Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Secret Avengers (2014) Appreciation - Caramel Gelato Edition

Started like a team-book version of Fraction's Hawkeye, now with Nextwave-style caramel gelato. Interesting direction for such a title.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

It's a little too cute. I'm glad Spider-Woman's being used, because I love Spider-Woman, but I think writer has underestimated her. The art didn't satisfy me this issue, either. It's too bad. This page from #2 was great.

I'll check in and hopefully pick it up after awhile. I think the book has promise. It appeals to me. It's just a bit lackluster right now.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't mind it, but when I was reading the issue I knew it would bug the people who are actually into Spider-Woman. I'd certainly say Kot is stronger with characters like the Widow. I like all three issues, but I'd say 1 and 3 were a little stronger and I'm still very excited about this book.

Most team books these days don't actually feel like teams, so I'm grateful for the dynamic we already have three issues in.

There was a line in yesterday's issue (#3) that I feel like was an attempt to resolve the whole Jessica-as-a-newbie issue. Natasha said something about her thinking of Jessica as a rookie despite her field experience. So it sort of seemed like an acknowledgement that Kot (via Natasha) hadn't given Jessica enough credit. The portrayal of Jessica has bothered me a bit, but that seemed like a small step in the right direction?

Also, I love caramel gelato.

BANNED

For me it's the best book from All–New Marvel NOW.

All New X-Factor gets my vote for best new book right now.

I started reading it for The Fury and now I love everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    For me it's the best book from All–New Marvel NOW.
    Secret Avenges, Black Widow and Moon Knight for me.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

And with issue #3 I am out. Can't stand the characterizations and the overly-cutseyness of the whole thing.

BANNED

Yeah it's super cute, but it's entertaining and has good art. So why not, you know? Thats why i'm reading it.

Not what I expected from Ales Kot after reading ZERO, but I've been enjoying the Hawkeye-ness of it so far and it remains the only Avengers book I'm getting. I love the team dynamics, first time I've ever cared for nü-Nick Fury and Coulson, so that's an accomplishment.

But Spider-Woman as the "rookie" doesn't work at all, and I miss Mockingbird terribly. Along with Natasha, they had the Marvel Universe Charlie's Angels right there and they missed it completely.

The art team is of great appeal to me, too. I just wish the story had a little more substance sometimes. The Lady Bullseye appearance was really disappointing.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

I just wish the story had a little more substance sometimes.
    I don't see it that way. For me, the story has a lot of substance to it, it's just not as obvious due to the narrative's lighthearted tone. There's a lot of subtext, especially in-between panels. Based on Ales Kot's interviews, he's very much interested to explore the gray areas of these characters (brilliant example is that multiple choice page with Black Widow). There's also a madcap vibe to the title that creates great opportunities for thematic exploration. It's also not everyday that you see a comic book showing caramel gelato trumping nihilism.
    Last edited by Trilipush; 05-16-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Incredible Member

Wayyyy too cute for me.

Not a fan of this growing trend at Marvel lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Wayyyy too cute for me.

Not a fan of this growing trend at Marvel lately.
    Lol that's what literally brought me to Marvel. (Well, that and Whedon... a lot Whedon, but that)
    Might have to check this out.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-16-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Amazing Member

Yep. It's not really a trend since the so-called "cutesy" titles don't even constitute half of the titles being released by Marvel. It just means there's a need for tonal diversity across the line and that need is now being filled by creators who have their own stories to tell.