that.

First is that I viewed psychic abilities more in a "spiritual" sense. Psychic energy functioning differently. However, if psychic energy is basically just electromagnetic energy with a different name, then Lorna could certainly operate as a full-fledged psychic.

Second is that saying she's able to use her powers at same level as full-fledged psychics kinda seems like a raw deal for psychic characters. Suddenly, Lorna's able to do all the same things they can just as well as them but she can do more on top of it.

Third and final is avoiding "power replacement" or the like, as I said previously. Too much emphasis on the psychic capabilities runs the risk of Lorna functionally becoming a psychic, with writers "forgetting" or rarely using her ability to manipulate metal, cause EMPs, etc. If they're low-level, they serve as a tool in her power belt, instead of becoming the main power she uses. And there are plenty of psychics running around for Lorna to get lost among them if that were to become her focus, same as when Claremont tried to remove her real powers and give her super strength.

Of course, "low-level" really only applies to the usual, expected usage of those powers. Doesn't necessarily apply to if she were having a Dark Phoenix/House of M Wanda moment. In that context, I think Lorna would be unbelievably powerful with all possible uses of her powers.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)