Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Does it really matter if we "Get" it now? If in 4 years we don't "Get" it then they did a terrible job. They can't come out and connect the dots for us yet. Have Trust in them for starting over. WHOLE new regime from the CEO on down without the other players that capitulated to each others whims. How you have a literal "Hand of God" over it all and not a bunch of Ego's that cry when someone says no and then runs to tell mommy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm really tired of this take on Waller.
    That’s literally her whole deal. What would you prefer to see? Heroic Waller?

Mangold? Interesting. Things are looking up for DC Studios already if this is true, and it kind of seems like it is, with that Tweet from Mangold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Creature Commandos are Monsters.

Swamp Thing would be considered a Monster by most in universe.

Authority could be considered Gods and Monsters given their powers and actions.

Superman & Supergirl are God like when compared to humans.

Waller may be human but is a monster who uses potential gods for her dirty work.

Paradise Lost is about the Amazon got their powers and island from the Gods.

Lanterns have God like powers to the causal observer given they can create stuff out of thing air.

Batman is considered a creature of the night by his foes and the public and Damian was raised by assassins another type monster.

The only project not to fit the mold is Booster Gold.
    Fair enough, it just doesn’t really speak to me as mythic as the title itself sounds. I think that’s mostly due to the lack of ‘Gods’ really.

Then again, I was never into the DC heroes being seen as Gods anyway, so it’s probably just a me thing

Can’t say that I’m excited about any single announced project. But maybe that will change.

Back at the beginning of the MCU, I never thought I’d be excited for an Ant-Man movie.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    A big problem with Snyderverse was that his plan was too rigid and Warner Bros kept trying to change the plan and doing it poorly.
    Well isn't WB the elephant in the room here? They are still in charge and can still force unwise course changes at will like they did with the Snyderverse.

My main concern with this is that you need hits to fend off WB's interference. Huge hits. Marvel style hits. And the characters and themes being chosen just don't lend themselves to blockbuster hits. Not in and of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, because GotG was an unexpected hit for me, in spite of the same reservations. But prior to that movie, the MCU had started with the classic stuff and built that first.

Everyone's big problem with Snyderverse seemed to be that the characters were unrecognizeable.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-01-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well isn't WB the elephant in the room here? They are still in charge and can still force unwise course changes at will like they did with the Snyderverse.

My main concern with this is that you need hits to fend off WB's interference. Huge hits. Marvel style hits. And the characters and themes being chosen just don't lend themselves to blockbuster hits. Not in and of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, because GotG was an unexpected hit for me, in spite of the same reservations. But prior to that movie, the MCU had started with the classic stuff and built that first.

Everyone's big problem with Snyderverse seemed to be that the characters were unrecognizeable.
    I was a fan of Smallville and most of its take on Clark, Barry and Arthur felt more like an extension of that show. It's just that the show was about teenagers so it's easier to give them some slack. Clark not wanting to be Superman is easier to swallow when he's 15 than in his 30s.

Snyder was playing chess and not checkers like the MCU was. So when Warner Bros kicked him out, the JL film became lame and uninspired. Snyder had a vision while Whedon was just redoing the Avengers but weaker.

I'm not a DC diehard nor do I care that much about the big 7. So Snyder would've been better picking some unknowns than the big guns. Go with the Wildstorm characters and we'd have less grief.

I guess Warner Bros problem is the same as Sony's. They want a discount MCU but are they willing to do anything interesting with it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah but Snyder also found a way to make the first ever Batman and Superman film do less than a billion and get largely panned which was supposed to be the big lynchpin to the film universe that got everything going. I kinda get pumping the breaks on Snyder when he manages to botch Batman and Superman that badly while being given the free reign to make choices like killing Superman, having an older DKR style Batman, a zany Lex Luthor, etc.

As far as DC's current slate, it's mostly classic. Superman is their starting point. They are building off that with Supergirl. We are getting a Batman film. Then a Green Lantern and Wonder Woman tv show. Aside from Flash and Aquaman those are pretty much the classics. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Authority are ultimately going to be the villains that end up showing Superman that he needs to create a league and show the world a better way. Then Swamp Thing sets the table for some of the more Vertigo side of things.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I thought to myself today, after reading a Gunn interview excerpt about "superhero fatigue"...it'd both fittingly ironic and tragic if DC does all this significant rebooting (to a lot of good ends) only for some hypothetical future superhero media fatigue to crushingly make it all a lot less profitable than they had hoped. DC/WBD basically being exposed as being...too late, and thus punished for it.

(note: I'm not saying I predict it will any way turn out like this. I'm just musing really, pondering the possibility)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-01-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

The other question in this which is kind of big actually. Will WB/Discovery give him the budgets he needs? I mean these TV shows will need some money. A Green lantern show, I expect special effects. He says its True detective mystery, and terrestrial. Does that mean cheap detective work with light GL effects?

Paradise lost would need some money too. It has to still look as good as we have seen the Amazons so far in WW.

Waller you can get away with a Peacemaker s2 budget. It actually sounds like that sort of using peacemaker characters.

Authority will have to be pretty expensive I would think and as others have said. If they stay realistic to the comics, Midnighter/Apollo will limit box office because of the homophobia factor right off the bat in some countries. They flip out at even the most tame same sex stories. I think it would be a cop out to water down the relationship so hopefully they don't.

You really wont be able to judge the new direction until Superman. Shazam, and Blue Beetle can flop and it not be his fault really since they seem so far developed. And we all know Flash and Aquaman are way into development.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Snyder was playing chess and not checkers like the MCU was.
    That got a genuine laugh out of me. Thank you.

Lol yeah, me too. That was not the correct analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    That got a genuine laugh out of me. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Lol yeah, me too. That was not the correct analogy.
    I'm here all day.

A better one would be putting their eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 03:39 PM.

They’re totally going to cancel this entire slate after the second film doesn’t do a billion aren’t they?