Page 54 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758641041545541054 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    I will chime in and advise this as well. I am just waiting for clearance sales to get my omnibuses.

The thinner paper, change in hardcover design and higher prices have made me feel like a grumpy old man. Heck even the plastic that seals the new books feel cheap.

Now get off my lawn.
    There are more and more books for me that I'm not getting and hoping for clearance. The price hikes are crazy and it's not just because costs are going up or else all similarly sized books would be priced about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    There are more and more books for me that I'm not getting and hoping for clearance. The price hikes are crazy and it's not just because costs are going up or else all similarly sized books would be priced about the same.
    ...or other, smaller companies (like IDW or Dark Horse) would be disproportionately affected due to their smaller print runs and they'd be forced to hike prices even higher than Marvel does. But no...Dark Horse is still offering books like Fear Agent Library Edition vol 2 for $50 or the 1360 page Big Damn Sin City for only $100. And IDW isn't asking $69.99 for the next GI Complete OHC. Marvel just thinks its customers are fanatics who'll buy anything at any price, so they keep on pushing up prices and lowering quality until they find the point where enough of their best customers say they've had enough. But if they push past the breaking point, they may find it difficult to win back a large portion of their consumer base.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I've been debating between the New Avengers Omnibus vs OHC for the series. I think I prefer OHC for ease of reading. Is there a reason that I should or shouldn't go one way or the other? I think with good deals on used OHC I can keep the costs about the same.
    Well the omni you get a sewn binding, but the ohcs youll get shelf uniformity if you want the whole run. Decent prices too on amazon. Who knows if a second will ever come out to finish that run, if it did itd be thin paper not glossy like the ohc

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    ...or other, smaller companies (like IDW or Dark Horse) would be disproportionately affected due to their smaller print runs and they'd be forced to hike prices even higher than Marvel does. But no...Dark Horse is still offering books like Fear Agent Library Edition vol 2 for $50 or the 1360 page Big Damn Sin City for only $100. And IDW isn't asking $69.99 for the next GI Complete OHC. Marvel just thinks its customers are fanatics who'll buy anything at any price, so they keep on pushing up prices and lowering quality until they find the point where enough of their best customers say they've had enough. But if they push past the breaking point, they may find it difficult to win back a large portion of their consumer base.
    The comparison doesn't work when you leave the same company though and you're just going to frustrate yourself thinking that way. DH and IDW are not Marvel, do not have the same profit requirements, do not have the same overhead, do not have the same personnel (I'm sure Marvel's authors and artists get paid more) and are generally different in every way.

But you don't even NEED to compare Marvel's to anyone but itself to see the proof that they could very well put out books like FF Vol 2 for cheaper. In fact, it's a better case and even more indicting to compare it to itself. I don't buy Brevoort's answer one bit.
    Last edited by Captain Planet; 05-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.

All-New Member

This has seem to be the price complaint thread instead of the omnibus thread :lol:. Maybe we need a pricing complaints only thread as well, is that a possibility?

Re: The Annihilation Omnibus, I really like the stories in the book but the white spine kind of bugs me for some odd reason. It's a great looking book and whomever picks it up I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by ultlife2013; 05-13-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
    This has seem to be the price complaint thread instead of the omnibus thread :lol:. Maybe we need a pricing complaints only thread as well, is that a possibility?

Re: The Annihilation Omnibus, I really like the stories in the book but the white spine kind of bugs me for some odd reason. It's a great looking book and whomever picks it up I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    I know this was partially in jest, but a few posts or pages referencing prices or any other issue related to collected editions is on topic.

amazon have just fix'd their prices on a lot of the books we have been discussing. a whole lot better than the 5%, still reckon it could be better.
    ...better than $125.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    I purposely skipped vol. 1 because I was afraid of this. If 2 goes on clearance I may go for both.
    Just be wary of the fact that FF Vol. 1 sold very well. Therefore, it might be worthwhile checking its availability and price from time to time due to the possibility of it going OOP. With FF Vol. 2, I think it's a given that the majority of us will be waiting for clearance, unless Marvel wises up and changes the RRP to $99.99 before official release.

The complete estimated comic book sales figures for April 2014 are in (please note this list only details those comics sold to North American Comics Shops as reported by Diamond). I’ve listed below the Marvel OHC/Omnibus/MMW’s as well as the larger TPB collections such as the Epic, Ultimate and Complete lines that made the list (position, title, est. sales).

5. Amazing Spider-Man Family Business HC - 6,762
    26. Deadpool By Daniel Way Vol. 3 Complete Collection - 2,493
    37. Uncanny X-Men Omnibus HC Vol. 2 - 2,251
    48. Superior Spider-Man HC Vol. 2 - 1,916
    56. Captain America Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection - 1,773
    82. Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man HC Vol. 16 - 1,288
    88. Marvel Zombies Vol. 2 Complete Collection - 1,243
    138. Spider-Man Firsts TPB - 921
    155. Infinity Companion HC - 842
    156. Thor Epic Collection Kingdom Lost - 838
    157. Daredevil Epic Collection Fall From Grace - 830
    197. X-Men Age of Apocalypse Omnibus Companion - 688
    210. Astonishing X-Men Whedon Cassaday Vol. 1 Ultimate Collection - 643
    217. Oz HC Wonderful Wizard of Oz New Ptg - 628
    255. Deadpool By Daniel Way Vol. 1 Complete Collection - 552
    284. Captain America Winter Soldier HC Movie Cvr - 503

Some observations:
    The AMS Family Business OGN sold very well, Marvel’s biggest seller since their previous OGN - Avengers Endless Wartime which moved 9,024 units back in October 2013.
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2, probably the most eagerly anticipated Omnibus of previous years, not surprisingly was an Omnibus best seller.
    X-Men Age of Apocalypse Omnibus Companion didn’t do too well probably due to bad word of mouth. Expect this to go at clearance prices at some point.
    The Ultimate and Complete Collections continue to sell well with Deadpool leading the charge, whereas the “new” Epic Collections sold less than 900 units each.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Interesting how low the Winter Soldier HC sold compared to the Ultimate Collection. The paperback sold three times as much as the hardback.

Then again, the OHC might appeal more to the bookstore crowd.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Interesting how low the Winter Soldier HC sold compared to the Ultimate Collection. The paperback sold three times as much as the hardback.

Then again, the OHC might appeal more to the bookstore crowd.

Spectacular Member

Stern SM didn't make that list?

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    Stern SM didn't make that list?
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus was in last month's list at #108 with 1,135 copies sold.

Quote Originally Posted by g7x2000 View Post
    amazon have just fix'd their prices on a lot of the books we have been discussing. a whole lot better than the 5%, still reckon it could be better.
    ...better than $125.
    The trial of Captain America Omnibus is down to $71.92 (28% disc.), Young Avengers Omnibus down to $35.59 (29% disc.), FF Hickman Omnibus Vol. 2 down to $86.67 (31% disc.) and Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus down to $69.59 (30% disc.).

Maybe Amazon has buried the hatchet with Hachette?

These just landed:

20140514_172860.jpg