Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Default The Shocker Appreciation thread

I've found spider man's wisecracks to him to be damn funny.

A spider man enemy that has proven to be sane and rational compared to other spider man enemies recognizing his limits.

Incredible Member

I don't like it when people try to write Shocker as a really dangerous character(like in Mark Waid's first story during BND). The characterization in Ultimate Spider-Man and in Superior Foes is just right for him.

Here, here for the Shocker. Great character. Just picked up ASM 46, his first appearance.

Shocker can be very dangerous when motivated and should be written as such. No need for the full out coward displayed sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    I don't like it when people try to write Shocker as a really dangerous character(like in Mark Waid's first story during BND). The characterization in Ultimate Spider-Man and in Superior Foes is just right for him.
    He's suppose to be that not some chump or thug for hire that spider man has no problem defeating along with others.

Why did he not look for a legit job, why does he think that extorting and robbing banks is going to give him a professional reputation.
    What does it mean he acts more professional.
    Smart enough to create his Suit and gauntlets in freakin prison, and crack safes, he shouldn't be some freakin chump that spider man and others beat he should be a powerhouse that can defeat wolverine, black panther, Luke cage and most other street level super heroes or super villains.
    Also sub mariner if in the right area.

To damn smart to be a thug or assassin for hire, he should be running his own operation of making cash in a unethical way.

Love shocker. Way back in 2010 when there was talk about a thunderbolts b team I really wanted him to be on it. I'm not sure if they put him on the team I had to drop comics right after that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    Here, here for the Shocker. Great character. Just picked up ASM 46, his first appearance.

Shocker can be very dangerous when motivated and should be written as such. No need for the full out coward displayed sometimes.
    Really a original one? Has to be freakin expensive because that's early classic old school spidey the very early years.
    I assume by your username your a fan of the rhino a enemy of spider man.

Shocker the great unused one not written to his full potential.
    Again should be a powerhouse in the street level super villains league.
    Completely agree he needs his Gail Simone or Geoff johns. Along with that one great story that changes it so all other writers follow.

So if this were sports a team that could be great but doesn't have the right coach see the 49ers with Harbaugh one season compared to so Singletary.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Love shocker. Way back in 2010 when there was talk about a thunderbolts b team I really wanted him to be on it. I'm not sure if they put him on the team I had to drop comics right after that.
    Villains for hire. He's in the limited series.
    I'll read the rest even though I feel discouraged with making him a chump in a issue.
    But I think I'll still read the rest even with that discouraging event.

With everything it did wrong, one aspect I liked about "The Amazing Spider-man 2" videogame was the look of Shocker. Sure, he's only in the game for about 10 mins but I really liked seeing a "realistic" take on his outfit and gloves. I also liked what small character motivation he had. How he didn't want NYC to become overwhelmed with super powered freaks like Spidey, I found it to be quite interesting and I wish Beenox had done more with it.

Shocker is awesome. I honestly haven't read enough Shocker stories. Aside from Unscheduled Stop and ASM #151-152, are there any other ones that stand out?

Also, has Shocker ever been shown without his costume?

Shocker's costume is just the best, isn't it? Mattress man ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgeek 2.0 View Post
    With everything it did wrong, one aspect I liked about "The Amazing Spider-man 2" videogame was the look of Shocker. Sure, he's only in the game for about 10 mins but I really liked seeing a "realistic" take on his outfit and gloves. I also liked what small character motivation he had. How he didn't want NYC to become overwhelmed with super powered freaks like Spidey, I found it to be quite interesting and I wish Beenox had done more with it.
    The cushion, the couch, etc I love those wisecracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Shocker is awesome. I honestly haven't read enough Shocker stories. Aside from Unscheduled Stop and ASM #151-152, are there any other ones that stand out?

Also, has Shocker ever been shown without his costume?
    In Superior Foes he is often without his costume.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    He's suppose to be that not some chump or thug for hire that spider man has no problem defeating along with others.

Why did he not look for a legit job, why does he think that extorting and robbing banks is going to give him a professional reputation.
    What does it mean he acts more professional.
    Smart enough to create his Suit and gauntlets in freakin prison, and crack safes, he shouldn't be some freakin chump that spider man and others beat he should be a powerhouse that can defeat wolverine, black panther, Luke cage and most other street level super heroes or super villains.
    Also sub mariner if in the right area.

To damn smart to be a thug or assassin for hire, he should be running his own operation of making cash in a unethical way.
    I want to like the Shocker, but I think the character has had a few strikes against him:

The writers can't seem to decide whether he is a legitimate threat or a complete joke, they pick one or the other.

Also I'm not sure if we ever get any real good character spot light stories with him. We already established he is a greedy thug, but what kind of greedy thug is? Does he have any moral ethics or is he just some scum bag? He supposed to be more professional then other Spidey villains, but does that mean exactly? For example, there was a story where he was willing to kill 12 jury members because some insane mob boss wanted to send a message system (which makes no sense, so that particular boss was off his rocker), so is assisting that particular scheme doesn't seem very professional, if he was professional and just in it for the money, wouldn't he want to avoid that type of crime that would put him on every hero's radar? Maybe more should be established about his professionalism and what it means and how it informs his character.

It might also be interesting to explore why is he a criminal instead of someone who tries to make money legitimately? He seems to have some scientific skills, so it might be interesting to see why he decided to use them for crime, rather then some other venture.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-31-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don’t get why people write Herman as a coward. He’s a normal human with homemade gear fighting a guy who can lift ten tons. That takes balls of steel.

If anything his reluctance to fight Spider-Man if another option presents itself just proves that he’s more practical than other villains. Revenge is a sucker’s game and he’s a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    In Superior Foes he is often without his costume.
    shocker.jpg

Here's him without his mask on, checking out Beetle